Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Country Music Worse For Kids Than Rock?

THURSDAY, Nov. 8 (HealthDay News) -

Could country music be worse for kids than rock music? If you judge by the number of alcohol and drug references in songs, a new study suggests the answer could be yes.
    Researchers who looked at the bestselling songs in several genres from 2005 found that 37 percent of top country songs featured references to drugs or alcohol, compared to just 14 percent of rock songs.
    "It's not like country music is as wholesome as mom and apple pie," said Ralph DiClemente, a professor of public health at Emory University who's familiar with the study findings.

But country couldn't hold a candle to rap music, whose singers referred to substance use in a whopping 77 percent of songs.
    The study, released Wednesday at the American Public Health Association annual meeting, in Washington, D.C., didn't examine whether there's a link between song content and how kids behave. Still, research does suggest that children aged 8 to 18 listen to popular music about two hours a day.

"It's good for us to know that this exposure is there so that we can go the next step," said study author Dr. Brian Primack, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. "We can talk to kids about it and say what we think is correct, and what is not."

The study researchers looked at 279 of the bestselling songs in 2005, based on Billboard magazine charts, in five genres they considered popular with kids - rap, country, R&B/hip-hop, rock, and pop.

In total, one-third of songs referred to substance use. Just 9 percent of pop songs and 20 percent of R&B/hip-hop songs did.

Singers referred to alcohol and marijuana the most and were more likely to refer to what the researchers called "positive" consequences. "What we found is that very often, sexual, social and emotional consequences were positive, but physical and legal consequences were negative," Primack said.

What about veiled references to drugs or alcohol in songs? Primack said there just aren't many of those types of songs today - compared to, say, The Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," thought by some to refer to LSD, although the band said that wasn't the case.

"Today's music is not nearly as subtle as the Beatles were," he said.

And what about country music and the findings that it often refers to alcohol instead of drugs? "I'm not saying that's great, but we don't know if it really makes a difference," Primack said. "Maybe kids listen to songs with alcohol, and it doesn't affect them one way or another. Maybe it affects them a great deal."

DiClemente agreed that research hasn't shed much light on exactly how the entertainment that kids watch or hear affects their behavior. For example, it's hard to tell if violent TV makes kids violent or if they were already aggressive and liked violent TV for that reason, he said.

"The question again is, what the relationship is to the behavior of people, if there is any?" DiClemente said. "It would be nice to know."

Copyright 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...etect=&abc=abc

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

It's really such a "chicken or the egg" argument. If drugs and alcohol already are within access to someone, peer pressure more than anything else will drive a kid to experiment with them. It's highly unlikely that someone living on a remote mountaintop, upon hearing a George Jones, Van Halen or 50cent record will ride one's bicycle hundreds of miles to the city in order to try some whiskey, dope or pimping.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah no shit. I don't know a whole lotta kids that listen to country anyways, unless I count myself.

Some people just gots too much time on their hands to study crap like this.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd be concerned about it, I have to grow up with these people, don't I? And they're taking your place to raise your grand children. I don't think they should promote drugs period. The music sucks anyways.
    Respects.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It's highly unlikely that someone living on a remote mountaintop, upon hearing a George Jones, Van Halen or 50cent record will ride one's bicycle hundreds of miles to the city in order to try some whiskey, dope or pimping.
    Hey, I kmow the first time I heard Van Halen I wanted to fuck like rabbits! The only problem was I was waaaayyy too young to do so. (But that didn't stop me from trying!)

Of course I am joking. A little. I think......

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graphicbrian View Post
    Hey, I kmow the first time I heard Van Halen I wanted to fuck like rabbits! The only problem was I was waaaayyy too young to do so. (But that didn't stop me from trying!)

Thanks for getting even more graphic, brian. Don't want to know what you tried with...
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    Thanks for getting even more graphic, brian. Don't want to know what you tried with...
    Sorry if I offended anyone. That was my lame attempt at humour while being very, very tired. It actually sounded funnier in my head than on screen and I guess that's where I should have left it.
    (It's that damn country western music my parents played when I was a wee little lad. It corrupted me.)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Country music sucks balls.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cam-5150 View Post
    Country music sucks balls.
    No, it does not. Without country music, there would be no rock and roll. Yes, there are elements of today's country music that are little more than pop music dressed in cowboy hats and jeans, and as a result are less than inspiring. Yet real country music is just as tough and gritty as the best hard rock out there.

Rap on the other hand, does suck balls.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, it does not. Without country music, there would be no rock and roll. Yes, there are elements of today's country music that are little more than pop music dressed in cowboy hats and jeans, and as a result are less than inspiring. Yet real country music is just as tough and gritty as the best hard rock out there.

Rap on the other hand, does suck balls.
    Well chef, I wasn't actually talking about Classic Country, which is the real Country. I'm talking about when you turn on the Country Music Channel nowadays and see shit like the Dixie Chicks and all that crap. I'm sorry, but modern country music makes me want to vomit.

But stuff like Chet Atkins on the other hand, now that's the shit.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cam-5150 View Post
    Well chef, I wasn't actually talking about Classic Country, which is the real Country. I'm talking about when you turn on the Country Music Channel nowadays and see shit like the Dixie Chicks and all that crap. I'm sorry, but modern country music makes me want to vomit.

But stuff like Chet Atkins on the other hand, now that's the shit.
    Oh, I'm with ya on the above sentiments, whole heartedly.
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Oh, I'm with ya on the above sentiments, whole heartedly.

Ahhh, me too! And Johnny Cash, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie....so many, the list does go on. However I also grew up on Motown and you just can't beat it with a stick sometimes. It all goes together in my head. Guess that's why I like almost all genres of music. My 11 year old daughter loves Johnny Cash but she also loves Toby Keith (God help me) I don't really think it's appropriate for her to sing "Let's get drunk and be sombody" but she knows "Soldja Boy" too. Thank goodness she can sing "Jackson" with the best of them-both parts too-LOL!! Crap! I just can't win all the time.

TST<-----------trying though----------------

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

You gotta be drunk when you do the boot scoot boogie!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,129 Posts

Premium Member

Rap is the worst? That's shocking. I mean I just heard this uplifting song about "Supermanning" ho's. What's wrong with Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

And country is just poor for your general health. It should come with a Surgeon General's warning.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graphicbrian View Post

BWA HA HA HAAAA! You were a little perv!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz