Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting the Balance tone from a 5150

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a sound out of my 5150 212 similar to Eddie's tone on the Balance album. I really love the overall sound that he had on that album and the tour. Did anybody ever get a similar tone out of their 5150 or have any good EQ settings for it?

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I loved that sound too, but that tone was seriously effects driven.
    Al ot of chorus and echo. The Eventide Harmonizer was used for that tone. I think they are making a foot pedal for that instead of the rackmount. Amp settings-wise, an lot of mid and bass, lite treble and about 8 on the gain. And a EBMM EVh model guitar of course.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

eventide makes a echo/delay modulation pedal but no detuner pedal. try you bass at 6 mid at 2 and treble at 5. res at 3 presence at 7. the detuner is really what is gonna make the tone crisping up. gain about 6. i would show you all the clips from my site but it is down at this time cause i am swtiching domains. if you would like me to send you some shot me a line. if any of you have gone to evh.com or frankenstraat.com you have heard them before if not i will get them to you all once i get the domain stuff going. forgot to add first things first. do you have any effects and if so what are they?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

spoke to soon. you can see them here for the time being. they are just small clips and i think there are a few balance ones in there. let me get all my server stuff done and i would be willing to help you out and do some more for ya and explain what i used and such. http://www.floodsix.com/winston5150/...%20Recordings/

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Try this:

http://www.wolfgangregistry.com/5150...ting=3&model=2

Lots of other great settings at wolfgangregistry.com

Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

having two amp head signals split in chourus/detuned with the eventide, and 2 wet cabs and 1 dry cab helps too.

i think to really get the sound you need two amps as your foundation.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

When I first bought my Axis, I plugged it into my 5150 II head (and a Marshall 1960B cab) with all the settings in place for what is my average setup with a Wolfgang: Pre-Gain at 6, Bass at 9, Mids at 6, Highs at 7, Resonance at 8, Presence at 7 (all approximates). I kicked into "The Seventh Seal" and "Don't Tell Me" and was completely FLOORED at how familiar the tone was--extremely similar to Balance. The EBMM pickups make a big difference.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    having two amp head signals split in chourus/detuned with the eventide, and 2 wet cabs and 1 dry cab helps too.

i think to really get the sound you need two amps as your foundation.
    dont confuse the guy lol. you only need one amp head. if you want to 3 cabs as ed does/did you will also need a power amp to power the wet cabs.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

right , but the signals are still mixed i meant. one signal coming out of the cab is a millisecond ahead(from the delay im guessing) of the signal coming out of the second cab and is slighty detuned as well.

its like having 2 guitars playing when they are just a tad/very very slightly off in timing and pitch and mixed together the sound is very lush and thick.

you could acheive somewhat the same effect by splitting the signal with a delay or chourus pedal , ive used those with 2 amps(wet and dry signals mixed).
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

both cabs are detuend one down and one up. yes a cheap way to do this is with a chorus but then you now intoduce sweeping into the tone which is not what a detuner does. thats why i asked what his budget is and what he has. its not a cheap tone to get and yeah you can get very close with this or that but i am a perfectonist lol. your way is not wrong neither rick. just depends what you wanna spend i guess lol.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well i agree with your way.

i was just trying to say that theres more than one guitar sound coming out of the speakers plus the delay is mixing in there too, with eds live set up 1995 or whatever. lol

i know he only has three cabs on stage on the milano 95 bootleg in that little club , but his tone is huge.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes he has alwasy used only 3 cabs since he started using the w/d/w setup. the sound is very huge. the first time i got my up can going off the ground my wife came down and wondered what the hell was going on. all effects go through the 2 outside cabs and then the center cab is dry. so you have 3 seperate sounds. its very huge.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    yes he has alwasy used only 3 cabs since he started using the w/d/w setup. the sound is very huge. the first time i got my up can going off the ground my wife came down and wondered what the hell was going on. all effects go through the 2 outside cabs and then the center cab is dry. so you have 3 seperate sounds. its very huge.
    And this is what Eddie did to get the Balance tone? Wow. So there's no way to get a similar tone from a 5150 combo?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cam-5150 View Post
    And this is what Eddie did to get the Balance tone? Wow. So there's no way to get a similar tone from a 5150 combo?
    What Ed did live and what Ed did in the studio were a little different. He recorded a dry signal with a 5150 and one cab and used delay and the Eventide in the mixdown. So the foundation of his tone was still his guitar and amp. (And I question if he was ever "up" tuning the left side; it was my understanding the left channel was always the original track unchanged, and the right channel was detuned and slightly delayed.) Live he's been going with the three-cab approach for some time. It was easiest to visualize on the 3 tour, because he didn't have a bunch of dummy cabs on stage--just the three being used.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Balance wasn't the wet/dry/wet setup, per interviews I have. It's wet/dry, and that's it.

I agree with what somebody said earlier about how a chorus pedal typically introduces "sweeping" to the tone, which isn't what you're shooting for. If anything, you'll sound closer with a Doubling effect, even without Detuning.

That said, shoot for the Detuning. I do believe....and it kills me to say this.....that a stereo setup (not a 3 cab setup, but one signal wet, one dry) makes a difference. I've heard it with my own ears, and it kills me to say that.

That said, I don't think it's necessary. It's certainly *optimal*, but not necessary.

When I owned a 5150 combo, I used a rackmount unit with a large chunk of dry signal, and the remaining wet signal split 2 ways (although still in mono!). One half of the wet (or 25% of the overall signal) was something like 28ms with a few cents detune, and the other half of the wet signal was 48 ms delay with a stitch more detune. So the total signal was comprised of 3 guitars: 50% dry, 25% sorta delayed and detuned, and 25% even more delayed and detuned.

It sounded like someone attempting an OU812 sound through a 5150. Of course, I had to leave the gain at like 3.
    Last edited by Majestic; 11.17.07 at 05:23 PM.