Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Default CHICAGO, IL Chicago Theatre, 11/10/07

Anyone going to the show? Just got tickets from a friend. 4th row, Mikey's side!
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Last Online

02.02.16 @ 11:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    Anyone going to the show? Just got tickets from a friend. 4th row, Mikey's side!
    can't wait!! saw the 2 dallas shows @ the lakewood theater.

this 30 min. set is like watching the oakland 81' video's in real life!!

mike is van halen...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vh07 View Post
    can't wait!! saw the 2 dallas shows @ the lakewood theater.

this 30 min. set is like watching the oakland 81' video's in real life!!

mike is van halen...
    I'll be honest, based on the five times I'd seen Sam, what I'm really looking forward to is MA Express, because it's new and, well, it's Mike.

Sam has a nice set, but in all honesty, it's nothing I haven't seen before. Wish he was actually doing Los Tres Gusanos as well...
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Last Online

02.02.16 @ 11:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    I'll be honest, based on the five times I'd seen Sam, what I'm really looking forward to is MA Express, because it's new and, well, it's Mike.

Sam has a nice set, but in all honesty, it's nothing I haven't seen before. Wish he was actually doing Los Tres Gusanos as well...
    your right! it is new, raw and fresh!

i'd like to see mike go out do a house of blues type club tour playing all the old vh deep cuts like he's doing but an hour or so worth of classic vh..

kinda reminds me when david lee did that tour w/bad co. in 99' he came out playing old school for 60 min. nonstop, awesome tour!!

the trio thing is really cool, vic johnson does a nice job w/hear about it later and light up the sky! just a great rock show..

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 281 Times in 135 Posts

Default ***SPOILERS***

I just caught them in Milwaukee.

You're right about Sam's show - it is what is it.... solid, but nothing all too unexpected. A Good time...

BUT....

I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    V

Hearing "Light Up The Sky" & "Hear About It Later" was incredible! Played well and sounded great!!! I've heard Vic get knocked for not copying Ed to a 'tee'... but I've never cared about that - he's his own guy. But, Vic's got him down this go 'round. And now I was able to pay the most attention to Mike (vs. the VH days). MA is a great bass player.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Good things are supposed to happen to good people, right? Well, as a good person, I've been waiting for something consistently good to happen to me for a very long time.

However, life throws you a curveball from time to time, and you'll get a reward for the good things you've done. No, it isn't long-term; however, it's a memory that will last forever.

On Saturday, November 10, 2007, I spent another evening with Sammy Hagar. For me, this marks the sixth time since the year 2000 (as a matter of fact, buy his Birthday Bash DVD, and you'll be able to watch my first ever concert, and first Sam Hagar concert). There was the time in 2002 with David Lee Roth, in 2004 with Van Halen, in 2005 and 2006 which were standard solo shows with longer sets. But last night, there was something a little more special about the evening.

I got in touch with a member of the Redrocker message boards (OneRedDuck, although known to many as simply Marcia) on Thursday morning offering free 4th row tickets to the show at the historic Chicago Theatre on November 10th, where I saw my first Sammy Hagar concert. Excited as it is, I was offered STAGE tickets for myself and a friend. That totally blew me away.

Now, my biggest problem was finding a friend who was interested, and then finding a ride. Initially, I had a friend who was willing to take me, who cancelled on me last minute. There was one person who I knew would be interested in the chance to see Sam again, and that would be my friend Sarah (who would be seeing him for the fifth time, according to her). She was also able to provide a ride, which really worked out in our favor, honestly.

I asked her if she was interested about 2 am on Saturday morning, very short notice, before I even knew about the stage tickets. I felt bad because I kept flip-flopping with Marcia whether I was actually going or not. Sarah messaged me saying she would definitely go, and after I told Marcia all was well, she offered stage tickets. Essentially, that's when I jumped out of my seat and was really excited.

