Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default DEAR GUY WHO FILMED 1984 MONTREAL BOOT:

You're a genius. I so hope you're still doing your thing. The Mighty Van Halen plays Montreal tonight. I desperately want you to tape the show. Your work on the '84 show is simply amazing. I think you did the 82 Montreal show. I'm pretty sure you did the '86 DLR solo show. What I do know for a fact though, is that you did the best job any boot guy has done in the history of boots. I know for a fact you scouted the show. I know you did your homework. How do I know? On the first song, Unchained, right after Ed does the intro, you go to the middle of the stage and pan back, to get Dave's opening jump of the night perfectly. On Girl Gone Bad you leave Ed just quick enough to go left and settle in on center stage for one of Dave's best jumps ever. At the end of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, which should be the current tour closer, (or Loss of Control), you go to Mike's side to see him do a "hey hey hey", you go to Ed's side to see him do a "hey hey hey", then you go to center stage where Dave does his jump, then Mike and Ed jump simultaneously. I really don't think you missed anything the whole night, which is amazing for a single camera shot with 4 standout personalities performing at their highest level on the biggest, baddest tour that ever existed.

Today's boot guys ZOOM IN WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH. It drives me fucking insane. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD. I don't care what band your talking about, don't focus in on the lead singer or whoever right in their face, leaving the viewer with nowhere to roam. Staring at any lead singer's or lead guitar player's face for four minutes straight it painful.

Anyway, I watched most of the '84 dvd last night. I'm still amazed by the quality of the taping, and more importantly, the insane quality of VH's performance. I've been watching it since Jr. High. It was my favorite boot then, it's my favorite boot now. I am extremely hopeful that this artist/genius is back at work tonight.

Rock on.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I have that 84 montreal show on DVD too and it's amazing.

One can only hope a quality show from tonights show will surface on DVD!

Enjoy!!!!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've got this on a VCD but it won't play in my DVD player, so somehow I think I haven't quite seen it in all it's glory. Frankly I don't recall being able to see Dave's intro jump that well, but that's probably windowsmedia on a computer monitor for you.

Doesn't the camera suddenly point upwards for a minute or two during Runnin' With the Devil?

I'm interested to see if anybody gets any good video of the shows when they get out here to Western Canada in a month!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    You're a genius. I so hope you're still doing your thing. The Mighty Van Halen plays Montreal tonight. I desperately want you to tape the show. Your work on the '84 show is simply amazing. I think you did the 82 Montreal show. I'm pretty sure you did the '86 DLR solo show. What I do know for a fact though, is that you did the best job any boot guy has done in the history of boots. I know for a fact you scouted the show. I know you did your homework. How do I know? On the first song, Unchained, right after Ed does the intro, you go to the middle of the stage and pan back, to get Dave's opening jump of the night perfectly. On Girl Gone Bad you leave Ed just quick enough to go left and settle in on center stage for one of Dave's best jumps ever. At the end of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, which should be the current tour closer, (or Loss of Control), you go to Mike's side to see him do a "hey hey hey", you go to Ed's side to see him do a "hey hey hey", then you go to center stage where Dave does his jump, then Mike and Ed jump simultaneously. I really don't think you missed anything the whole night, which is amazing for a single camera shot with 4 standout personalities performing at their highest level on the biggest, baddest tour that ever existed.

Today's boot guys ZOOM IN WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH. It drives me fucking insane. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD. I don't care what band your talking about, don't focus in on the lead singer or whoever right in their face, leaving the viewer with nowhere to roam. Staring at any lead singer's or lead guitar player's face for four minutes straight it painful.

Anyway, I watched most of the '84 dvd last night. I'm still amazed by the quality of the taping, and more importantly, the insane quality of VH's performance. I've been watching it since Jr. High. It was my favorite boot then, it's my favorite boot now. I am extremely hopeful that this artist/genius is back at work tonight.

Rock on.

Agreed on just about everything here, except "Loss Of Control" is no show closer.

You're dead on about all the zoom-happy folks out there nowadays.

'84 Montreal is a legendary boot!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've got this on a VCD but it won't play in my DVD player, so somehow I think I haven't quite seen it in all it's glory. Frankly I don't recall being able to see Dave's intro jump that well, but that's probably windowsmedia on a computer monitor for you.
    Here's "Unchained" from the boot on youtube. Funny what you said about the intro jump - I didn't recall him catching it that well either, but he did!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

The first 6 albums
    Last Online

03.03.08 @ 12:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post

Rock on.
    Pierre stopped filming many years ago, so he won't be filming Montreal tonight. Yes, he's the guy who filmed '82, '84, and DLR '86. He filmed a lot of shows in Montreal in the 80's, I used to talk to him on the phone back then, he was a nice enough guy. I agree that he was a good filmer. It's just too bad that todays Hi-Def video camera technology wasn't around back then. Watching the '84 video with it's 240 lines (or less) of resolution, as opposed to 1000+ lines with a Hi-Def camera today, makes those older videos look very dated in picture quality.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

he also did a nice boot of Rush durring the Signals tour...same venue, same camera perspective.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Doesn't the camera suddenly point upwards for a minute or two during Runnin' With the Devil?

I'm interested to see if anybody gets any good video of the shows when they get out here to Western Canada in a month!
    You're right. During Devil, the cameral goes up cus the lights are too bright for the lens. He stays just to the side of Mike during the end of the song just to stay out of the lights. My brother went to the '84 show in St. Louis and said for hours after the shows he could still see those flashing 1984 lights if he closed his eyes. I guess they were pretty powerful.

He does catch the jump on to start off Unchainced though.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    Here's "Unchained" from the boot on youtube. Funny what you said about the intro jump - I didn't recall him catching it that well either, but he did!

I swear, nothing gives me more goosebumps than those opening minutes of that clip.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trade?

Back in the day, I personally was able to get my copy of Montreal '84 on VHS from the MASTER.

I was able to pull off a lot of trades w/ this boot due to the exceptional quality!!

By chance does anybody have the Montreal DLR '86 show on DVD? I would like to make a quick trade.

Send me a PM w/ your wish list. I don't have a list off DVD boots - waaaay 2 many.

I have a few hundred DVD's from rock bands A-Z & of course everything on The Mighty Van Halen.

Coming in soon: both Philly DVD's from the 2007 Tour
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

this guy did us a great service!...he also recorded the 5150 tour show in montreal...one of my favorite boots also
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime