Top Of The World NYCIceCreamMan's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Tour Publicity?

If this is a silly subject by all means close the thread but am I the only one who thinks this tour should get alot more publicity than it has?

I know alot of you will respond that I should just enjoy the shows I've seen and not worry about what other people think, but I think this is a HUGE event and isn't getting the recognition it deserves.

I don't think the band should sell out and do something ridiculous like a silly TRL MTV thing, but how about a Rolling Stone cover during the tour? An interview or two? Some suggested on the forum that showing a portion of one of the shows live on VH1Classic like Springsteen did would've been cool.

I just think this is an incredible event. Would like to know what you think.
    05/23/2008 MSG, NYC
    05/13/2008 Izod Center, NJ
    11/03/2007 Izod Center, NJ
    10/01/2007 Wachovia Center, Philly
    06/30/2006 The Other Half - PNC Arts Center, NJ
    06/22/2004 Continental Arena, NJ
    07/28/1986 Continental Arena, NJ

I don't feel tardy.

RIP BJM..you were there in 86 in NJ. Would've loved 2007-08.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NYCIceCreamMan View Post
    If this is a silly subject by all means close the thread but am I the only one who thinks this tour should get alot more publicity than it has?

I know alot of you will respond that I should just enjoy the shows I've seen and not worry about what other people think, but I think this is a HUGE event and isn't getting the recognition it deserves.

I don't think the band should sell out and do something ridiculous like a silly TRL MTV thing, but how about a Rolling Stone cover during the tour? An interview or two? Some suggested on the forum that showing a portion of one of the shows live on VH1Classic like Springsteen did would've been cool.

I just think this is an incredible event. Would like to know what you think.
    From the tour dates listed in your sig, you seem like you've followed the band somewhat, but from your post it is clear that you are unfamiliar with the way VH does business.
    But i believe I've figured out the process, and the VH way of thinking, and I'll to explain it to you as such.
    Everyone from Azoff management to Valerie, Janie and the brothers are aware that there really isn't any point in doing publicity, garnering attention or getting people's hopes up.
    There is ALWAYS the possibility that this could come to a crashing halt at any given second, it's the VH way. I believe at Caesars in Vegas you can bet a VH over/under on how long they keep this together.
    This is Van Halen, and it is not for the feint of heart.
    Buckle up, and rub a rosary, but for god's sake don't advertise or invite any others on this weird trip unless your confident of their mental stamina.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

This is 2007 not 1987, VH is not a huge band that is promoting a new album. VH is not coming off a huge tour. This is a reunion tour for a band that has not been in any headlines for a decade.

The days of VH being HUGE world wide news are long gone, sorry if some of you disagree but its the honest truth.

If VH had been pumping out albums every 3 to 4 years with a successful tour to support it, I could see them being on the cover of Rolling Stone. My guess is Rolling Stone did not offer them the cover. This is a big tour for VH fans only, the rest of the world could careless.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find it absolutely mind-boggling that there have been no interviews or publicity of any kind. Not so much Ed & big Al but Dave. What's going on here?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    This is a big tour for VH fans only, the rest of the world could careless.
    Upon further review maybe your right. Sadly, VH is not relevant on the contemporary music scene.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    This is 2007 not 1987, VH is not a huge band that is promoting a new album. VH is not coming off a huge tour. This is a reunion tour for a band that has not been in any headlines for a decade.

The days of VH being HUGE world wide news are long gone, sorry if some of you disagree but its the honest truth.

If VH had been pumping out albums every 3 to 4 years with a successful tour to support it, I could see them being on the cover of Rolling Stone. My guess is Rolling Stone did not offer them the cover. This is a big tour for VH fans only, the rest of the world could careless.
    Agreed. And it seems like the way the media covers things nowdays, if you don't have some sort of stink going on, ala Paris Hilton or Britney Spears, you're not going to get any attention anyways. If they continue touring like they are now, with most people satisfied with the performance, nobody gives a shit. But the minute anyone comes forward and blows the lid off a feud between Dave and Ed or Ed pisses in public in front of MSG next week, or whatever, you'll see them briefly back in the headlines. Until Paris or Britney or Tom Cruise does something even more stupid, that is.

(And I meant "stink" in a figurative way)
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dropdeadlegs View Post
    I find it absolutely mind-boggling that there have been no interviews or publicity of any kind. Not so much Ed & big Al but Dave. What's going on here?
    What is understood need not be discussed. These guys did their first press conference, and thats all they want to put out there. They are on tour, come on by and check it out.

These guys are showing up to the show, playing 2 great hours of music together and then going their seperate ways....outside of the show, the van halens are not hanging out with Roth. If they were, then we would be seeing interviews, photo's...blah blah.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Last Online

12.13.14 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I disagree somewhat. I can't speak for other cities, but when the band was in Boston last week I heard plenty of talk about Van Halen on local TV and radio. I tuned into several local rock radio stations on the day of the show, and the VH concert was a lively topic amongst the on air people. The classic rock station played Van Halen A to Z and even one local TV station did a segment on the band during the morning news. Both of the major Boston newspapers did a feature on VH the day before the show and also reviewed the concert the day after. I was actually surprised at how much attention the band was getting that day because the Red Sox had just won the World Series two days before. Boston held a parade for the Red Sox on the same day as the VH show, and a lot of people went from the parade to a bar, and then to the show.

The band doesn't really need to do any publicity or promotions for this tour. Bands only need to do that when an album/tour is struggling. The VH tour is kicking ass.

Last Online

12.13.14 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From a national standpoint, the band received a lot of attention the day after the press conference. I've seen articles on the band in national magazines like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly. Even during game 1 of the World Series a few weeks ago, Tim McGarver and Joe Buck from Fox were discussing the band during the baseball game.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The problem with the Van Halen public relations machine stems from the fact that they hired this nitwit as their press officer:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,389 Times in 763 Posts

Chef, I actually believe this guy would've done a BETTER job than the current PR team.
    Little Dreamer

Top Of The World NYCIceCreamMan's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Since I "followed the band somewhat", you guys helped me understand the process. Good replies. Even the kooky one..lol.
    05/23/2008 MSG, NYC
    05/13/2008 Izod Center, NJ
    11/03/2007 Izod Center, NJ
    10/01/2007 Wachovia Center, Philly
    06/30/2006 The Other Half - PNC Arts Center, NJ
    06/22/2004 Continental Arena, NJ
    07/28/1986 Continental Arena, NJ

I don't feel tardy.

RIP BJM..you were there in 86 in NJ. Would've loved 2007-08.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

IMHO, Van Halen has become a band that simply tries to make the most money they can with the least amount of effort. And I believe the last 9 yeas bears witness to that.

They are already selling out or close to selling out every night, why put more effort into it?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is Warner Brothers involved in any way???

Since the band isn't promoting yet another Greatest Hits, they may not b getting any support from WB?
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Take this for what it's worth, but I think that they should have added a new-for-VH cover tune to the song list, a la "Superstition", and released it to radio and sold it on iTunes for $0.99. They even could have released a video off of their high-def tour screens immediately after the Charlotte show to generate some more publicity.

The YouTube stuff has some viral qualities to it, but there is still a massive, entrenched distribution system that they should be tapping.