Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.09 @ 07:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Speaker Question

Hello... I have a question regarding speakers.

If I have a 100 watt amp, are there "requirements" as to the wattage of the speakers?

Example - The carvin Legacy combo is a 100 watt amp, and when it debuted it had 2 greenbacks in it. Those are 25 watt speakers? Isn't that how speakers get blown? Pumping 100 watts through 2 25 watt speakers? Please educate me?

Also, the 5150 III has 4 20 watt speakers... Can someone explain how this works?

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaystayflaar View Post
    Hello... I have a question regarding speakers.

If I have a 100 watt amp, are there "requirements" as to the wattage of the speakers?

Example - The carvin Legacy combo is a 100 watt amp, and when it debuted it had 2 greenbacks in it. Those are 25 watt speakers? Isn't that how speakers get blown? Pumping 100 watts through 2 25 watt speakers? Please educate me?

Also, the 5150 III has 4 20 watt speakers... Can someone explain how this works?
    Hi there. I am no expert by any means but what I think I know is that is has something to do with the ohm load of the amp. If you exceed the ohms then I think you will blow the speakers.

I could be completely wrong though...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Hi there. I am no expert by any means but what I think I know is that is has something to do with the ohm load of the amp. If you exceed the ohms then I think you will blow the speakers.

I could be completely wrong though...
    That could be... So anyway, if I bought a Legacy combo (100 watt) and it has 2 25 watt speakers in the cabinet, I should trust Carvin that if I have a large gig and crank it I am not going to blow the speakers???

I supposed Eddie has been Cranking 5150 IIIs everynight so far this tour and not blown his 20 watt speakers? I don't get all this sound wave and electronic stuff... I just like to make noise with it...

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as long as the ohms of the head match the ohms of the cabinet your fine. many people use only one speaker cabinets for w/d/w rigs so there is less to lug around. you will be fine just make sure the ohms match. your never gonna crank that thing to where you could blow a speaker anyways. if you do either the bar is gonna throw you out or the rest of the band. now you can run a lower ohm output into a higher rated cabinet. like my power amp is only 8 ohms and drives my wet cabs. this is ok cause 8 going into 16 will just lower the power. flip that and then your gonna be running into problems.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    as long as the ohms of the head match the ohms of the cabinet your fine. many people use only one speaker cabinets for w/d/w rigs so there is less to lug around. you will be fine just make sure the ohms match. your never gonna crank that thing to where you could blow a speaker anyways. if you do either the bar is gonna throw you out or the rest of the band. now you can run a lower ohm output into a higher rated cabinet. like my power amp is only 8 ohms and drives my wet cabs. this is ok cause 8 going into 16 will just lower the power. flip that and then your gonna be running into problems.
    Thanks for your help!