Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

Default I guess the 23 different "signature" guitars aren't enough

http://www.music123.com/Dean-Dimebag...21176.Music123

Wow... Can you imagine being murdered in cold blood, and somebody is making $69.99 off a lifesize cardboard cut-out of you?

This is about the sickest thing I've ever seen... I hope Vinnie Paul didn't sign off on this...

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Exploitative? Yup. Yet I don't really get where it's "sick". Unless one has never been to Graceland or seen the "Elvis Dinnerware" sets.

Folk tend to purchase this sort of stuff. There is currently a company called "Fathead" that specializes in life-sized cut outs of various sporting figures. These athletes have signed over the rights to their image for a cut of the profits, however. It's highly unlikely and definitely improbable the caretakers of Dime's estate have done the same.

Questionable, objectionable taste? You bet. Crass and insensitive? Right again. Yet sick? Not really. Grave robbing is a practice that has been around since...well, the invention of graves. It's highly immoral, yet it persists nonetheless.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

i know this sounds morbid, but after i heard evh buried his black and yellow guitar with him that some sick person would dig it up
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    i know this sounds morbid, but after i heard evh buried his black and yellow guitar with him that some sick person would dig it up

i also heard that zakk wylde buried a crate of blacktooth whiskey with him aswell...so when you've finished shoveling you can atleast get plastered after a good jam!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

Here's the thing though Chef... Elvis died more or less of his own accord 30 years ago. The atheletes from Fathead are still alive, and profit themselves off the sales. Dimebag was murdered.. Shot at point blank range by a sick fuck in front of a few hundred people... It just seems in poor taste to me, as if I was as close a friend to Dime as the owner of the company was, I just wouldn't feel right about making any money at all on these things. The guitars are one thing, and they have already gone way over the top on that, but a lifesize cardboard cut-out is just kinda strange.

I don't know the whole legal situation, but the cutout is listed under "Dean".

At Summer Namm 2005, Dean Guitars actually had one of these cut-outs on top of their booth, so visitors could see it from anywhere on the floor.

I thought that was kinda strange, but maybe it's just me. Dude wasn't even dead for a year yet, and they had his lightning guitar in a glass case in front of their booth to attract attention...

I know it's not just him... The Hendrix family have made some serious scratch off Jimi in the last 20 years...

The shit is just strange to me... If my brother was murdered right in front of my eyes, I sure as hell wouldn't allow anybody to sell lifesize cardboard cut-outs of him for $69.99...

~Peace

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The whole thing bothers me too. Props to Dime, but they should let him, Hendrix, Lennon, Elvis, Cobain and any other dead legends who's families are pimping their post-mortem images rest in piece. If someone wants to endorse something while they're alive that's one thing, but after they die it's not cool for their families to make money off the corpse; unless it's for charity or some worthy cause.

Before I step off my soapbox, does anyone know if Dime had a signature guitar before he was murdered? If not, that makes this even sadder, to me anyway.
    Last edited by Otis5150; 11.08.07 at 11:04 AM.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you guys on the despicable nature of the act. You folk may not recall this episode, yet after John Lennon was assassinated, this worm named Albert Goldman wrote a scathing "biography" of Lennon, pretty much painting the artist as an insensitive egotist with homosexual tendencies. This was not the first time the "author" pulled this type of shit, as he did a hatchet job on Elvis Presley years earlier.

In fact, Bono of U2 was so outraged by Goldman's callous disregard for Lennon's legacy and survivors that he included the lines:
    "I don't believe in Goldman his type like a curse
    Instant karma's gonna get him if I don't get him first"
    in the tune "God Pt. II" from "Rattle And Hum".

It's pure exploitation to make a buck, nothing more. The practice is appalling, yet one can't do much more short of legal action (or illegal action, such as physically threatening the seller) other than boycott the product and urge others to do so as well.

Yet believe it or not, legally the seller can then come after you, seeking "restraint of trade" damages. The whole enterprise is in astoundingly bad taste. Yet to label it as a "sickness" gives credence to the notion that these carpetbaggers actually have a mind, let alone a conscience or even a soul, to begin with.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.08.07 at 11:22 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you guys on the despicable nature of the act. You folk may not recall this episode, yet after John Lennon was assassinated, this worm named Albert Goldman wrote a scathing "biography" of Lennon, pretty much painting the artist as an insensitive egotist with homosexual tendencies. This was not the first time the "author" pulled this type of shit, as he did a hatchet job on Elvis Presley years earlier.

In fact, Bono of U2 was so outraged by Goldman's callous disregard for Lennon's legacy and survivors that he included the lines:
    "I don't believe in Goldman his type like a curse
    Instant karma's gonna get him if I don't get him first"
    in the tune "God Pt. II" from "Rattle And Hum".
    Actually, I do remember that. Disgusting.

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.06.10 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder why his estate is not doing anything about it? I do believe this item was available before his death. I think if there is anyone to blame; it would be his estate because they should be on top of these things.

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Damn people will do anything to make a quick buck.
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocker View Post
    Damn people will do anything to make a quick buck.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

I kinda agree with Chef on this one. I don't really see an issue with the cut out. Dead Celebs are big business. Yeah, maybe in questionable taste, and I'm sure there's some kind of time that should pass before the commercialization machine kicks in 100%. Perhaps enough time hasn't passed for some in regards to Dime, especially considering the way he went.

It's not like they're selling ticket stubs from the show the night he was killed, or something like that.

Oh, and by the way, Goldman is still an ass.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    It's not like they're selling ticket stubs from the show the night he was killed, or something like that.
    No, but this is close:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PANTERA-1995-Unu...QQcmdZViewItem

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Oh, and by the way, Goldman is still an ass.
    And fortunately enough, a dead one. (1994)
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Dean Guitars has given this cutouts to dealers.

We had one on the floor for a year or two at my store.

We had at least one offer a day from someone who wanted to buy it from us. We never sold it, but now my boss wants it off of the floor, and doesn't want it hanging around.

So if ya don't want it, why not sell the damn thing?