Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 06:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 07 made me realize how bad 04 was

In 2004 I saw the boys in Worcester, Ma. I came home thinking it was a great show. I was happy.

A couple weeks ago, I saw VH in Boston W/Dave and Wolfie, and that experience allowed me to realize how horrible 04 was.

Look at this video of Poundcake from Worcester 04:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YgcCT6s1Wtc

Watch for each of these events:

At 0:37 Sammy stumbles into Eddie.
    At 0:44 Sammy apologizes to Ed
    At 1:56 Sammy bends over and falls flat on ass
    At 1:59 Sammy with belly exposed. Yikes.
    At 2:06 Sammy just sits down on the floor.
    At 5:23 Sammy basically quits the song and starts "break time," even though the song still has 15 seconds left!
    At 5:30 Sammy wipes sweat from face
    At 5:36 Sammy drinks his juice (Sammy's old, tired and out of shape)

How did I think that was a good show? I also remember that Sam, Mike and Ed had almost no interaction.

VH was stagnating with Sam (and his sheep Mike). In 07, Dave makes a genuine effort to put on a great show. He isn't falling down and sitting on the floor.

RIP Van Hagar. Since Wolfie basically engineered 07, let me say Thank You Wolf for opening my eyes and making Van Halen "Mighty" once again.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by panache View Post
    In 2004 I saw the boys in Worcester, Ma. I came home thinking it was a great show. I was happy.

A couple weeks ago, I saw VH in Boston W/Dave and Wolfie, and that experience allowed me to realize how horrible 04 was.

At 5:23 Sammy basically quits the song and starts "break time," even though the song still has 15 seconds left!

How did I think that was a good show? I also remember that Sam, Mike and Ed had almost no interaction.

VH was stagnating with Sam (and his sheep Mike). In 07, Dave makes a genuine effort to put on a great show. He isn't falling down and sitting on the floor.

RIP Van Hagar. Since Wolfie basically engineered 07, let me say Thank You Wolf for opening my eyes and making Van Halen "Mighty" once again.
    damn right!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.28.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know what's really funny panache, you never mention the fact that Ed was drunk off his ass that whole time. Comparing 04 to 07 is like comparing apples and oranges. On this tour, Ed is NOT drunk, therefore, he's playing everything in the right key(or most of it). Do you know how hard it is for the rest of the band to follow a drunken lead guitarist when he goes off on his own tangent.

If you wanted to compare 04 to 07, we would have to get a sober Ed on stage with Sammy and Mike, and only then would we be able to make that comparison. And by the way, there are many Youtube videos from the 04 tour which show Ed, almost purposely, playing out of key so as to make it harder for Sammy to sing.

You make it seem like it was all Sammy's fault in 04, when the real problem was the alcoholic to his left.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.21.17 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Plus Sammy didn't jump around on an inflatable microphone....which by the way...screams rock-n-roll, so 07' takes the cake!

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Default pacing

They are pacing this tour much better because they now realize their limitations.

Eddie was out of his F#$%^& mind. period.

Sammy threw in the towel - can't blame him, either.

"A man's gotta know his limitations." - I believe this is from some Dirty Harry sequel.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Funny how none of those observation mentioned Ed butchering the fucking song.......wonder if this is a Roth-tards attempt to try and be democratic.....

Edit: lightmeup55 basically said what I said....well said LMU55
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, I totally agree that Ed was a drunken idiot in '04. I'm also saying that Sam was just going through the motions until the check arrived in his mailbox, and Mikey just follows Sam around like a lost puppy. '04 sucked because of Ed's drinking and Mr. Tequila's "who gives a shit" attitude.

Dave is working his butt off each night. Wolf is the reason. Good riddance Van Hagar.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

No 2004 sucked because of Ed and only Ed. The only thing that saved those shows was Mike and Sam. Two un-miserable people. Get over it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

2007 Ed > 2004 Ed.

I would give up and throw in the towel too if you believe the stories about Ed's attitude in 2004. It took Sam and Mike sucking it up just so you could see that show. It also took Sam to stick up for Mike so you could see him. Dave ain't the messiah, you know.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Oh, I totally agree that Ed was a drunken idiot in '04. I'm also saying that Sam was just going through the motions until the check arrived in his mailbox, and Mikey just follows Sam around like a lost puppy. '04 sucked because of Ed's drinking and Mr. Tequila's "who gives a shit" attitude.

