Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove (Solo)
    Last Online

03.25.08 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Moderation Censorship of Ed's TERRIBLE Recent Performances

This is a new thread that should be closed pretty quick...

To the moderators closing the threads related to Eddie's TERRIBLE performances in both:

MEAN STREET
    Kansas City, MO (10/26/07)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LqqWxGQW2wM

and

AIN'T TALKING 'BOUT LOVE
    East Rutherford, NJ (11/3/07)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ld4n_1Wwl9c

I would seriously think twice about the people's VALID VIDEO EVIDENCE of said performances.

I saw them in Toronto on 10/7 and am waiting to see them this Saturday in Montreal. I can tell you now that I am more than a little bit concerned with these circulating videos and am astonished by how people on this site are defending Eddie to the death...and how threads pertaining to these performances are being debated or even worse, CLOSED by moderators.

In Toronto, Eddie was coming in a bit late on certain bars likely due to monitoring issues (see my post in the Toronto 10/7 thread), but he was far from SUCKING LIKE THIS.

Eddie is:

- Missing his cue-ins (likely to monitoring issues yet to be resolved since early October)
    - Picking and fingering slopily (seriously, like a drunk)
    - Out of tune, routinely..and SEVERELY
    - Out of sync with the band
    - Winging solos, BADLY...not in the improvisational way we all are appreciative of & accustomed to

There appears to be issues with feedback which is out of his control, but the rest of it is clearly a man who is on the brink of disaster.

He is obviously on something more powerful than even he can handle as he has NEVER sounded SHITTY like this EVER in his elustrious career...EVER!!!

If anything is to be discussed here, it should be this, not about how Wolfie's mommy is packing him lunches and how much hair removal product DLR is using on his chest.

Are you people that horny for typing???
    22 years of absense reaps this as a result???

Is stuff like this is happening now, I can only fear the worse later on down the line.
    Greg
    Montreal, Canada

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

forgetting 04, are we?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove (Solo)
    Last Online

03.25.08 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotforteacher921 View Post
    forgetting 04, are we?
    I saw them in Toronto and Montreal in 2004.
    Nothing close to this my friend, not even remotely.

His solo in Montreal was as unscripted as I have ever seen, but he played with talent.

The 2 videos posted in my thread starter e-mail clearly show someone who is more than just HIGH.
    Greg
    Montreal, Canada

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
    I saw them in Toronto and Montreal in 2004.
    Nothing close to this my friend, not even remotely.

His solo in Montreal was as unscripted as I have ever seen, but he played with talent.

The 2 videos posted in my thread starter e-mail clearly show someone who is more than just HIGH.
    i personally think its best to just wait and watch for Loon bottles on stage. personaly, im hoping that IF he falls off the wagon at some point, do it after Phoenix!!!

but some of his improvisation is a bit painful, i will agree on that. the mean street intro and solo need a bit of work.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Why would I close it, I think Eddie's performances have been awful at times and I have been ripped to shreds by everyone here.

So Skibble, not sure what the fuck you're talking about. I have been Ed's harshest critic and have taken the most shit for it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.13.07 @ 06:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ye of little faith, I think you should listen to the footage a LITTLE closer. Granted, Eddie is obviously trying out some new stuff and not everything 'worked out'. Touring can be quite boring. Plus, a crappy pin-head sized microphone picking up a loud rock band from the nose-bleeds is only going to deny any frequency below 500hz and grossly accentuate everything above - especially feedback and reverberation in a sports arena. Hardly an accurate piece of evidence.

It's not just the replication of notes that make a concert great. I've heard people say that this manifestation of VH is nothing more than a mediocre cover band, but when something goes against the grain of pent-up expectations (i.e. "I've been waiting 22 years for this goddamit!"), the dutch boys have mucked it up. Call the CVH police!

I saw them in Toronto and I was blown away. I didn't keep score but I certainly enjoyed the show.

