Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Hollywood writers go on strike

Hollywood writers go on strike

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The strike by Hollywood writers is on. Writers and studios broke off talks late Sunday after 11 hours of negotiations.

The talks between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers were called by a federal mediator. The producers said a deal couldn't be reached.

The writers want more money from the sale of DVDs and a share of revenue generated by the sale of TV shows and films over the Internet. The studios say the demands are unreasonable and will hamper attempts to experiment with new media.

Picketing starts in the morning in New York and Los Angeles.

The walkout will affect late-night talk shows first, then daytime talk shows and soap operas. Studios have stockpiled movie scripts and prime-time TV has completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

Hollywood writers and studio representatives held last-ditch negotiations Sunday in an effort to prevent a strike, the writers union said.

A federal mediator called the meeting between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television producers at an undisclosed location.

The first picket lines are scheduled to form at New York's Rockefeller Center, followed by picket lines at various locations in Los Angeles, the guild said.

The studios say the demands are unreasonable and would hamper attempts to experiment with new media. Video Watch a report on the dispute

The last time Hollywood writers went on strike was in 1988. The walkout lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry about $500 million.

WGA board members voted unanimously Friday to begin the strike unless studios offered a more lucrative deal. The two sides have been meeting since July.

"The studios made it clear that they would rather shut down this town than reach a fair and reasonable deal," Patric Verrone, president of the western chapter of the guild, said at a news conference. Video Watch Verrone discuss a 'bad contract'

J. Nicholas Counter, chief negotiator for producers, called the writers' strike "precipitous and irresponsible" in a prepared statement.

Producers believe progress can be made on other issues but "it makes absolutely no sense to increase the burden of this additional compensation" involving DVDs and the Internet, he said.

The first casualty of the strike would be late-night talk shows, which are dependent on current events to fuel monologues and other entertainment.

"The Tonight Show" on NBC will go into reruns starting Monday if last-ditch negotiations fail and a strike begins, according to a network official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to comment publicly.

Comedy Central has said "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" would likely go into repeats as well.

Daytime TV, including live talk shows such as "The View" and soap operas, which typically tape about a week's worth of shows in advance, would be next to feel the impact.

The strike would not immediately affect production of movies or prime-time TV programs. Most studios have stockpiled dozens of movie scripts, and TV shows have enough scripts or completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

Talks between writers and producers will likely impact upcoming negotiations between the studios and unions representing actors and directors.

All those unions believe revenue from content offered on the Internet, cell phones and other platforms will grow tremendously in the years ahead, even though it's now minuscule compared with DVD sales.

Consumers are expected to spend $16.4 billion on DVDs this year, according to Adams Media Research.

By contrast, studios could generate about $158 million from selling movies online and about $194 million from selling TV shows over the Web.
    advertisement

Studios argue that it is too early to know how much money they can make from offering entertainment on the Internet and on cell phones, iPods and other devices.

Producers are also uncertain whether consumers prefer a pay-per-view model over an advertising-supported system. They say they want the economic flexibility to experiment as consumer habits change in reaction to technology.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone catch snl, where they spoofed the industry heads on weekend update? am i the only one who noticed that the supposed executive's initials spelled out "R.A.T.?"

i haven't watched snl in some time, but decided to catch this one... started off pretty strong and tailed off as the night went on...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I think Ed's guitar tech should join them!
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You know what this means, right folks? More "unscripted" shows to fill the gap. "Reality TV" makes a return.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    anyone catch snl, where they spoofed the industry heads on weekend update? am i the only one who noticed that the supposed executive's initials spelled out "R.A.T.?"

i haven't watched snl in some time, but decided to catch this one... started off pretty strong and tailed off as the night went on...
    That was a great bit on weekend update.

It was great how he was going on about "there's no money to pay the writers. I'm a Hollywood executive and I only have about $20 million."
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    That was a great bit on weekend update.

It was great how he was going on about "there's no money to pay the writers. I'm a Hollywood executive and I only have about $20 million."
    That was funny, Amy asked how much do writers make he answered about 200k a year and she asked much do you make and he answered oh barely 20 million.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

replace them all.... its not like a fucking monkey couldnt write the shit thats been produced the last 5 years or so.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i predict that sammy gets his own cooking show now, along with co-host mike...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I already posted a thread about this two weeks ago.

I don't have a problem with this one and I support the writers this time. Some of the best TV ever made is on the air right now and that's because of great writing.

Actors = Over paid

Writers = Under compensated.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wonder how this will impact broadcasts such as WWE, or network promos, or television commercials....are those folks union writers as well?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Some of you folk may not remember the last time a writer's strike acutely effected a tv season, sometime in the eighties. At one point, one of the networks went to Australia, and filmed a bunch of old "Mission: Impossible" scripts, without changing a word. Needless to say, the result was somewhat bizarre, and equally as forgettable.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    I already posted a thread about this two weeks ago.
    Sorry, Axx. Apparently the Linkers that wrote in that thread went on strike shortly after your thread premiered.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I wonder how this will impact broadcasts such as WWE, or network promos, or television commercials....are those folks union writers as well?
    I wondered that as well. Maybe the wrestlers could write their own stuff. It's gotta be better than what's going on now.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Well it is going to affect most of my shows.

If the strike goes into the new year, 24 will be completely eliminated. Only the first 9 episodes have been written, and 8 filmed. Lost is the same way, only 8 of the 16 have been written.

There are enough episodes of the Office to go through January, and then that will be over. This show will be interesting because 4 of the main actors on the show are also writers...one of those, Steve Carell, decided not to cross the picket line Monday...

If you have any new shows which are on the bubble, it is more cost effective for the studios to cancel them than put them on hiatus. So goodbye to shows that are good but struggling, like Journeyman.

I don't watch Heroes, but they are apparently reshooting the end of the last episode of the first half of the season. If the strike goes into December, they will air the alternate ending and that will be the end of the season. If the strike is over by then, they will air the original ending, and Season 2 Part II will air next year...

I am not a big pro-Union guy, but in this particular situation it seems as if their concerns are very real, especially after they got screwed in the home video market 20 years ago. Networks don't rerun now, they show the shows online with commericals. But the writers don't get paid for that like they would a rerun. The studios need to fix this.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.05.07 at 11:32 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm with the writers as well. This strike is a byproduct of the internet revolution, the same way the DVD and home video market changed the approach to residuals. It needs to be fair.

It is a big disappointment, however. I just got into The Office a couple of months ago, and The Daily Show and Colbert Report have been regular mainstays for me. I hope it gets resolved soon.