Dave is working his butt off each night. Wolf is the reason. Good riddance Van Hagar.
    LOL. Are you fucking joking me! Dave isn't going through the motions?!?!? Please make that statement again so the jury can hear that! The WHOLE show now is scripted! Dave says the same things each night...at the same times. Ed and Dave HUG at the same times each night.....Dave takes out the same props each night......Yeah Dave is really working his butt off....it must be hard to remember to do all these things:

1. Hug Eddie during the break of I'm the One
    2. Say that this is Wolfie's Big moment during the break of Unchained
    3. Saying 3/4 Original 1/4 inevitable
    4. Getting the chains out during Unchained....which is really fucking stupid and lame
    5. Doing the SAME....EXACTLY the SAME jam during You Really Got Me and Somebody Get Me a Doctor

Need I say more.....this tour is like I have said before like McDonalds.....you walk into one anywhere in the world...and you forget what country your in because they are all the same.....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Fuck Dave's in this for one thing...the money. And that's fine and dandy, but don't make it out to be more than that. He's doing some bizarre things on stage too, like the retarded inflatable Mike, the stupid sailor shit, and lounge-singing a lot of material. He's hardly perfect. I've seen plenty of evidence and reviews of Dave just going through the motions.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

07.12.16 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's Ed missing his cue at the end of Finish What Ya Started. Sammy gets real pissed and Al saves Ed by continuing to play with him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HuCIBQZH3u8

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    LOL. Are you fucking joking me! Dave isn't going through the motions?!?!? Please make that statement again so the jury can hear that! The WHOLE show now is scripted! Dave says the same things each night...at the same times. Ed and Dave HUG at the same times each night.....Dave takes out the same props each night......Yeah Dave is really working his butt off....it must be hard to remember to do all these things:

1. Hug Eddie during the break of I'm the One
    2. Say that this is Wolfie's Big moment during the break of Unchained
    3. Saying 3/4 Original 1/4 inevitable
    4. Getting the chains out during Unchained....which is really fucking stupid and lame
    5. Doing the SAME....EXACTLY the SAME jam during You Really Got Me and Somebody Get Me a Doctor

Need I say more.....this tour is like I have said before like McDonalds.....you walk into one anywhere in the world...and you forget what country your in because they are all the same.....
    The people in Broadway plays perform a "...whole show that is scripted" night after night for months at a time. The script isn't in question, the performance is.

Of course Dave (and all the members of the band) do the same things at the same moments every night. That's the show they planned and rehearsed.

The difference is in giving that performance your best or just "phoning it in." That is to say, going through the motions with a half-hearted effort until the final curtain call.

Dave gives a good performance. Sam lays down on the floor. Mike does whatever Sam does. That's what I'm saying.

Last Online

07.12.16 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The people in Broadway plays perform a "...whole show that is scripted" night after night for months at a time. The script isn't in question, the performance is.

Of course Dave (and all the members of the band) do the same things at the same moments every night. That's the show they planned and rehearsed.

The difference is in giving that performance your best or just "phoning it in." That is to say, going through the motions with a half-hearted effort until the final curtain call.

Dave gives a good performance. Sam lays down on the floor. Mike does whatever Sam does. That's what I'm saying.
    Sam was hi-fiving the fans and he went to get up and slipped. At the end of that horrid performance by Ed on Poundcake I'd drink and wipe my face too. I am surprised he just didn't walk off the stage. And you know what, if Ed is not consisitent on the 2007 tour, Dave better walk out as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Dave has phoned in performances....Kansas City for example. Hell my friend in Cleveland wrote a review to me privately (that I posted on here) and said he was disappointed that Dave seemed to be just going through the motions.

I don't get some of you. Sam having fun and signing autographs may make for a weaker singing performances, but its hardly "going through the motions." That's the one thing it's not for sure.

If Ed played anywhere near what he is doing now, the shows would have been better. The blame should lie where it deserves to be.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!