Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Renowned Writer Norman Mailer Dead at 84

The literary world was delivered a big blow today when world-famous Norman Mailer died this morning in New York City. The acclaimed writer died of renal failure. He was 84 years of age.

Digital Journal -- Norman Mailer, described by some as the "macho prince of American letters who for decades reigned as the country's literary conscience and provocateur," was pronounced dead early Saturday.

J. Michael Lennon, Mailer's official biographer, was with him when he died at Mount Sinai Hospital. He was 84.

The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner who was famous for criticizing the war in Vietnam and books such as The Armies of the Night and The Naked and the Dead and The Executioner's Song was both highly celebrated as throughout his career.

While highly regarded for a lot of his work, Mailer never did receive the one "Great American Novel" moniker he worked so hard for.

Forbes describes Mailer as "pugnacious, streetwise and high-living" and he was known for being married six times, smoking pot, drinking heavily and fighting. In one famous case, Mailer stabbed his second wife during a drunken party, coming close to killing her.

More of his eccentricities included:
    He had nine children, made a quixotic bid to become mayor of New York, produced five forgettable films, dabbled in journalism, flew gliders, challenged professional boxers, was banned from a Manhattan YWHA for reciting obscene poetry, feuded publicly with writer Gore Vidal and crusaded against women's lib.
    But Newsweek reviewer Raymond Sokolov said Mailer's writing will be what people will remember. He said Mailer had "a superb natural style that does not crack under the pressures he puts upon it, a talent for narrative and characters with real blood streams and nervous systems, a great openness and eagerness for experience, a sense of urgency about the need to test thought and character in the crucible of a difficult era."

The following is a statement was released shortly after 7 a.m. by Mailer's family:
    “With great sorrow, the family of Norman Mailer announces his passing on November 10, at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. The cause was acute renal failure. He was 84.

Mailer resided in Provincetown, Massachusetts, with his wife of 33 years, Norris Church Mailer, and maintained an apartment in Brooklyn, New York.

He was the author of more than 30 books, the director of four films, and a co-founder of the Village Voice. He ran for mayor of New York in the 1969 Democratic primary, and was a member of the American Institute of Arts and Letters. He won many literary awards, including two Pulitzers and the National Book Award. His latest book, On God: an Uncommon Conversation, was published on October 16th.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by nine children, Susan, Danielle, Elizabeth, Kate, Michael, Stephen, Maggie, Matthew and John Buffalo; ten grandchildren; a sister, Barbara Wasserman, and a nephew Peter Alson.

Arrangements for a private service and interment for family and close friends will be announced next week, and there will be a memorial service in New York in the coming months.”

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

There was a downright odd Rolling Stone article concerning Mailer a few months back. In it he'd pretty much resigned himself to his fate, as he knew full well that he was at death's doorstep. Yet he seemed somewhat unhinged, and the story left one feeling a bit disturbed by it.

Bizarre as it may sound, reading this now only seems to confirm his death, as opposed to announcing it. What a truly peculiar feeling.

RIP, Norm.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I've never read a novel of his but have come across his writings, interviews etc for years, partly because of my interest in boxing and also Hemingway and also through articles/programmes on Vietnam, American politics and other things.

He always seemed to be a Hemingway, larger than life character (all those wives, children, the booze etc) but in the same way, I wonder how much of his life he actually managed to live truly, through the blur of all that drink. Easy to be brave and bolshy when you're drunk.

Whatever, it's a sad day, simply because he was a man who seemed to do things the way he felt was right, or just felt like doing, rather than what he was told to do.

Not enough of these kinds of characters nowadays and they are getting less and less by the year.

This news has made me want to take a real look at his writing now.

RIP
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

R.I.P., Norm.

You were a fugging good writer.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    There was a downright odd Rolling Stone article concerning Mailer a few months back. In it he'd pretty much resigned himself to his fate, as he knew full well that he was at death's doorstep. Yet he seemed somewhat unhinged, and the story left one feeling a bit disturbed by it.

Bizarre as it may sound, reading this now only seems to confirm his death, as opposed to announcing it. What a truly peculiar feeling.

RIP, Norm.
    do you know what issue that was in? I don't read rolling stone anymore but I'd like to read that article...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Just in case there was any doubt about Mailer's sanity, here's a clip of him and Rip Torn (from the Larry Sanders Show and Men In Black) beating the crap out of each other...

HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

RIP Norm.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmm, guy is crazy and stabs his wife, but we overlook that because he is a great writer. Yeah!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Hmmmm, guy is crazy and stabs his wife, but we overlook that because he is a great writer. Yeah!

I would respect this observation a little more if it hadn't appeared on the CBS Sunday Morning show twenty minutes before it appeared here.

Don't read this.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I would respect this observation a little more if it hadn't appeared on the CBS Sunday Morning show twenty minutes before it appeared here.
    Ditto to Bullwinkle's point. No one is saying he was a saint as he most certainly wasn't but he was a gifted writer. Don't take one episode of a person's life out of the context of that life.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    Ditto to Bullwinkle's point. No one is saying he was a saint as he most certainly wasn't but he was a gifted writer. Don't take one episode of a person's life out of the context of that life.
    Ok, point taken. But as to Bullwinkle's point, I don't watch CBS, too liberal for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!