HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:58 PM
    Liked 1,331 Times in 801 Posts

New Book - Everybody Wants Some : The Van Halen Saga

Author - Ian Christe

Hardcover, 320 pages w/16-page color photo insert
    -- Released August 24, 2007 --

I read some of this book today at Barnes & Noble.
    It's an interesting read. I only had time to scan the pre-Hagar parts. When they started drilling outside with the jackhammer... it was time to go...

What I came away with is my further hatred of how Ted Templeman and fucking WB were so dead set on VH being a "singles" band.... vs. the greatness of an anti-singles style of a band like Zeppelin.

And how that manipluating fuck Templeman wouldn't let Eddie layer and overdub.... because we wouldn't be able to re-create that in concert..

And, Eddie is quoted as saying he wanted to do longer songs ala Zeppelin.... but DLR wouldn't hear of it, because the songs had to be short enough for him to dance to. [Fag]

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't think they would've enjoyed the success they've had if they weren't a singles band... their musical style is far from epic like a led zep or early metallica, yes, early genesis, etc.... hell, they started out as a top 40 covers band - they were definitively set up to be a singles band...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

You And Your Blues
    Last Online

10.30.15 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I bought it, but I dunno...

The way it was written, it didnt really keep me interested. Pluss, Alot of it I already knew...

But, its cool to have as a VH fan tho. I dont regret buying it.
    FULL TIME LURKER

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

I plan on having the book.... a little later.... when it makes it to the discount bins.... I've gotten many nice books for around $5 (and less) in that way.....

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Romeo Delight LoveWatchingEddie's Avatar
    Favorite VH Song

Panama & ATBL
    Last Online

08.03.08 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I plan on having the book.... a little later.... when it makes it to the discount bins....
    Shouldn't take long, it's not that great a book.

Which is not to say it's not worth having. I kind of tuned out after DLR left and didn't even know they were still around until a few years ago. The book caught me up.

It's just that it goes on and on and ON about the music, not enough about the people, IMO. The author didn't interview anyone in the band for the book, so there's no first-hand accounts of things, just repeats of stuff written by others.

Favorite VH Album

VHI and F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One/Humans Being
    Last Online

03.28.12 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finished reading the book this morning and I thought it was ok. I think the author was favoring Roth a little too much. I got the impression he didn't like the Hagar-years at all, and was pretty much just saying that they still sold a lot of albums. Overall it was a pretty good read.
    Don't regret the rules I broke
    when I die
    Bury me in smoke

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenshoes View Post
    I finished reading the book this morning and I thought it was ok. I think the author was favoring Roth a little too much. I got the impression he didn't like the Hagar-years at all, and was pretty much just saying that they still sold a lot of albums. Overall it was a pretty good read.
    I definitely agree with your opinion of Ian Christie somewhat favoring Roth over Hagar. I got that impression as well throughout the book, especially at the end of the book with the "Van Hagar for dummies" Bonus segment, where he lists the "7 least worst songs of Van Hagar", going on to say that Roth fans will not jump to the dark side, but be able to at least stomach these 7 tracks. Also IMO goes WAY MORE in depth into Roth's solo career career than into Sammy's. Granted, Roth's solo ventures coincided w/the Van Hagar years, but yeah, Christie IMO is a Roth fan. Agreed though, a good read. Better than VH 101, but I even enjoyed that despite the negative comments it received here

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Overall, Everybody Wants Some is a great book - but not a perfect book - that Van Halen fans should own. IMO, Van Halen's history is not as in-depth and controversial as other bands (i.e. Led Zeppelin) but Ian could have easily added another 50 pages of info for us. I have HUNDREDS of magazines and articles about Van Halen and would think of things that could have been added as I was reading the book, but I can't think of anything right now. I'll have to page through the book and post random thoughts as I can think of them.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10: worthy, yet flawed.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    I'd give it a 7 out of 10: worthy, yet flawed.
    Considering some of the useless crap that defines the genre of the rock biography today, that rating is highly encouraging. Speaking of crap, a word of advice folks: Stay away from Ronnie Wood's current book.

For something truly compelling, I highly recommend Slash's memoir. It's quite refreshing in it's brutal honesty.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

Panama & ATBL
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speaking of crap, a word of advice folks: Stay away from Ronnie Wood's current book.
    I was planning to get that one. I'd rather not just waste money. What makes it bad?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWatchingEddie View Post
    I was planning to get that one. I'd rather not just waste money. What makes it bad?
    Here: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...&postcount=344
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Here's some stuff I wish they would have included or expanded upon:
    -Dave wanted to tour one summer - between FW and DD? - without a new album to support. You know...just to get out there and do it: play the hits and cash in. Ed and Al didn't want to do that; they wanted to have a new album to tour behind. [note to the Brothers: what the heck do you clowns think you're doing right now?]
    -The boon of Ed Leffler becoming Van Halen's manager. Mr. Leffler was a big player in the Van Halen saga during Sammy's tenure. He was pro-VH, and took a rich band and made them all VERY rich. He renegotiated Van Halen's royalty rates, and came up with some innovative royalty/publishing arrangements on past/present/future products. He also worked with promoters across the nation and got guarantees for lots of promotion. Van Halen made phat bank for each show on every tour: it was win/win for VH and promoters. Promoters loved him, Warner Bros. loved him, and so did Van Halen...how often does a person find a manager like THAT?!?
    -A little more about Ray Danniels. The problem with this is that there's not a lot of official documentation in magazines and such about how he supposedly screwed up Van Halen: just lots of "he said/he said". But where there's smoke, there's fire.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Considering some of the useless crap that defines the genre of the rock biography today, that rating is highly encouraging. Speaking of crap, a word of advice folks: Stay away from Ronnie Wood's current book.

For something truly compelling, I highly recommend Slash's memoir. It's quite refreshing in it's brutal honesty.
    Iwas wondering.... has Slash, admitted in any publications yet, how they fucked up ATBL at the RRHOF? That's something I'd like to see. NO WAY Guitar World mentioned that Fuck Up when they were pimping Slash for his new CD release!!!!

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    Iwas wondering.... has Slash, admitted in any publications yet, how they fucked up ATBL at the RRHOF? That's something I'd like to see. NO WAY Guitar World mentioned that Fuck Up when they were pimping Slash for his new CD release!!!!
    Actually, in an abstract way, Slash did ( based purely upon my own speculation, mind you), in his memoir. He mentions that as an exercise, he likes to play simple figures in a complex way, seeking out the notes of a phrase in an extended manner.

This could explain why "ATBL" was performed not as simple varied fingerings of the A minor chord, yet rather as some complicated "riffing" on the G, B and E strings.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.12.07 at 07:51 PM.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

Panama & ATBL
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way, Chef, thanks for your link. I was horrified at Ronnie Wood's story about him and Led Zeppelin. Don't publishing companies use fact checkers to keep crap like that from being in the final book?

I won't buy the book now. I'll still look at the pictures in the store, but that really soured me on Wood.