Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slash On EVH

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Slash On EVH

So I just finished reading Slash's autobiography and I thought it was a great read. He's clean and sober now, allegedly, but it's amazing that he made it this far.

Anyway, he offered some insight that I agreed with and thought was worth sharing. Apparently, he was a pretty big VH fan growing up - RRHoF induction not withstanding. His take on Ed, which has always been mine too, is that he got more from the melodic, bluesy phrases that Ed used/uses to connect some of his flashier techniques; which are no less impressive.

He also wrote that most all of the hair-metal guitarists and shredders that Eddie spawned got it wrong because they focused only on the flash and speed. They just wanted to show off and didn't integrate it with melody, phrasing, etc., as Ed did.

I really appreciated this point of view because it's pretty much how I've always felt too. Ed is probably my biggest influence but I don't think I sound much like him when I play because I never really adopted most of his flashier stuff (tapping, harmonics, dive-bombs). Which is cool, because I'd rather have my own style.

I'm probably closer to Clapton or even Slash, two other big influences, in terms of my style. But every once in a while I'll play a passing-note or phrase something a certain way and it'll catch my ear and make me smile. I know exactly who that came from....
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Banned!
    Last Online

11.19.07 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    So I just finished reading Slash's autobiography and I thought it was a great read. He's clean and sober now, allegedly, but it's amazing that he made it this far.

Anyway, he offered some insight that I agreed with and thought was worth sharing. Apparently, he was a pretty big VH fan growing up - RRHoF induction not withstanding. His take on Ed, which has always been mine too, is that he got more from the melodic, bluesy phrases that Ed used/uses to connect some of his flashier techniques; which are no less impressive.

He also wrote that most all of the hair-metal guitarists and shredders that Eddie spawned got it wrong because they focused only on the flash and speed. They just wanted to show off and didn't integrate it with melody, phrasing, etc., as Ed did.

I really appreciated this point of view because it's pretty much how I've always felt too. Ed is probably my biggest influence but I don't think I sound much like him when I play because I never really adopted most of his flashier stuff (tapping, harmonics, dive-bombs). Which is cool, because I'd rather have my own style.

I'm probably closer to Clapton or even Slash, two other big influences, in terms of my style.
    But every once in a while I'll play a passing-note or phrase something a certain way and it'll catch my ear and make me smile
    . I know exactly who that came from....

And that's a great moment in one's life. I'm more of a drummer, but I relate. Sounds like a good read, thanks for the tip.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I can relate entirely, and I think Slash got it right. There were so many guys who came after Eddie that were remarkable finger movers, which is what I call them. They can move their fingers all over the place and they look very impressive. A lot of them I would even consider technically better than Eddie. But they missed the point. Eddie has always had a certain feel and way of phrasing his licks that makes all the difference in the world. It's what separates Eddie from so many other guitar players. Like you, I play guitar also, just for fun. I'm not much good, especially when it comes to playing scales and modes all over the neck. But I have been influenced by Eddie's feel and it does come through in my playing, just no where nearly as good.

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

That book Rocks, lots of funny shit!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Yes that's why Ed's playing was so beyond anyone else's. It was SO much more than the speed.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ditto. I was ALWAYS more interested in Ed's rhythm playing and writing than his soloing, so much so that I've only now (20 years later) started teaching myself the solos.

Good post, Otis.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Ed's rhythm playing to me is better than his lead work in a lot of ways.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It's one of the main reasons why I can STILL put in a VH album I've heard a thousand times and be both impressed and entertained. I think as long as I'm alive there will still be things to "explore" in Edward's playing and writing.

Even in the newer stuff; "It's About Time" and "Dirty Water Dog" are the examples that immediately jump to mind.
    Last edited by AT; 11.10.07 at 10:50 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to pick up that book. Sounds like a winner.

80s guitarists after Eddie - I always thought that too. The only exception to me was Vito Bratta. I know some people rip on him because some thought he played too much like Eddie. But I always liked his stuff.

Not much else from that period in the 80s, though.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, Vito was cool.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

after ed everyone was all about technique and speed a lot of people forgot the "feel" part with the exeption of a small few.
    thats why i dislike guys like vai and satch, its not that they "cant" play its because they "over" play everything and try to make everything they do SO clinical...which is why ed has been such a big influence on so many people he has the feel and the chops but never seems like he's overplaying and being eletist...(im sure im trying to make a point)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    after ed everyone was all about technique and speed a lot of people forgot the "feel" part with the exeption of a small few.
    thats why i dislike guys like vai and satch, its not that they "cant" play its because they "over" play everything and try to make everything they do SO clinical...which is why ed has been such a big influence on so many people he has the feel and the chops but never seems like he's overplaying and being eletist...(im sure im trying to make a point)
    I disagree about Satch....he plays with TONS of feels...I never thought guys like him and Vai did but once I started listening to Satriani....I started to see that he did.....Vai I don't know because I don't listen to him that much....

But you are MAKING a point...and it is right on the money!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    He is so underrated as a rhythm player. This may sound funny but his rhythm playing reminds me of Keith Richards', although their styles are entirely different. Both connect chords with little melody lines to fill things out, instead of just playing chords.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

He is so underrated as a rhythm player. This may sound funny but his rhythm playing reminds me of Keith Richards', although their styles are entirely different. Both connect chords with little melody lines to fill things out, instead of just playing chords.
    then ofcourse you have a little pete townsend in there aswell, i mean just listen to little guitars, its almost as if pete played on that!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It's not a crazy comparison--for the reasons you listed.

AND both EVH and Keith don't always over-do full barre chords, etc. They (especially EVH) use two or three note chords carefully voiced to accomplish the chord (or implied chord) without making it messy.

I saw Rush here in the Twin Cities a few months back, and after 20-plus years of listening to Rush I finally figured out what it is I don't like about Alex Lifeson's playing. He plays a lot of really full chords--five and six string barre chords. They, of course, have their time and place, but I think Rush's music would be better severed if Lifeson took a "less is more" approach--like EVH, Andy Summers, Ty Tabor, Brain May, etc. Lots of notes doesn't always mean extra rock/bigger/etc.