Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Having Oral Surgery Today...

One of my teeth started aching over the weekend, so I went to the dentist yesterday. Turns our it's a wisdom tooth that, although not impacted, needs to come out. I'm having it removed in a few hours.

I'm sure this will make me sound like a total pussy, but I have serious dental phobia and I'm terrified. I know no one likes going to the dentist, but I had a real bad one when I was a kid and it really screwed me up.

This guy was way too old to be practicing and had no business working with kids. He would yell at us and sometimes even slap us if we cried. My parents didn't believe me when I told them, but years later I ended up going to school with a kid who went to the same dentist and had the same experience. It made me feel marginally better that someone else confirmed my story, although I felt sorry for the other kid.

Anyway, I'm going in in three hours and the nervousness it starting to ramp up. They're going to knock me out and I've already got Vicodin (never had it, good stuff!). Everyone's telling me it won't be that bad, since the tooth's not impacted, and that I'll be in less pain afterward than I'm feeling from the bad tooth right now; but I'm still a nervous wreck.

If anyone has any advice or experience to share, I would sure appreciate it right about now...thanks.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

They'll basically give you a mix that's equivalent to the date rape drug. You'll be aware enough to react when they ask you too but you won't remember much at all. Mine were the worst the doctor had seen and the only annoying thing was that I couldn't eat normally for a few days. It's no big deal.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

How many say I
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't smoke! Enjoy the pain meds.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

never had that done, but i did have one of my front teeth knocked completely out on a friday night and re-inserted on monday afternoon, you want to talk about pain, there is non equal to that
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

Cancel the appointment. My wisdom teeth act up for a few days every year, and then the pain goes away. If they aren't impacted, just brush them really, really, hard to break up the gum a little, and you'll be fine. I've been doing that for 13 years, and still have my wisdom teeth. They are just trying to make a buck off you... Many dentists are insurance thieves in my opinion... I brush my teeth/floss about 7 times a day and haven't eaten a piece of candy in over 15 years, and had a dentist try and tell me I had a cavity...
    Last edited by EJC; 11.13.07 at 12:13 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i had all four wisdom teeth yanked out and a slice of gum tissue between my two front teeth cut out all at once. It sucked but it was definately worth getting it over with. I HATE dental procedures. Listen to what they tell you, don't smoke, drink liquids slowly and yeah, enjoy the pain meds.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Cancel the appointment. My wisdom teeth act up for a few days every year, and then the pain goes away. If they aren't impacted, just brush them really, really, hard to break up the gum a little, and you'll be fine. I've been doing that for 13 years, and still have my wisdom teeth. They are just trying to make a buck off you... Many dentists are insurance thieves in my opinion... I brush my teeth/floss about 7 times a day and haven't eaten a piece of candy in over 15 years, and had a dentist try and tell me I had a cavity...
    Thanks everyone. The problem in my case was that, although the tooth came in just fine and wasn't impacted, it had a sever cavity and couldn't be saved. But they knocked me out cold, so the only anxiety was sitting inj the chair waiting for the shot. I was shaking pretty badly. Then I just woke up numb.

Not bad at all. But we'll see what happens when the novocaine starts to wear off. I have a feeling "Vicodin Hour" is fast approaching. Thanks for the no smoking reminder. The doctor emphasized that several times, as it could make my body reject the two implants I also had put in. Hopefully, the vicodin will take the edge off the nicotine cravings.

All in all, it was pretty amazing that they could do all of that in 45 minutes. Thaks for all your advice and support. Who's better than you guys?

- Dewey Cox

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

See... you're okay!

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out when I was 17. It's a pain-in-the-ass thing to go through, but once it's done you never have to think about it again.

Enjoy the drugs, keep your mouth REALLY clean (infection and/or dry sockets will make it hell), and please post a picture of your swollen face.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hang in there Otis.

The only thing I can tell you (and I don't know if it will matter as much since ite wasn't impacted), is keep it as clean as you can after the work is done.

Dry sockets aren't fun (but there are still worse things).

I hear Cabo is a great short term cure for any issues you will have .

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

so why do they say not to smoke? is that for pulling wisdom teeth only?
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Milk shakes are you best friend for the first couple of days.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    so why do they say not to smoke? is that for pulling wisdom teeth only?
    the suction can rip the blood clots out of place...

this happened to me but not with smoking...I wasn't a smoker at the time. I drank to fast and all four clots came off and I swallowed them and immediately threw them back up...it was disgusting. God I get the shivers just thinking about it. I hated that two week period in my life. It was miserable.

As for milkshakes, definitely a good idea...just drink slowly and try to avoid straws.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, again, everyone. Does anyone know how long you should really put off smoking? My doctor said at leats 48 hours, but I'm paranoid. The nicotine cravings haven't been that bad yet, probably because of the sheer fear and the Vicodin taking the edge off, but eventually they will get to me.

The funny thing is, I'm not really swollen. Don't know if that's coming or not. Also, they knocked me out cold. None of this semi-consciousness bullshit. So that did a lot to help my anxiety.

- Dewey Cox

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out in December of 2004. 3 days later I took a puck in the face playing hockey (stupid on my part) and got dry socket. However, the procedure is painless as you're knocked out and if you listen to the dentist carefully then you'll be fine in no time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Not to be an advocate for smoking, but I had extensive work done over a period of a year or so, and I would light up on the way home. The only annoying thing was waiting for the novacaine (?) to wear off. I had no problems, other than a little "drainage/ooze" for a day or so but that's normal. But there's no doubt that I was foolish to do it, and dry socket would have been appropriate under the foolish circumstances.

At this point I have no qualms with sitting in a dentist's chair, after the first little pinch from the first shot, it's not terrible at all, IMO.