Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default Warm to icy beer in seconds

This is pretty cool!!

A young New Zealand inventor has found a solution to the unpalatable problem of a can of warm beer - a device that turns a tepid beverage into a cold drink within seconds.

And the portable gadget, which has a cooling capacity almost four times that of regular ice with the advantage that it doesn't water down your drink, could spell the end of lugging a heavy chilly bin to the beach.

The penny dropped for Kent Hodgson, a 22-year-old student from Albany, while having a few quiet ones around a barbecue with his mates early this year.

"We brought along a box of beers which was warm so we put them in the freezer to cool them down.

"I thought how cool would it be if we could replicate that. I mean, no one likes warm beer or a diluted drink and I was inspired."

Mr Hodgson calls his invention Huski, which is among the 30 exhibits from top graduates of Massey University's Auckland School of Design at the three-day Design Exposure 2007 beginning today at Britomart Pavilion.
    He explained the rapid cooling beverage process he mastered as being "extremely simple".

"You have plastic cooling cells which are pressed down into the dock which houses the liquid carbon dioxide. The liquid CO2 expands and is pressurised into dry ice in the base of the cooling cells ... in a moment.

"You then pop it into your drink and then proceed from there as you normally would."

With a surface temperature of minus 78.5C, dry ice has a cooling capacity almost four times that of the same amount of regular ice.

"The cooling power is almost instant and is utilised for several minutes and it doesn't dilute the drink like ice would," said Mr Hodgson.

One canister can fill thirty 330 ml bottles at a cost of 7c each, which makes it an ideal alternative for those who don't want to lug around a chilly bin during the summer.

Mr Hodgson said he was looking at patenting the Huski, which he expects to retail at around $50.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

What about the science of this? I mean if one has a bottle of warm beer, and the beer inside the bottle goes to damned cold really quick while the bottle's outside temperature remains static, wouldn't the glass shatter?

I'll say the same thing I say to folk that are stuck not being able to purchase beer on a Sunday until afternoon: If you plan to tailgate or start drinking early, plan ahead. Buy your beer (and refrigerate it) in advance of the need.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    This is pretty cool!!

A young New Zealand inventor has found a solution to the unpalatable problem of a can of warm beer - a device that turns a tepid beverage into a cold drink within seconds.

And the portable gadget, which has a cooling capacity almost four times that of regular ice with the advantage that it doesn't water down your drink, could spell the end of lugging a heavy chilly bin to the beach.

The penny dropped for Kent Hodgson, a 22-year-old student from Albany, while having a few quiet ones around a barbecue with his mates early this year.

"We brought along a box of beers which was warm so we put them in the freezer to cool them down.

"I thought how cool would it be if we could replicate that. I mean, no one likes warm beer or a diluted drink and I was inspired."

Mr Hodgson calls his invention Huski, which is among the 30 exhibits from top graduates of Massey University's Auckland School of Design at the three-day Design Exposure 2007 beginning today at Britomart Pavilion.
    He explained the rapid cooling beverage process he mastered as being "extremely simple".

"You have plastic cooling cells which are pressed down into the dock which houses the liquid carbon dioxide. The liquid CO2 expands and is pressurised into dry ice in the base of the cooling cells ... in a moment.

"You then pop it into your drink and then proceed from there as you normally would."

With a surface temperature of minus 78.5C, dry ice has a cooling capacity almost four times that of the same amount of regular ice.

"The cooling power is almost instant and is utilised for several minutes and it doesn't dilute the drink like ice would," said Mr Hodgson.

One canister can fill thirty 330 ml bottles at a cost of 7c each, which makes it an ideal alternative for those who don't want to lug around a chilly bin during the summer.

Mr Hodgson said he was looking at patenting the Huski, which he expects to retail at around $50.
    Funny that I would chime in on this. You can also take your can, or bottle of said rodeo cool beer and spin it directly on the ice for about 5 to seven minutes and it's ice cold. Trust me it works. It's a way of beer life down here in the summer time. Out.
    Last edited by track 5; 11.15.07 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I meant spin not rotate. Fucking engrish.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

What about something like this in reverse that would warm things up instead of cooling them down. A guy could use it on an ice cold vagina.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    What about something like this in reverse that would warm things up instead of cooling them down. A guy could use it on an ice cold vagina.

Got one. It's called a tounge.

Ted
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

"What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

"What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

i love my beer with some ice in it!!!
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

I knew a guy once that drank Coors light over ice... so basically he was drinking water..
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Eruption
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post
    Funny that I would chime in on this. You can also take your can, or bottle of said rodeo cool beer and spin it directly on the ice for about 5 to seven minutes and it's ice cold. Trust me it works. It's a way of beer life down here in the summer time. Out.
    YES! This is the proven method that we used in hotel rooms across the country while we were on tour!! It works great!
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

my brother in law once did something like putting the beer in a tub of ice and then pouring salt on the ice. he said it chills the beer in seconds.
    anyone hear of this?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Doesn't this belong on the 'What's on my Christmas list' thread?
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by namedmydaughterHALEN View Post
    my brother in law once did something like putting the beer in a tub of ice and then pouring salt on the ice. he said it chills the beer in seconds.
    anyone hear of this?

Yes, I've heard of this, much the same way that you use ice and salt to make ice cream. The salt melting the ice causes it to get cold quicker.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by namedmydaughterHALEN View Post
    anyone hear of this?

Yeah, the salt releases the thermal energy of the ice faster(via melting). The beer will get colder quicker but the ice also goes away faster. The beer can actually get cold enough to freeze when you pop the top.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

delete
    -TVH-