Register
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Airport Security

So I had to take an emergency trip to Miami on monday morning. I got back Tuesday evening. Bookending this little trip to deal with a dying grandfather and all the related family drama that accompanies such things, were my dealings with airport security.

It's never been more evident that Homeland Security, searches and all the other crap that goes on at the airport is the biggest load of horse shit EVER.

Let me describe...

So I get to the airport. I'm packing super light. A backpack with a couple of t-shirts, socks and boxer briefs. I have a tooth brush, a brand-new unopened stick of deodorant, a tiny tube of toothpaste also new, and a bottle of half-used body powder. I also am packing a pack of cigarettes, a butane lighter and a cel phone.

I walk into the airport no problems. Get to the metal dectors...off with the shoes, everything through the inspectors and I go through the metal dector. They decide they need to look through my bag. The jackass takes my deodorant and toothpaste but leaves me with the butane lighter and WHITE body powder without so much as opening the bottle. It could have been anthrax....could have been cocaine....could have been ANYTHING. Meanwhile, they got people throwing away bottles of water. And that's to say NOTHING about what could have been in my pockets that I didn't take out and show the damn fools. I could have had an eightball and a bag of pot in my cargo pants pockets and because there's no metal, I'd have gone through with any problem.

Now I'm flying back. Off with the shoes etc. I bought another stick of deodorant and I still have the body powder, lighter and everything else. Again the lighter and powder are no problem and this time I can take the deodorant with me too! How bout that for consistency.

Meanwhile, anyone can walk into an airport drop a bomb in a garbage can and leave. ANYONE can walk into the area where the metal detectors are and set off a pipe bomb big enough to tear down half the fucking terminal. But damn it if we're not going to hold everyone up and have them take their shoes off.

It's a joke. It's in place to make middle american yahoos think that our government is doing something. We're no safer than we were on 9/10 except now we just have to put up with a lot more bullshit and all the while all the companies that are contracted to "secure" the airlines are making a fortune.

Oh but don't dare talk about it inline as the overhead speakers clearly announce that if you make any jokes or inappropriate remarks you will be arrested.

Am I calling for "real" airport security. God no. That would be even worse. I am calling for a return to common sense because not only do I not appreciate being held up and robbed of my toiletries so that some jackasses making 10 bucks an hour can save on theirs, I am sick and tired of living in a country that has simply lost its fucking mind.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I agree with you 100% on this one. The whole thing is a farce with absolutely no point whatsoever, as has been pointed out by countless people.

I wasn't aware of the jokes/inappropriate remarks thing though. My god, talk about a police state.

I though things were bad enough in Europe.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I agree with you 100% on this one. The whole thing is a farce with absolutely no point whatsoever, as has been pointed out by countless people.

I wasn't aware of the jokes/inappropriate remarks thing though. My god, talk about a police state.

I though things were bad enough in Europe.
    I can only speak about Houston Intercontinental and Miami Intercontinental as far as the recorded voice telling everyone they'll be arrested if they make a joke. I don't remember that being the case in Raleigh or Fayetteville. I flew there a month or so ago and I don't remember the voice at those airports. Maybe it's just international airports.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's fun, isn't it? I haven't travelled a lot since 2004, but I used to fly pretty regularly. You just adjust and learn to take your shoes off before you get to the front of the line.

This is what people wanted. They wanted to feel safe, and this is what we made. Of course it's not any safer. It's a huge government jobs program, and all it really does is increase costs for everyone and create a lot of hassle.

When I was a kid I used to ride my bike to the international airport, and go walk around the terminal. I've always loved aviation, and it was cool. My friends and I would ask the airport police where we could lock up our bikes, and then go walk around. The observation deck was still open then. Kids now don't have that opportunity.

My favorite part is listening to my 80 year old grandfather complain about how he can't take his pocket knife with him anymore. We always have to convince him to give it up while dropping him off at the airport.

It's all BS, but what are you gonna do? I particularly enjoyed the irony of being given a serrated metal knife to cut my sausage patties with on a Continental flight a few years ago. (Great breakfast, by the way. Easily one of the better airline meals I've had!) All you can do is roll with it until cooler heads prevail.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I can only speak about Houston Intercontinental and Miami Intercontinental as far as the recorded voice telling everyone they'll be arrested if they make a joke. I don't remember that being the case in Raleigh or Fayetteville. I flew there a month or so ago and I don't remember the voice at those airports. Maybe it's just international airports.
    You just can't joke about blowing anything up or being a terrorist. It's always been that way.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    You just can't joke about blowing anything up or being a terrorist. It's always been that way.
    i think it's lame and beyond ridiculous.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Canada doesn't sound so bad right now.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy5150 View Post
    Canada doesn't sound so bad right now.
    our airports aren't any better. And I swear that the security guards at Pearson (toronto int'l airport) have Osama in their Fave 5.

Everytime I'm their and they ask me questions I want to say "shouldn't I be asking you questions?". They gave my mother-in-law all kinds of hassles when we were going to Vegas. She was certainly a prime terrorist candidate, I know most planes are hijacked by 60 year old Italian ladies travelling with their family. I'm not saying that they should only hassle muslims (that would be a little unfair) but random checks don't make much sense if they're hassling my mother-in-law and letting the 2 egyptian 20 year olds in front us without question. That's just stupid.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Body powder? lol

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    Body powder? lol
    yeah..you know...like Gold Bond...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

I could have had an eightball and a bag of pot in my cargo pants pockets and because there's no metal, I'd have gone through with any problem.

They could care less. You're not going to bring down an airplane with some dope. Besides, they don't have the authority to do anything about your personal drug habits. If they happen to find it, and they do find plenty of drugs on normal people everyday, people come to the airport to travel with all kinds of wierd shit on their person, there are Law Enforcement Officers, usually local police, right around every corner at every airport in the US.

...WHITE body powder without so much as opening the bottle. It could have been anthrax....could have been cocaine....could have been ANYTHING....
    and 9.999999 times out of 10 it usually is anything except something bad. I can't tell you how many times the Hazmat guys respond to baby formula or sugar or non-fucking-dairy creamer.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Glad you made it home safely.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.