Last Online

12.13.14 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got back from tonight's show in Worcester, MA and Eddie was brilliant, as was the rest of the band. Just as good as last week's Boston show. From what I've seen and read, we got the two best shows of the tour so far here in Massachusetts.

Last Online

07.12.16 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by good photography View Post
    Ye of little faith, I think you should listen to the footage a LITTLE closer. Granted, Eddie is obviously trying out some new stuff and not everything 'worked out'. Touring can be quite boring. Plus, a crappy pin-head sized microphone picking up a loud rock band from the nose-bleeds is only going to deny any frequency below 500hz and grossly accentuate everything above - especially feedback and reverberation in a sports arena. Hardly an accurate piece of evidence.

It's not just the replication of notes that make a concert great. I've heard people say that this manifestation of VH is nothing more than a mediocre cover band, but when something goes against the grain of pent-up expectations (i.e. "I've been waiting 22 years for this goddamit!"), the dutch boys have mucked it up. Call the CVH police!

I saw them in Toronto and I was blown away. I didn't keep score but I certainly enjoyed the show.
    Don't buy this at all. This is inexcusable. You don't try out new stuff, when people are paying a lot of money to hear the classics perform the right way.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time I've seen these two gems. WOW !! ATBL is especially awful. I hate to say it but, i agree that he is drinking again after seeing that shit, he is all over the place!! That is not typical improvisation from Ed at all. He should know better than to think he can fool the most loyal fans in the world. I will keep my eye on youtube from here on out because if they ever make it to a second leg and come to Florida, i won't shell out that kind of cash for that bullshit. I will say,this is somewhat odd, as most of the video i have seen of Ed's playing on this tour has been quite good. I feel sorry for his rythym section.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

to add, I'm sure Ed hasn't had to tune a guitar while touring for the past quarter of a century...so tuning problems are not Ed's problem. Bye-bye roadie. I'm sure Wolfie has also given Pops an ultimatum...drink and I'm outta here. Wouldn't put it past him or the rest of the band. The recording quality of Ain't talking 'bout love was the only thing shitty about that clip...pointing out an intro flub is just nit-picking.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan View Post
    Don't buy this at all. This is inexcusable. You don't try out new stuff, when people are paying a lot of money to hear the classics perform the right way.
    Only like to see trained monkeys at the zoo? BORING! Would rather see people take chances than stick to what's safe. That's what life is about. Last time I heard safe music was in an elevator.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by good photography View Post

If you cannot tell something is wrong in those two videos than you are in denial. That just sucks ass, if you did not know ATBL backwards and forwards and took out the lyrics, one would not know what the fuck it was!! It was God awful as much as i hate to admit it. Just be honest with yourself, it was almost like he had forgotten the song.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

There's a difference between taking chances and just sucking.

I agree that people calling these things nit-picking and bad sound from the clips are just in denial. There is a problem with Ed's playing.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
    This is a new thread that should be closed pretty quick...

To the moderators closing the threads related to Eddie's TERRIBLE performances in both:

Great thread....I'm a moderator here at the links and here's my review of Ed's solo in DC last Thursday.

"Ed. He was sober and played well at times. His "solo" spot was complete garbage....the worst I've ever heard if you throw out the 2004 SustainerFest......He's just fuckin' around up there....Cathedral had issues...he couldn't quite get the swells down with the delay....like not enough sustain out of the swells.....He played 316....just nothing new really. I dig the new tone"

I was a little suprised that my fellow Mods didn't delete that part of my review.....Skibble I think you're onto Brett.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me add that Ed was on fire in DC and played well most of the night. A few of the classic solos, he didn't quite pick every note and nail every lick, but damn, that shit off the first record in insane and a lot of the shit is hard to nail live....despite the fact I've heard Tribute Bands nail the stuff....

That KC clip is really bad...2004ish, but Ed's playing is 100 times better this tour than the last.....I would have some concern with Ed....I think he was a little weird after Al's drum solo...other reviews have mentioned that as well....not sure what he's getting into for 7 minutes during the solo, but wasn't quite as sharp after that.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett