Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Anyone using SBC DSL?

I just swithced over from $50/month Charter Pipeline, to $15/month DSL and could not be happier...

Oddly enough, now when I run an IP lookup, it maps my IP being just north of El Dorado, Kansas - not Connecticut... Whereas my old Charter actually pegged my correct town/state...

Anyone else have SBC DSL and can run their IP addy?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've had it for a while. No complaints.

Perhaps you'd better explain to our less computer-literate readers how one looks up their IP address.
    Of course, I know how to do it and could explain it easily, but it's your thread and I wouldn't want to intrude.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

I've had it for about 5 years now and am pretty happy with it. One thing you should know to save yourself a few bucks. When I joined it was under one of those one year contracts for a low price. Once the year was up and my bill diverted back to the "normal" price I called up customer service and asked why the price increase, was told that the price I was being charged was for new customers for 1 year. So I asked well can't you just keep me at the rate I was at, also did a little complaining that the $ was high, and they rolled back the discount for another year.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I've had it for about 5 years now and am pretty happy with it. One thing you should know to save yourself a few bucks. When I joined it was under one of those one year contracts for a low price. Once the year was up and my bill diverted back to the "normal" price I called up customer service and asked why the price increase, was told that the price I was being charged was for new customers for 1 year. So I asked well can't you just keep me at the rate I was at, also did a little complaining that the $ was high, and they rolled back the discount for another year.
    I did the same thing with Comcast. I had a one-year deal when I switched from DSL to Comcast (adding internet to my cable and phone package) and then that deal expired. My monthly bill increased $25 dollars, I called them, apparently charmed the lady on the phone and simply by adding the channel Starz, my bill went down $50. Sounds ridiculous but I'm not complaining. The lady told me to not let the 1-year low price deal expire. I guess SBC does the same thing. The sad thing is that there are a lot of people out there who won't make that call and just keep paying it. Think of it--I saved $50 by adding a channel. Whatever..

I had a lot of problems with SBC. The DSL wasn't that great, but their customer service people weren't so great and their technicians (at least the ones I dealt with) were not very knowledgeable. But I have friends in town that have SBC DSL and love it. Personally, I like Comcast internet much better.
    But, to each their own...
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I did the same thing with Comcast. I had a one-year deal when I switched from DSL to Comcast (adding internet to my cable and phone package) and then that deal expired. My monthly bill increased $25 dollars, I called them, apparently charmed the lady on the phone and simply by adding the channel Starz, my bill went down $50. Sounds ridiculous but I'm not complaining. The lady told me to not let the 1-year low price deal expire. I guess SBC does the same thing. The sad thing is that there are a lot of people out there who won't make that call and just keep paying it. Think of it--I saved $50 by adding a channel. Whatever..

I had a lot of problems with SBC. The DSL wasn't that great, but their customer service people weren't so great and their technicians (at least the ones I dealt with) were not very knowledgeable. But I have friends in town that have SBC DSL and love it. Personally, I like Comcast internet much better.
    But, to each their own...
    Exactly, my sister had comcast and always ran into problems where it slowed to a crawl. She switched to dsl and it was actually faster. For me I live near a central hub for dsl so my speed is higher than someone who is further away. The thing I still find amazing is that your phone line and dsl are on the same 2 little wires and you can still surf the internet and talk on the phone all on the same phone line.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    The thing I still find amazing is that your phone line and dsl are on the same 2 little wires and you can still surf the internet and talk on the phone all on the same phone line.
    As long as you have a filter on the phone jack, right? I had to put a little filter piece on all the phone lines in the house in order to use the phone while surfing the net.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yes, be sure the filters are on!! DSL works by using the audio frequencies out of human hearing range to transmit data (that's how you can talk & surf at the same time), so it can screw you up big-time not having the filters on everywhere but your DSL modem line.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Yeah I have them on every line but what I was getting at was there is no separate DSL line in the house. Just the same phone line I always had.