Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Opinions on the NEW OLP MM1F

Anyone tried one of these new 2007 OLP MM1-FR guitars? I've always dreamed of buying an Axis, but never bit the bullet and went for it.

I used to have a Wolfgang Special (American version), but sold it. I currently have one of the Kramer re-issues (1984).

Supposedly, the new OLP features a Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo and new pickups.

Any reviews on this thing?

Here is a link to the guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLP-MM1-FR-AXIS-...QQcmdZViewItem
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think for just a little more money you can have a USA Wolfgang Special again, and it'll be 10X the guitar.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I think for just a little more money you can have a USA Wolfgang Special again, and it'll be 10X the guitar.
    Yea, I loved that Wolfgang. I just needed the money at the time (4 years ago).

Here's my Kramer:

http://www.cmfiles.com/jeff/guitar/s...kramer1984.jpg

I love the look of the guitar, but hate the way it plays. It's not even in the same league as the Wolfgang. I hate the way it's set up. The action is so high, I should just be playing a cello!
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

ive read mixed reviews of the olp but personaly have never played one for more than a few minutes.
    a lot of people recomend changing the pickups and the bridge (but since this has an original floyd this shouldn't be an issue)
    some people say that the quality is a bit of a mixed bag aswell, so i wouldn't recomend buying before you try but again i wouldnt recomend this at any time when buying a guitar UNLESS you are either an expert or its the bargain of the century.
    personaly i'd save a bit more cash and buy the wolfie again A.T. is correct when he says it will be a better guitar...a much better guitar...and made in the u.s.a. too not korea or wherever olp's are made
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.23.08 @ 12:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forget that ebay link.
    Go to the source.

http://www.olpguitars.com/

If you get one get it professionaly setup if needed.
    We have 2 OLP guitars. The MM1 and MM1F
    I put a set of original EBMM pickups in the one and it plays great.
    Sure the woods are cheaper. But remember there was this guy who built his own from crap parts, and became a guitar God.

Look for these at pawn shops also to save some cash.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDBoy View Post
    Yea, I loved that Wolfgang. I just needed the money at the time (4 years ago).

Here's my Kramer:

http://www.cmfiles.com/jeff/guitar/s...kramer1984.jpg

I love the look of the guitar, but hate the way it plays. It's not even in the same league as the Wolfgang. I hate the way it's set up. The action is so high, I should just be playing a cello!
    The action is easy to adjust. Who painted it?
    Hill guitars from Cleveland is making them:

http://www.hillguitars.com/kramer.htm

But they by law cannot stripe them.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LetsrockDDLR View Post
    The action is easy to adjust. Who painted it?
    Hill guitars from Cleveland is making them:

http://www.hillguitars.com/kramer.htm

But they by law cannot stripe them.
    I had a local source help me with it. He was (still is I'm sure) a great guy.
    To protect him, I will keep him nameless at this point.....due to the legal issues. He painted it for me long before the Ed Army started cracking down on it.

I'm glad I got it when I did!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way, let me explain a little further my situation.

I'm not a professional musician. I'm not even in a band. I play in my own house for my own pleasure. So, some of my demands may not be the same as the more demanding player.

I've only been playing for a few years, so I still consider myself a noob.

With that said, I was wondering about the OLP if I was willing to change out the pickups, etc. Then again, if I put too much money into upgrading an OLP, I may be getting to the point where I should just buy the Axis instead.

I do have to tell you, the audience in my house thinks I'm the greatess guitarist of all time. I am the Eddie Van Halen of my house! Just ask my dogs!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if u hunt round ebay etc you may find a set of wolfgang pickups you could simply drop them in and bingo theres a great upgrade for peanuts...also im pretty sure you can buy the dimarzio pups that ed used with his ebmm guitars although i forget which ones they were.
    then its just a case of having a REALLY good setup n you're away.
    if you ust play at home and your audience is your dogs then i wouldnt consider buying an axis...this would meet your needs
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

By the way, let me explain a little further my situation.

I'm not a professional musician. I'm not even in a band. I play in my own house for my own pleasure. So, some of my demands may not be the same as the more demanding player.

I've only been playing for a few years, so I still consider myself a noob.

With that said, I was wondering about the OLP if I was willing to change out the pickups, etc. Then again, if I put too much money into upgrading an OLP, I may be getting to the point where I should just buy the Axis instead.

I do have to tell you, the audience in my house thinks I'm the greatess guitarist of all time. I am the Eddie Van Halen of my house! Just ask my dogs!
    It's a lot of fun modding your own guitar, and there's a lot of pride in playing it afterward when you're done so. Still, you want to know that the fundamental basis on which that guitar was manufactured was based on quality. The OLPs pursue quality to an extent, but it is more about the price point and is a far cry from their USA counterparts (speaking of the Axis and Wolfgang). That being said, I've seen a couple of black and ivory USA Wolfgang Specials on eBay for around $575 this last week, and I scored my '97 trans purple flame Axis on eBay for about $860 a few months back. Why spend four bills or more on an import guitar--with questionable materials--that will require modding and upgrading to pickups and hardware and will ultimately approach the final price of the better instrument anyway? Also, an Axis or Wolf will hold its value--possibly even grow in value. An OLP will not.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally don't care for the new OLP MM1F for the simple reason that they recessed the trem.

I would recommend buying the first generation MM1 and adding a flush mounted Floyd.
    I don't think the stock pickups are as bad as you guys make them out to be.
    I also thought that they probably suck if they come stock in a $150 guitar, but after reading a few good reviews, I gave them a fair chance and I was pleasantly surprised.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

Get one of these instead for $199 (free shipping too)

http://www.music123.com/Floyd-Rose-O...20150.Music123

A real Floyd, so you don't have to worry about them discontinuing the speedloader strings...

Spend the extra money you save on some liver snaps for the dogs...!
    Last edited by EJC; 11.08.07 at 12:14 PM.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Get one of these instead for $199 (free shipping too)

http://www.music123.com/Floyd-Rose-O...20150.Music123

A real Floyd, so you don't have to worry about them discontinuing the speedloader strings...

Spend the extra money you save on some liver snaps for the dogs...!
    The OLP has a real Floyd Rose on it. I understand what you are saying though. The only problem is, I'd REALLY have to learn to like the appearance of that guitar. The OLP at least looks like an Axis.

I like the feel of the Axis/Wolfgang style neck.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default OLP

For what it's worth, I came within an eyelash of buying one of these and didn't pull the trigger. I really regret it now. But, that's not really what I'm posting to say. I talked to SUCKA about this guitar and he loved it. He's had one and a couple different Wolfies. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The OLP has a real Floyd Rose on it. I understand what you are saying though. The only problem is, I'd REALLY have to learn to like the appearance of that guitar. The OLP at least looks like an Axis.

I like the feel of the Axis/Wolfgang style neck.

The OLP is built to copy the EBMM, not the Wolfgang. Nobody on here payed anywhere near $400 for an OLP. If they did they got robbed. You can find them for a lot less than that. And the MM1 Guitar Center is liquidating there inventory of them for the low price of $113.00

The Axis is twice as much as the average Wolfgang. Nobody is making generic copies of the Axis (yet). But about a 1/4 of the Wolfgangs on eBay are not the real thing or are totally listed wrong. I got mine there. I paid $550 for it. After contacting Peavey i found out mine is worth more than $3,000.

You'll love the OLP. So who cares about cheaper parts. Your dog wont bite you for it.

I think the Dimarzio pickup was the "tone zone", not sure.

John