All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default eBay...and I'm now pissed at it

This is my little rant here...

A while ago, eBay used to be my friend. It used to be all of our friends.
    Over the last few years things have changed drastically. I don't like it.

What happened to the days when eBay was used as an auction tool not a profit center?
    I remember bidding on things and winning them at a good price. Granted it was mostly used stuff. Now, there are so many people selling new shit it's hard to get a "deal" anymore. People charge outlandish fees for shipping and handling and sellers of used stuff now ask full retail pricing for their "used" shit, while new items go for more than full retail.
    I know, I know. If I don't like it, don't use it. And for the most part I don't anymore.
    Maybe it's because eBay charges fees out the ass now a days. Don't even get me started on PayPal.

In any event. I miss the eBay of old.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

I've noticed a trend towards over the top postage fee's on ebay australia as well. Just don't buy off em I guess.

Last night I noticed a guy listing 500 xbox 360 packages at $250 (au). THe same package would be $700 (au) or more retail. Scam anybody?
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

there is a lot of that stuff going on but i still find it easy to avoid those high shipping costs and mega sellers...then again, it might be that I never tend to look to ebay for stuff like xboxes and whatnot...i utilize it for older, more obscure and harder to find items...cd imports, older music gear...and i've had nothing but good experiences. However, I have been watching a lot of Ipods lately just to see if it might be worth picking one up and man, the listings are littered with those power sellers dumping "new" ipods and for some reason the auctions are getting right up to regular retail. This amazes me...there are a lot of people that, once you factor in shipping, are paying MORE than they would if they just went to the apple store. I don't get it.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

ya it kinda sucks, for music gear you can still get good deals, but you have to really shop around, really learn to read feedback and kinda of use your favorites.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i got a SMOKING deal on a Washburn P4 Nuno sig...it was a dream of mine to own one and I found a black one in pretty damn good condition. I also get great deal on CDs all the time...I replaced three cds two weeks ago and paid less than 25 bucks total...

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post
    This is my little rant here...

People charge outlandish fees for shipping and handling.
    That's the only problem I have with buying anything on eBay. I've had people try and charge me upwards of $10 for shipping when it comes to small items like a CD (that I would win for $2), paperback books, etc. Then, when I get the package, I see a postage stamp on the package that reads something along the lines of "$1.30". Pisses me off.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vince G. View Post
    That's the only problem I have with buying anything on eBay. I've had people try and charge me upwards of $10 for shipping when it comes to small items like a CD (that I would win for $2), paperback books, etc. Then, when I get the package, I see a postage stamp on the package that reads something along the lines of "$1.30". Pisses me off.
    $1.30 is shipping, I guess the other $8.70 is for handling, which when you consider gas prices, that could cover the trip to the post office!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Pass.

It's that simple folks, it cost money to list items.

Eventually prices will settle to an amount that a buyer agrees with.
    Simple economics.

For some it may be a simple reason, like perhaps certain items are not availlbe in the area in which the buyer find themselves in.

The added costs is payment for someone to go buy you that item,
    get back in their car, box it it up then go back to a postal store to send it to you. You pay for that service.

I agree with the sentiment that some people are paying more for an iPod than had they gone to an Apple store. But what if the nearest Apple store is 500 miles or more away? But if it exceeds Apple.com shipping costs you're stupid!

Maybe some people are just too stupid to do their homework first.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have found that one can still get a bargain if bidding on a fairly commonplace thing such as a CD or even something that is not so commonplace but is plentiful in supply. The secret is not to bid on the auction ending first. If one waits a few days until the second or third listing of the same product comes around, one can still get a good price. This just happened to me. The first auction ended in a bidding war, by the third auction I could get the item for $20.00 less.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

I have used it a lot to find things that aren't available in the stores. One of the most common is concerts shirts that have been altered for women. My wife loves them and you can't find them in any store so it is really the only place to shop. I found a good deal on a roof rack for my truck that was used once and I bought it for 1/2 of what the dealer was charging for a new one. I have bought toys for my kids, mostly because you couldn't find them in the stores and yes I paid more than what the store was asking if they had it but they didn't. If you are buying on ebay I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. If it is that gotta have xmas present than I doubt you will find any deals.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Exactly, I recently purchased a copy of the Globe. It cost me a couple bucks less than what the Boston Globe's web site was charging. But yikes 12 dollars for a newspaper. I essentially paid someone to go to a Cumberland Farms, buy me a copy and then mail it to me.

I recently bought a vintage Fisher Price airplane. Can't find those at Target. I used it to give my wife round-trip air fare to her girlfriend's home in Oakland.

My big beef is the feedback that's not given from those power sellers. But then again why should someone get "positive" feedback for doing simply what's expected.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to buy and sell quite a bit on eBay, but don't so much anymore. I've not had much problems with buying items and probably will continue to purchase hard-to-find things off of eBay. But with selling, the fees have gotten to high when you add up all the listing fees, the final value fees, and the PayPal fees. Plus with all the competition out there, it's hard to sell something at a decent price and make much money. I also miss the eBay of old.

However, I've had some good success with craigslist.org. I've put 4 items for sale on there and have had responses within just a few hours of the posting. They are all local so there is no shipping issues, and most of the time pay in cash. We also just purchased a brand new rack for our servers in our office for only $50. These normally sell for several hundreds of dollars.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CaboBrian View Post
    I used to buy and sell quite a bit on eBay, but don't so much anymore. I've not had much problems with buying items and probably will continue to purchase hard-to-find things off of eBay. But with selling, the fees have gotten to high when you add up all the listing fees, the final value fees, and the PayPal fees. Plus with all the competition out there, it's hard to sell something at a decent price and make much money. I also miss the eBay of old.

However, I've had some good success with craigslist.org. I've put 4 items for sale on there and have had responses within just a few hours of the posting. They are all local so there is no shipping issues, and most of the time pay in cash. We also just purchased a brand new rack for our servers in our office for only $50. These normally sell for several hundreds of dollars.
    craigslist is awesome!!