Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default Could a LIVE album be coming in 2008!!!

2008 is perfect for a new "live" album. I read recently on here somewhere that the Madison square garden show was/is supposebly being recorded. What better way to celebrate VH in 2008!!!!.
    It can be good for 2 reasons. For starters, its the 30th anniversary of VHs career since the first studio album, and also a great way to introduce Wolfie to the VH discography putting his own brand of playing on the classic years. It would be like saying "Here we are live, this is what we sound like". Next step, studio album???!!!!
    I think the 2nd leg sounds to be true, it could be promotion......think about it. They take 2/3 months off. Eddie can have time to mix and produce with whoever........they start tour again in march and a Live CD comes out in may/June for the summer. It could work well, and when you think about it "Right here, Right now" was released in 1993, after 15 years since the first album. I smell a live album coming.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much as I'd LOVE a live album, I'd have to call it unlikely........at least until they figure out their sound issues.

With the current sound guy, I'd going to be difficult to have a decent live album.

Spinal Tap wouldn't hire that guy.
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that's exactly what black sabbath with dio did this year, they recorded one of the early shows of the tour, then prior to the second leg, mixed it and got it ready. they recorded it in march, it came out in august. so when legs got added to the tour, they were then promoting the live cd/dvd.

it would be nice if vh did that, but they won't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Live albums (most of which are "sweetened" with crowd noise, overdubs, etc). To be honest most of the songs sound better in their studio form anyway. If these guys are serious about this being a new band than they should do what any new band does and write some new material.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

There won't be any live formal/official recording/filming happening at MSG... just wishfull thinking.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

What's with this fellow's obsession with exclamation marks? Every thread the guy starts...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I'd love an official DVD from this tour.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How about a record for the "new songs?"
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I'd love an official DVD from this tour.
    Here here. An official DVD would be nice, yet highly unlikely.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDBoy View Post
    As much as I'd LOVE a live album, I'd have to call it unlikely........at least until they figure out their sound issues.

With the current sound guy, I'd going to be difficult to have a decent live album.

A live album or DVD wouldn't necessarily be affected by the muddy sound you're hearing in the arena as it would be multi-tracked directly from the soundboard and then mixed later. What you're hearing in an arena is the live mix which wouldn't affect the direct mix going out of a soundboard to multi-track recording equipment.

<thread hijack="rant">

That said, both shows I saw in Chicago sounded great. However, I was sitting behind the mixing board where the sweet spot is because that is where the sound mixer is sitting and thus where he's mixing to with what his ears hear. I have to say I get tired of people bitching about the muddiness of the live sound. It's an arena, people. If you're in the nosebleeds or off to the side, etc., your sound mix is going to be muddy since it's difficult to control the acoustics with sound and where it goes and how it bounces around an arena since they are all different, especially once you fill them up with people. That makes it sound considerable different than the soundcheck. If you want to hear the sound good, you need floor seats, lower level seats, or behind the soundboard seats where the best sound is. That's exactly why I buy seats to almost every concert I attend in the lower level behind the soundboard. Not only do you get a straight-on view of the stage and the show without anything getting in your way, the sound is usually pretty good there. Not everybody can sit there, but more often than not I won't go to a show if I can't sit in that area.

LeadSynth could put the acoustics explanation into words better than I and explain it with more insight and technical experience to back it up, but you get my gist. Your mileage may vary.

</thread hijack="off">

That said, I wouldn't put much stock into a live recording, audio or video otherwise, of this entire tour. Especially for the beginning of '08 since it sounds like they are rumored to be in Denver in January and definitely in St. Louis by March. Maybe afterwards by next year at this time, but I highly doubt it simply because of how Van Halen handles anything. I'd love for a great show from this tour to be released on DVD, but I just can't hold out for it based on the Van Halens past of making poor business and fan-relations decisions.
    Last edited by Fontcow; 11.10.07 at 11:32 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    2008 is perfect for a new "live" album. I read recently on here somewhere that the Madison square garden show was/is supposebly being recorded. What better way to celebrate VH in 2008!!!!.
    It can be good for 2 reasons. For starters, its the 30th anniversary of VHs career since the first studio album, and also a great way to introduce Wolfie to the VH discography putting his own brand of playing on the classic years. It would be like saying "Here we are live, this is what we sound like". Next step, studio album???!!!!
    I think the 2nd leg sounds to be true, it could be promotion......think about it. They take 2/3 months off. Eddie can have time to mix and produce with whoever........they start tour again in march and a Live CD comes out in may/June for the summer. It could work well, and when you think about it "Right here, Right now" was released in 1993, after 15 years since the first album. I smell a live album coming.

Could a studio album be coming in 2008?
    Could Wolfie be coming out with a new line of Pasta sauce in 2008?
    Could Eddie be coming out with a new line of shoes?
    Could Dave be coming out with a new line of hats that hang on your dick in 2008?
    Could Al be contemplating taking over the world in 2008?

These are all reasonable questions......but they could go on for fucking ever!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BigDBoy View Post

The sound in the arena would have almost nothing to do with what's recorded. Any serious recording wouldn't be recorded through the live mixing counsel.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    ...Could Wolfie be coming out with a new line of Pasta sauce in 2008?
    I dunno...the reality of the pasta sauce industry is that it's an intense, cut-throat market. Walk down the sauce aisle and examine the battle for shelf space taking place at your local grocery.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    There won't be any live formal/official recording/filming happening at MSG... just wishfull thinking.
    Just curious, How do you know this? Do you have connections to the arena or the band?

VH is known for recording a lot of their shows. I'm willing to bet at some point a live album from this tour will be put out. I believe it's eminent. Probably after the tour and before they break up again, which too is an inevitability.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.09.17 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At this point, I would take a soundboard boot like a gift from heaven.
    The audience recordings have been great so far... but it's been so long since I heard a good soundboard job!