Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Boy Scouts banned from donation collections for Troops...

Cambridge, MA: Big-hearted Boy Scouts collecting donations for care packages for U.S. troops are still scratching their heads after being sent packing from polling stations when Cambridge officials ruled their generous effort “political.”

“We just wanted to make a lot of troops happy,” said Scout Patrick O’Connor, 16. “I was devastated that someone would think to take (the donation boxes) out,” he said.

O’Connor of West Cambridge was one of the Scouts who wanted to collect toiletries, magazines, candy and other items for care packages after one of his relatives was injured in an IED explosion while serving in Iraq.

“He mentioned to me that some people got care packages from home and how happy it made them,” the Scout said.

Troop 45 Cambridge Boy Scouts placed boxes in the city’s 33 polling stations on Election Day with the permission of the Cambridge Election Commission.

Then one resident in one precinct complained about the implied “pro war” message, according to Marsha Weinerman, executive director of the Election Commission. The city’s law department was consulted and “it was determined that the best course of action would be to remove the boxes,” Weinerman told the Chronicle.

But someone complained to the city, allegedly claiming the boxes were a “political statement,” and the boxes were removed.

“This was not about supporting the war or any politician or political view. This was supporting the brave men and women who are stationed overseas,” said troop committee chairman Jamisean Patterson, 35.

Patterson said the Scouts were given verbal permission by the city election commission twice and at the polling stations as well. A promotion for the polling place collections was still up yesterday on the Veterans’ Services Department section of the city’s Web site.

Marsha Weinerman, executive director of the city’s election commission, confirmed she received a complaint on Election Day, “Because I did not have confirmation that the Boy Scouts had obtained permission to put their boxes in the buildings, the boxes were removed.”

Cambridge Vice Mayor Timothy J. Toomey Jr. said a breakdown in communication, rather than malice, led to the boxes being removed.

“Boy Scouts Troop 45’s efforts to support our troops are a benefit for the entire community, and the council will be working with them to ensure that their goals are fully realized,” he said in a written statement.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

I say we find out who this knucklehead is that complained. I'm sure there's lots of people who'd like to say a couple of things to them.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I applaud this kid for his efforts to send support and comfort to our soldiers over there. This just really seems to reflect a 'loathing' of the military in my view - but that could be construed as way too simple an explanation.

I'll wait to see how Mike L weighs in so he can tell us what's really going on here.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    I say we find out who this knucklehead is that complained. I'm sure there's lots of people who'd like to say a couple of things to them.
    Knucklehead to receive 200 lashings...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I can kind of understand that you want to keep voting places "pristine" and remove all inferences to anything remotely associated with any past, present, or future religious/policy/political-associated topics, but the Cambridge city lawyers should have played the PR game and said "we have to remove them from here, but we'll put them somewhere else and kick start this great idea with our own $xx,xxx contribution because our soldiers abroad are so important" or something to that effect.

But these bureaucrats didn't and now they look like USA/Boy Scout/Armed Forces-hating buffoons that only a mother of an ACLU attorney could love. It makes it tough to defend them against accusations that they really don't care about our troops in Iraq because they don't support the war now.

imho

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's stupidity that makes people unable to separate support for the war from support for the troopss. Did we not learn our lesson with the vets coming back from Vietnam?

And Smithtone, nice idea that Weinerman could have handled the situation right then and there but instead the city has to backtrack to keep from looking like fools.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm still pissed that it took the complaint of one person to remove the red headed, rather buxom prostitute from Disney World's "Pirates Of The Caribean" ride. Look, this is not a political issue. It's one of common sense.

Actually, the lack of it.

Gee...I wonder what in hell ever happened to the notion of "Support The Troops, Not The War"? The actions at work here, from the complainer to the mind-numbing reaction to the fallout, are downright embarrassing on far too many levels.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.16.07 at 11:15 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I'm still pissed that it took the complaint of one person to remove the red headed, rather buxom prostitute from Disney World's "Pirates Of The Caribean" ride.
    Here ya go, Chef

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I'm still pissed that it took the complaint of one person to remove the red headed, rather buxom prostitute from Disney World's "Pirates Of The Caribean" ride. Look, this is not a political issue. It's one of common sense.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C0A961958260

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks Yerfdog!

I just don't get how that is offensive. Chances are kids would not even recognize this figure as a prostitute. No fishnets, no bustiere and obviously no "Huggy Bear" type standing in the shadows.

You did notice the authors name here, right voivod? Tom KUNTZ !
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.16.07 at 01:39 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Huggy bear was a pim??

Say it ain't so! This changes everything..

Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...