Sarah and I planned to leave at three, and that's pretty much what we ended up doing. It was an interesting ride; we talked a lot, got lost on the way, but arrived at the Chicago Theatre around four. We "sort of" walked around the city, got up to Macy's and essentially went back, waiting in the ILAA line in order to meet Marcia for the stage tickets, which we did for quite some time. Around 5:15, we met up with John (OU812 JOHN) and Laura (RedRockerGrrl) from Redrocker and pretty much caught up with each other, meeting for the first time in person after communicating online for a year and a half.

We waited until about 5:45 for Marcia to come around, and when she finally did it sunk it for both of us: We were going to be on stage at the Sammy Hagar show! I must say, Sarah had the patience of a fucking saint waiting two hours outside for something to happen with the tickets, so I thank her for that, very much. It was worth it though, no doubt.

We got into the Chicago Theatre around six, and after the relief of using the bathroom for the first time in six hours, we stood around in the ILAA line until Louie let us on stage around 7:50. The ILAA gift set was amazing, as it included a free T-shirt, the passes, etc. In the meantime, John, Laura, Sarah, and I just spoke amongst ourselves to pass the time and it did actually pass the time rather quickly.

So we get on stage, everyone grabs drinks except for Sarah and I as we weren't legal age (kudos to Louie for actually doing his job), and just anticipated the arrival of the Mad Anthony Express to the stage. Sarah and I were essentially placed behind Laura and John, however it was not bad placement at all. Fans spoke with Vic as he took the stage a little early, then JD came on, followed by Mikey himself. Once the car horn of "Runnin' With the Devil" sounded and Mike started playing the opening bassline with his teeth, it was finally time, as the show kicked off in fine order.

After this, we would get nothing but an ass-kicking set of Classic Van Halen tunes (and one ZZ Top song for good measure). "Light Up the Sky" was the second song, which was great because we did not get that from VH in their stop to Chicago. Mike nodded my way in surprise as I threw horns his way, as he seemed to be shocked some 16 year old kid would be jamming out to THAT Van Halen tune. He nodded my way several times throughout the evening. "DOA" was another song VH did not play following LUTS that was also a highlight. "Little Dreamer" followed, which VH did play, but to me sounded more right with Mike handling the vocals.

"Hear About It Later" was, without a doubt, the best song of his set. To me, it's the quintessential Classic VH song, and to hear it played live, at least once in my life, made me very happy. It proved that Van Halen could not have pulled this off in their current setlist, as it sounded absolutely perfect with Mike singing, and VH without Mike just would not have sounded right. The one ZZ Top song, "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers", which was played by Van Halen in South America on the "Hide Your Sheep" tour in 1983. It sounded decent, as Vic and Mike traded lead vocals very well.

The show closed with three more Mike "classics", you can say, from the Classic VH catalog. "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" was first, which he historically often sang lead on in his days with VH, "Bottoms Up" which was also cool to finally hear in a live setting, and closed with "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" which, to me, sounded much better this time around than VH did.

Anyway, Mike left the stage, JD tossed a stick Laura's way (who made a nice catch, by the way) and the setlist was given to some people in front (who I'd inadvertently tried to take the set from. Sorry about that!), as we waited for Hagar to come on. We only had to wait about 15 minutes before his name was announced, and then the bass drum started thumping, Vic started playing the main riff to the opening song, as Sam trotted out and welcomed the Chicago audience.

**Part II On It's Way!**

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

**Part II**

Yes, the opening song was "Sam I Am", and honestly, if I were in charge of the set, I'd have picked a much better song than that to open up. Actually, last year (2006), opening with "Mas Tequila" was probably the best idea he's had of all the times I'd seen him. Then we had to sit through "One Way to Rock" which is a good song every now and then, but gets kind of tiring knowing you're going to hear that every time you see a Sammy Hagar show.

But now I get to stop complaining. After this we got "Piece of My Heart" from Standing Hampton, which was great to finally hear live (always being a personal favorite of mine), followed by "I'll Fall In Love Again", which is a song many Sam fans complain about, but I find it a pleasure to hear live, as last year was the first time I actually had the chance to see him perform it.

