Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.03.08 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Need help adjusting the neck on my Wolfgang

I have a 1997 Wolfgang Standard. There a wheel at the base of the neck to adjust the neck. Do I need a special tool? The wheel has holes that look like some tool goes in, but ??? Can I loosen the strings to adjust or do I need to take them off? Which direction looking down the neck to the headstock make the guitar bow in or out?

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c2dzmm View Post
    I have a 1997 Wolfgang Standard. There a wheel at the base of the neck to adjust the neck. Do I need a special tool? The wheel has holes that look like some tool goes in, but ??? Can I loosen the strings to adjust or do I need to take them off? Which direction looking down the neck to the headstock make the guitar bow in or out?
    No special tools are needed to adjust the neck. Just use the allen wrench for the locking nut. Quick lesson:

This is how I do it anyway. Hold down the bottom string at the 1st and last fret, using the string as a straight-edge. Check the clearance at the 8th fret. the clearance should be just enough to slip a piece of paper between the string and the 8th fret. It's really a matter of personal preference, but that is where I put it, and I've never had a problem with fret buzz.

Making the adjustment is pretty easy. To decrease the fret-to-string clearance, turn the wheel toward the bottom of the guitar. To increase the clearance, turn toward the top of the guitar. Don't turn the wheel more than a quarter turn at a time. Make a small adjustment, check it, and make another small adjustment until you get it where you want it. Don't be scared, you can't screw it up unless you go nuts and start cranking the wheel a bunch.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the lite tough is the right touch...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sure do appreciate it.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    No special tools are needed to adjust the neck. Just use the allen wrench for the locking nut. Quick lesson:

This is how I do it anyway. Hold down the bottom string at the 1st and last fret, using the string as a straight-edge. Check the clearance at the 8th fret. the clearance should be just enough to slip a piece of paper between the string and the 8th fret. It's really a matter of personal preference, but that is where I put it, and I've never had a problem with fret buzz.

Making the adjustment is pretty easy. To decrease the fret-to-string clearance, turn the wheel toward the bottom of the guitar. To increase the clearance, turn toward the top of the guitar. Don't turn the wheel more than a quarter turn at a time. Make a small adjustment, check it, and make another small adjustment until you get it where you want it. Don't be scared, you can't screw it up unless you go nuts and start cranking the wheel a bunch.
    I can adjust anything myself on the guitar but the neck adjustment I could never get it right.

I'll try your steps next time. Sounds like a great way to do it.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got my neck adjusted. I also adjusted the tremolo height. Actions is much lower and playability is much easier. Also polished my frets and cleaned my fret board. The guitar plays so very smooth.