Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

06.02.08 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Technical Issues...

I have read every review since date #1 and everyone mentions "technical issues". How does a major touring act where people are paying up to $500 a ticket let this continue? I have seen 100s of bands in stadiums to bars and have never walked away talking about technical issues other than he occasional feeback/mike squeel issue (oh and Phil Anselmo puking on stage...). I am going to the Seattle show and "only" paid $100...hope it is fixed. My buddy and I are threatening to sue if not...like every other business gets when they screw up!!! Of course the fine print says you can't.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

umm....yeah...go sue them...are you the one who sued McDonalds for hot coffee?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default tech issues....no DVD or live CD?

looks like if these technical problems persist we may not see any live release on this tour. hopefully a 2nd leg & less tech issues will solve that.

a lot of people have been wondering why DLR is not "personally" addressing each city on the current tour which may indicate that they do want to release a "live" CD & just grab the best performance/recording from any city & package it quickly - who knows
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeppVH View Post
    a lot of people have been wondering why DLR is not "personally" addressing each city on the current tour which may indicate that they do want to release a "live" CD & just grab the best performance/recording from any city & package it quickly - who knows
    Either that, or he forgets what town he is in just like he forgets the lyrics.

Romeo Delight LoveWatchingEddie's Avatar
    Favorite VH Song

Panama & ATBL
    Last Online

08.03.08 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but I'm not a musician.

They do a sound check before the show, right? Isn't that where they're supposed to find and fix any technical problems?

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWatchingEddie View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but I'm not a musician.

They do a sound check before the show, right? Isn't that where they're supposed to find and fix any technical problems?
    Yeah, but Eddie has the last say about everything. He probably tells them to make certain adjustments (too much bass, too much treble, turn the monitors up/down, turn the guitar up, etc.). Then when it sounds like shit due to his unorthodox demands, he blames the techs.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    Either that, or he forgets what town he is in just like he forgets the lyrics.
    that wouldn't surprize me @ all! but Dave is singing great this tour & that's all that matters. just wish EVH would ditch the cable & go wireless.

watching YouTube, he gets tangled up on this monstrous pedal board during ATBL, instead of letting the G chord ring, he takes his left hand off the neck 2 untangle the chord! sounds sloppy & horrible.

EVH - go wireless, use the catwalk, may b just 4 ur solo - PLEASE!!
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could it be that since the tour was postponed and then reinitiated when a lot of other major acts are already touring that they had to scrap the bottom of the barrel for techs? Could it be that the new equipment that Edward is using still has a lot of bugs to work out when used in concert? Could it be that since Edward had a falling out with Lonnie, he is dealing with someone brought in at the last minute who has a hard time comprehending what it is he wants and expects and has difficulty communicating it? There could be a myriad of reasons why things are not going smoothly.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you lose alot of sound/tone with wireless....not to mention the interference will open another door for Ed to obsess about...not a good idea...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edson View Post
    you lose alot of sound/tone with wireless....not to mention the interference will open another door for Ed to obsess about...not a good idea...
    every tour up till '98 & there's many boots out there, his tone was great when wireless. i'd rather see EVH play hassle free than him "knowing" his tone has 2 sacrifice a little if going wireless.

if EVH is a perfectionist & his theory is "keep it simple", he's forgotten about both.

technically speaking ur correct about going wireless in ur post but Eddie should b concentrating on ripping it up, not dicking around all nite w/ his cable.
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.24.11 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Baffled by sound problems

Quote Originally Posted by #5fairwarning View Post
    I have read every review since date #1 and everyone mentions "technical issues". How does a major touring act where people are paying up to $500 a ticket let this continue? I have seen 100s of bands in stadiums to bars and have never walked away talking about technical issues other than he occasional feeback/mike squeel issue (oh and Phil Anselmo puking on stage...). I am going to the Seattle show and "only" paid $100...hope it is fixed. My buddy and I are threatening to sue if not...like every other business gets when they screw up!!! Of course the fine print says you can't.

You are absolutely right. I am completely baffled. How could a band this big, sold out every nite not get the sound right? I could see 1 or 2 off nites, but at this point it seems like there are problems every nite! I've been to about 10 rock shows this year, most of them sounded good or superb. The first VH show in Greensboro sounded excellent from the 12th row. But a friend told me it sounded like fuzz from where she was sitting a bit further back & I didn't believe her. I've heard this a lot now where there is a big difference in sound by where people are sitting. I understand that there can be "sweet" spots sometimes, but, come on, this is ridicoulous! The VH show I just saw in DC was 1 of the worst sounding rock shows I've ever been to & I was 10 rows back on the floor! How are you supposed to figure out where to sit to get good sound? Also, the opener sounded great, so I don't think it was the venue. Thank god they make up for it in performance.
    By no means am I giving up on VH live, but for the love of god, get the damn sound right!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would gladly sacrifice tone quality for Eddie playing the songs correctly. He's used wireless all the way through the Balance tour and sounded awesome.

To me, it sounds like he's getting a little lazy. It seems that he's relying on stupid sound effects (not digital sound effects....but more feedback, tapping on the back of the guitar and crazy harmonics) and less on his technical know-how.

The guy is a technical god, but he sure isn't playing like it.

He needs to live up to his own standard.
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigDBoy View Post
    I would gladly sacrifice tone quality for Eddie playing the songs correctly. He's used wireless all the way through the Balance tour and sounded awesome.

To me, it sounds like he's getting a little lazy. It seems that he's relying on stupid sound effects (not digital sound effects....but more feedback, tapping on the back of the guitar and crazy harmonics) and less on his technical know-how.

The guy is a technical god, but he sure isn't playing like it.

He needs to live up to his own standard.
    May b not lazy but instead of being picture perfect he's improving & "going for it" more & personally his improvising is really bad now. that's due to age & who knows, he's gone thru chemo & of course lots of drug abuse.

EVH can't b lazy, he's running around the stage like a mad man BUT he's known for "moving forward" - he doesn't like repeating himself & it shows on basic leads. He's sometimes all over the place in "I'll Wait."

we hold EVH w/ such high praise & standards that we don't consider his age & his progression in playing. he's not in2 all the 80's guitar hero stuff anymore.

& let's face, when he's having tech issues, it completely throws his game off.

when he's on, EVH still the best. let's hope they can nix all these tech issues & we get a nice live release - SOON
    Last edited by JeppVH; 11.04.07 at 06:05 PM.
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

We have a thread called Ed tech issues. Post this in that thread.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.