"Three Lock Box" followed, which I haven't heard Sam play live since 2002, and instead of stopping it after "secrets of the trinity / lie within the number three" he actually extended it into a jam, which kicked ass. I say this every time I see him, Sam's a very underrated guitar player. He smoked and pretty much blew me away. Next was a new song, "Open", which I consider Sam's return to rock form (that is of course, if he could make the rest of the album rock as hard as that song). I'd say it worked well, only not knowing every word I felt somewhat out of place on this one. Following this was "The Girl Gets Around" from the Footloose soundtrack, and being a personal favorite it was nice to hear this one brought back (the only time I saw him play it was in 2006).

Sam broke into a discussion asking Vic if Mike paid him, and after Vic said no, he called Mike out to talk to him about that, forcing Mona and JD to leave the stage. Sam asked Mike why he wasn't paying Vic, and Mike joked by asking "how could I pay him if you don't pay me!?" After some discussion among them back and forth, Sam shouted into the mic "hello baby!!!!!!!!!!!!" and we knew what was coming. What is perhaps my favorite song of the entire Van Hagar catalog, "Good Enough", was the first song of the very brief Other Half set. It was the main highlight of my 2006 Sammy Hagar experience, and is probably the same story here. Every time he breaks this out, it smokes, and Vic plays Eddie Van Halen's parts to perfection.

Following this was "Poundcake" which could be the second highlight of the evening from Sam's set. Last time he played this at a solo show I've attended was in 2002, so it was nice to hear his take on it again. Vic is playing the song better than he did then, too. Anyway, what helped made this a highlight was the fact that he came through the stage audience to interact with us for the first and only time of the show. It was definitely a special moment, as John finally managed to get a picture of Laura and Sammy together, I had the chance to high five Sam as he signed my Marching to Mars album cover (which looks great now in my collection, being my favorite Hagar album and all), and Sarah got to get her ILAA shirt signed and we both pretty much "met" Sam up there. I think I could speak for her when I say that was definitely a highlight for both of us.

After that we got "Why Can't This Be Love", which got tired ever since VH did it in 2004. But, I guess it's a song he has to play. Mike left the stage after that song and the Wabos returned. Sam did a small rap, after someone threw a huge leather jacket on stage and he put it on. Following that would be "Serious JuJu" which, honestly, is never a song I could get into live. Couldn't in 2000, nor in 2005, and this time was no different. It's a good song, don't get me wrong. I just never enjoyed it live.

If you remember my comments about "One Way to Rock" and how I could honestly live without hearing that song live ever again, I feel that way about two (and only two) other songs. "I Can't Drive 55" was the first, and when I heard the opening drum line I actually found myself saying "aww shit, here we go again" which is kind of a shame. What bothered me most is the song was the extension added after the first chorus, as he spent what felt like a minute and a half putting on a Chicago Blackhawks jersey. It was cool, however, getting the nod of surprise in the second chorus when he turned to the crowd and I shouted "wanted dead or alive!" his way. Once this song ended we got "Heavy Metal" which isn't a bad song, but gets so tired live. I will never forget, however, tapping John on the shoulder, and shouting his way "Can't you feel the static!?" (ask him what it means, maybe he'll tell you ).

Mas Tequila would come next, which is a song I personally believe I could never get tired of live. Always very fun, especially when he gives tequila to almost everyone close to the stage. One especially cool thing about this time around was, being on stage, when the "hey!" parts came around, the entire theater lit up, and it was awesome seeing 4,000 people in front of you pumping their fists in enjoyment.

After some bows and goodbyes, the band stayed on stage and did a new rendition of the Van Halen song "Dreams", as Mike came back out on stage to jam on this one. Sam did a nice rap beforehand, saying how "something you do 23 years ago may seem different to you today". It was all acoustic, but definitely a perfect way to end the show. A shorter show considering Sam's known for his longer show, but definitely not disappointing.

One thing I will say about being on stage is, the sound isn't perfect, but depending on the venue the sound is very good considering the situation. I'd say we got lucky with the venue because we had some very good sound coming our way throughout the show. Plus, the interaction with band members is awesome.

