Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

High School Bands

Hey, fellow musicians. I know some of you had a band in high school. Why don't you post your stuff. Good, bad, cheesy, whatever...just throw it up here.

+++ +++ +++

I was recording this weekend with my new MacBook and MOTU 8pre when I decided to take a break. I found a box with a whole bunch of old cassettes. Whilst rifling through them, I stumbled upon a tape from my old band in high school. I figured I'd share this demo from 1987. The song is called "Out Of Control". It's a fast rock shuffle in the vein of Van Halen, Van Halen, and Van Halen. There's so much Van Halen influence in this track it's not even funny.

The lyrics are pretty bad. I wanted so bad to write a friggin' kick-ass rock anthem. I just gotta laugh at some of the stuff on this song. It's cheesy, but cheese is good depending on how it's served.

This was done on a Tascam 4-Track using only 4 tracks (no track bouncing). I took it off of cassette this morning and editied the beginning and the end because there was so much noise and hiss.

Deuce - Out Of Control

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I'm impressed. We're close in age and you guys sounded way better than anything I was a part of in '87. I recently found some old tracks I recorded in '88 with my guitar teacher. One is like a 7 minute instrumental I titled "Turbulence in Macon, GA". It's awful but I remember having a great time making it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Thanks, Bugs. You should post some of that stuff here.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

If I ever get around to converting stuff from cassette I'll put it up. It's pretty funny stuff. Not much structure and I was using way too many effects to cover up some bad playing.

Your demo was great though. Huge VH influence in it.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've been recording in one form or another since 1987 (age 12). There are loads of old, tapes, 4-track cassettes, 8-track 1/4" tapes, and ADAT tapes archived in my studio and here at home. I'll have to go through it all sometime.

My high school bands were called: Nuclear Spam, Lounge R.A., and The Dysfunkxionals.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Good stuff! Took me back to my high school hair metal days.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Hey, fellow musicians. I know some of you had a band in high school. Why don't you post your stuff. Good, bad, cheesy, whatever...just throw it up here.

+++ +++ +++

I was recording this weekend with my new MacBook and MOTU 8pre when I decided to take a break. I found a box with a whole bunch of old cassettes. Whilst rifling through them, I stumbled upon a tape from my old band in high school. I figured I'd share this demo from 1987. The song is called "Out Of Control". It's a fast rock shuffle in the vein of Van Halen, Van Halen, and Van Halen. There's so much Van Halen influence in this track it's not even funny.

The lyrics are pretty bad. I wanted so bad to write a friggin' kick-ass rock anthem. I just gotta laugh at some of the stuff on this song. It's cheesy, but cheese is good depending on how it's served.

This was done on a Tascam 4-Track using only 4 tracks (no track bouncing). I took it off of cassette this morning and editied the beginning and the end because there was so much noise and hiss.

Deuce - Out Of Control
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was the bassist in a band called Crisis, which existed long enough to win the high school talent show and play one keg party, and a lot of unorganized jamming. Our guitarist, Troy McLawhorn, is with Evanescence now, from what I hear. Clint Lowry (sevendust) and his brother Corey would stop in and jam, Corey was and is an amazing bassist, far superior to anything I ever thought about being. Good times in '87. So long ago.....