Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default New York Governor Spitzer Abandons Driver's Licenses for Illegals Plan

WASHINGTON — New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer has decided to abandon a plan to issue driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, officials familiar with the decision told The Associated Press Tuesday night.

The governor is due to meet Wednesday morning with New York's congressional delegation, many of whom openly oppose the program. Debate over the issue also has spilled into New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential campaign.

The governor's office signaled to New York lawmakers Tuesday that Spitzer will say at the meeting that he is shelving the plan and that immigration is a federal issue to be handled by Washington, according to congressional aides who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because no formal announcement had been made.

Last month, Spitzer sought to salvage the license effort by striking a deal with the Department of Homeland Security to create three distinct types of state driver's licenses: one "enhanced" that will be as secure as a passport; a second-tier license good for boarding airplanes; and a third marked not valid for federal purposes that would be available to illegal immigrants and others.

Clinton has been criticized by her Democratic and Republican rivals for her noncommittal answers on the subject. She has said she sympathizes with governors like Spitzer who are forced to confront the issue of immigration because the federal government has not enacted immigration reform. She has not taken a position on the actual plan offered by Spitzer.

A Spitzer spokeswoman did not immediately reply to an e-mail seeking comment.

The governor introduced the plan with the goal of increased security, safer roads and an opportunity to bring immigrants "out of the shadows."

Opponents charged Spitzer would make it easier for would-be terrorists to get identification, and make the country less safe. Many New Yorkers agreed with them.

About 70 percent of New Yorkers oppose the license plan, according to a Siena College poll of 625 registered state voters released Tuesday. The poll, conducted Nov. 5-8, had a sampling margin of 3.9 percentage points.

"As I've said on numerous occasions, this is a tough issue," Spitzer said Tuesday in New York City. "And it's one where we're continuing to try to talk to the public, explain why we took the position that I have thus far, and explain what issues we're trying to address. But I understand — you don't need to see the most recent poll to understand that this is an issue that has touched a nerve in the public and we're trying to address that in a thoughtful, modulated way, and then we'll see where we go."

Assembly minority leader James Tedisco and Senate Republican leader Joseph Bruno have argued the governor's plan is illegal and opens a door for terrorists. Both welcomed the report that Spitzer was preparing to abandon the plan.

"Governor Spitzer abandoned his plan to give licenses to illegal aliens because the people of this state abandoned him and overwhelmingly said he was wrong," Bruno said in a statement Tuesday night. "It was also recognition that we were prepared to stop any effort to allow such an ill-conceived and wrong-headed plan to go forward."

Republican Tedisco called the governor's reported change of direction "a great victory for New Yorkers and all Americans."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gosh - I hope Wolf Blitzer doesn't ask Hellary about this Thursday night...

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the Dems are hitting Hillary so hard on this (and other things), that if she does make it through and gets the Dem nomination, she is going to be so battered and bruised, she won't do as well against the GOP. All the GOP is gonna have to do is re-use all the ammo that the Dems have dug up themselves. (Incidentally, I can't see anybody else but Guiliani winning the GOP side - even with all his issues, I still think he's the most electable GOP option).

Just my opinion. Guess we'll see what happens. I'm kind of already ready for this election to be over. Problem is, still really don't know what is best for us as a whole. Makes it hard to vote for one candidate over the other (because is there that big of a positive difference from one to the other?).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think the main opposition was that it was easier for terrorists to get legitimate ID, I think the main opposition is that people that are here illegally are given a "legal" status.

As for the post about the candidates, the difference between candidates is huge. One wants to pull out of Iraq tomorrow, the other wants to pull out when stability is restored. One wants to raise taxe, the other wants to cut or hold them where they are. One wants federal universal healthcare, the other wants to leave it to private companies.

As for what's better, well, that's for you to decide. I think it would be best if they were forced to work together, but that's just me.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

How many of these assholes had driver's licenses?

Enough said.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I don't think the main opposition was that it was easier for terrorists to get legitimate ID, I think the main opposition is that people that are here illegally are given a "legal" status.
    If only it were so simple, eh?

Immigration status is a legal term. It's not defined by whether or not someone has a license. The ways in which illegals can get legal status are well defined. They have nothing to do with a driver's license.

Some of you guys (Cabot, for instance) seem to lead a sheltered life. Illegals often possess driver's licenses, along with quite a few other forms of official ID. Birth certificates, SS cards, state IDs... there's an industry that revolves around this. Illegals buy someone else's birth certificate. They can buy SS cards. They can use those two to get just about any form of ID they need.

Guess who's name all of that is under? Certainly not their own. That's the fucking problem. Let's say you get in a fender bender with Jose Blow. You think that's his real name? Think the license he has actually IDs him? That his insurance paperwork (if he has it) is legit? Good luck.

The whole idea with behind driver's licenses for illegals is to get their real identities into the system and create some accountability. In other words, to protect good, honest people from having the misfortune of getting into a wreck with someone who doesn't exist.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Sure, really sheltered, I've got yesterday's Arizona Repugnant folded over me.

Let's see, umm who's gonna be the first to sign up for a legit driver's license?

Jose Blow is going to march into the local DMV and blow the fact that he's been living here under Michael L's name all these years?

Yup fat chance!

Go night-night, it's late and it's time for bed my friend.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah, because, you know... there aren't any new illegals showing up, like, ever...

Can you see?

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    I think the Dems are hitting Hillary so hard on this (and other things), that if she does make it through and gets the Dem nomination, she is going to be so battered and bruised, she won't do as well against the GOP.
    Huh? I'm not a big Hillary fan, but she seems to have the personality of a pit bull to me. I don't foresee her getting bruised by anyone. Her tenacity will probably be the key factor in her getting elected. Personally I would rather see Obama as the front runner, but I don't see him as much of a hardcore political fighter, which is what it will take to win the election.

Do you think Hillary would pick Obama as her running mate?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

If it is really that easy (which it apparently is, they just busted a place making fake IDs about 20 minutes away from me), there is no incentive to do it legitimatly. If they can get away with it, why give their name to the government?

Also, they are not given legal status. Yes, they are given a status: "Illegal immigrant." Big difference.

Also, you should always call the cops whenever you get into a fender bender. Wait until they come and sort everything out. If you do that, they'll find out Jose really isn't Jose. If the guy leaves, you report his license plate number (or description of car) and he gets pulled over later for leaving the scene of an accident.

There, problem solved. And no immigrant-pandering for votes needed. I'll go back to my sheltered existence now.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    Huh? I'm not a big Hillary fan, but she seems to have the personality of a pit bull to me. I don't foresee her getting bruised by anyone.
    It's already happened. She tucked her dick between her legs and pulled the 'ra...errr.....chick card'.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And no immigrant-pandering for votes needed.
    That is what this is really all about anyway.

70+% of this country is against this garbage because these people are Illegal!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If it is really that easy (which it apparently is, they just busted a place making fake IDs about 20 minutes away from me), there is no incentive to do it legitimatly. If they can get away with it, why give their name to the government?
    Expense and the legal problems associated with falsely identifying yourself, particularly if they make a false claim to citizenship.

Also, they are not given legal status. Yes, they are given a status: "Illegal immigrant." Big difference.
    You said you were concerned about them getting a legal status. No driver's license can give them any sort of legal status.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yes it does. The problem people have with it is that the government recognizes their existence but does nothing to expel them from the country. What you are doing is giving them rights (the ability to legally drive a vehicle in the United States).

The cost of getting illegal id doesn't seem to be prohibitive now, so I don't know what you think is going to change.

He pulled the plan anyway because everyone pointed out the stupidity of it all, so this discussion is all really a moot point.