Sarah and I followed John and Laura over to coat check (we ended up outside first, somehow, but found a way back in), and after we got our coats, we walked outside into the chilly November evening in Chicago. We said our goodbyes to John and Laura, who I both gave very big hugs to and well-wishes of a safe trip. It really was a touching goodbye, at least for me, because those are people I've grown very close to over the last year and a half and I finally had the opportunity to meet them.

So Sarah and I got through parking (which was a pain in the ass with all the people). I felt bad because she had good intentions of giving the signed ILAA shirt to her ex-boyfriend, but things obviously didn't work out there. I won't get into detail about it since I honestly don't think it's my place to, however, I did feel bad as that seemed to be a low point of the evening.

Nevertheless, we got out of the lot and after getting directions we got out of Chicago faster than we got in, and she seemed generally happier as we got closer to home, which was a good thing. Much like on the way there, we talked about a lot of things, since we essentially had a lot of time to, which is always nice. We stopped at Wal-Mart briefly on the way home and I ended up walking into my house around 12:15. Took a shower, came onto the computer, and the rest is history.

I have to make a couple notes to some of the people who I encountered and the people I was essentially with:

John and Laura, thank you very much for helping Sarah and I have an outstanding time at the show. It was great to finally meet you both after such a long wait. Laura, you're much lovelier (if that's even a word) in person, and John, you kicked ass just as I expected. Also, a note to John. I'll give you my address, mail me prints of the stage pictures…and don't forget the pig. Haha!

Marcia, without you, last night would not have been possible. Thank you for upgrading the tickets and giving them to us for free, which was so generous of you. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate the Sammy show than that, and it's all thanks to you. I will forever be in debt, whether you like it or not!

Finally and most importantly, Sarah. I can't thank you enough for taking the tickets on such short notice and putting up with me pretty much all day yesterday. Without the ride, I'm pretty sure yesterday would have never happened in the first place, plus, aside from my friend, I couldn't think of anyone who would have appreciated the show more than you, so I essentially figured you "deserved" the stage tickets. And not to get all "mushy" or anything, but when you spend a whole day like that with someone, you tend to feel like you've grown closer to them in a friendly way, and I like that. Thank you for the patience in waiting for the tickets, thank you for putting up with me for nearly 10 hours, and most of all, thanks for making last night's Sammy experience one I'm probably not going to forget.

Overall, it was a terrific night that I'm pretty sure I will not ever forget. The RedHeads I met last night were amazing, and all I can say is I do NOT want to wait until Birthday Bash 2010 to meet up again. Thanks to everyone who made last night special and made yet another Sammy Hagar concert a memorable one. See you crazy mofos somewhere down the road!

-Zach

(Note: no pictures, my camera batteries died. Pictures will be posted by John and Marcia sometime in the not-so-distant future)

Mad Anthony Express Setlist:

Runnin' With the Devil
    Light Up the Sky
    DOA
    Hear About It Later
    Little Dreamer
    Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Bottoms Up!
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Sammy Hagar Setlist:

Sam I Am
    (There's Only) One Way to Rock
    Piece of My Heart
    I'll Fall In Love Again
    Open
    Three Lock Box
    The Girl Gets Around

The Other Half Setlist:

Good Enough
    Poundcake
    Why Can't This Be Love?

Sammy Hagar Setlist Continued:

Serious JuJu
    I Can't Drive 55
    Heavy Metal
    Mas Tequila
    Dreams (featuring Mike)

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could do without
    One Way to Rock
    Three Lock Box
    WCTBL
    Heavy Metal

Over played and he has so many great songs that can go in their place.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AVH Blues View Post
    I could do without
    One Way to Rock
    Three Lock Box
    WCTBL
    Heavy Metal

Over played and he has so many great songs that can go in their place.
    Oh yeah, absolutely.

Kinda surprised he didn't play "24/365", since this is after all being billed as the "24/365 Tour"...

Oh well. I actually like "Three Lock Box". Didn't play it in 2005 and 2006 when I saw him, so it's been retired from Chicago sets since 2002.

I always wanted to hear "Swept Away", "High Hopes", and "Salvation on Sand Hill", but haven't been so lucky. Maybe someday...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Mike Anthony (spot the 16 year old on stage!)

Me, Laura, and John (both from Redrocker.com)