Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Default Before and After

Ok, so you've sat at home, waiting for VH to come to your neck of the woods and you've watched the Videos on YouTube and downloaded a few bootlegs. You've seen the infamous G-boro Jump video and you've heard some other mistakes and miscues. You begin to worry that it might not be as good as some say. Then you finally go see the show. Question: For those of you who've been now...How much better was it actually seeing the show than watching it on the PC? Was it an incredible difference? Was it about what you thought it would be (No different)? Was the show itself worse than the videos?
    Last edited by jimmyw; 11.02.07 at 03:10 PM.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

For me, it's always better live. Although, for viewing, the videos were better. Especially, if they were taken up close.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.03.08 @ 06:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In all honesty I wish I hadn't watched and listened to as much as I did before I went. It took away a lot of the suprises...I should have known!!! . Watching it on you tube just doesn't compare to real thing though. The emotion of the band members and the crowd response are pretty difficult to capture.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

If the crowd has energy, nothing can top standing among 20,000 people singing every lyric, exchanging high fives, and shaking the floor. Every show sounds better live while you're actually there--whether it really is or not.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Totally different when it's live. You not only hear it, you feel it. And if their music has been a part of your life for as many years as it has been in mine, add goosebumps to the list as well. ;-)

Chucker
    "Edward is playing like a motherfucker tonight!" - DLR 10/03/2007

"Now remember, these are youtube video clips so don't expect it to look like "Star Wars" on your 70 inch plasma tv." - Hain23x

"If you want to be a true artist, then make your music and don't even release it." - EVH 1995

"Forward Movement. Not to accomplish anything in particular because that would suggest an end. It's the doing I crave." - DLR 1981

"Panty-Bra! Panty-Bra-ha, oh, oh, oh, oh!" - A friend's childhood interpretation of "Panama."

Last Online

07.29.16 @ 03:28 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 22 Posts

Can't beat it live. The videos are nice, but always seem to fail in capturing all the aspects of the sound and often come out a bit more muddy that it was live for me. When I saw VH in Cleveland the sound was perfect (at least where I was sitting). The videos (especially the Philly DVD) are GREAT, but you just can't beat being there.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

There is no comparison! VH live is such a great experience. NO video or PC you tube experience can compare.

I went to Charlotte and was blown away. Yes I like the DVDs and you tube stuff but go to a show!

THEY FREAKIN ROCK!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

The thread does bring up an interesting point. It did take a while for folks to admit that the 04' tour wasn't up to par. I can remember reading reviews where someone said Ed was off and then someone else would say bullshit.

Although it sounds like this is nothing like the 04' gate.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.26.12 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Night & day for me. The Youtube just does not compare to live. Compare it to watching a video of a roller coaster as opposed to actually riding on one...you get the general idea, but don't feel the sensations of the ride. Trust me, it's all high energy once the curtain opens & it's a helluva ride from start to finish.

Last Online

11.29.17 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    The thread does bring up an interesting point. It did take a while for folks to admit that the 04' tour wasn't up to par. I can remember reading reviews where someone said Ed was off and then someone else would say bullshit.

Although it sounds like this is nothing like the 04' gate.
    I think part of the reaon for that was that it had been so long since they had toured with Sam or Dave, and paople just wanted it to be great, and they tried t convince themselves that it was.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob5150 View Post
    I think part of the reaon for that was that it had been so long since they had toured with Sam or Dave, and paople just wanted it to be great, and they tried t convince themselves that it was.
    That might have been the case for 2004 but not with this tour. They seem really happy to be on stage together and the music (for the most part) is excellent. Sure there are a few low points but that's with every band who tours. Ups and downs. But this 2007 tour is a dream come true for me as a die hard CVH fan.

If one chooses not to go to the 2007 VH show...it's really your loss.
    Last edited by LeftyVanHalen; 11.03.07 at 09:18 AM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Listened to all the released bootlegs before the NJ show, and though most of the surprise was gone it's completely a different experience to be there. Actually, the bootlegs kind of helped fill in the gaps caused by the awful sound.
    Last edited by tap1966; 11.04.07 at 12:48 PM. Reason: too many 'actually's
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Crappy You Tube clips

First of, I wish people would NOT post terrible 12 second cellphone vid clips w/ absolutely horrible sound quality. There's no point trying 2 watch.

I spoiled myslef b4 both Toronto shows due to YouTube & listening to boots. BUT, when you hit the show w/ 7 buddy's & ur nice & lubricated w/ beer & Jack Daniel's & not to mention floors: row 19 middle of the catwalk towards EVH -

NOTHING can compare to finally attending a Van Halen concert w/ Diamond Dave & Eddie! DLR is a true entertainer & he showcased that in Toronto.

Dave's roundhouse kick & Eddie jumping off the drum riser to end Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love was just 1 of MANY highlites that can only b experienced @ the show!
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    If the crowd has energy, nothing can top standing among 20,000 people singing every lyric, exchanging high fives, and shaking the floor. Every show sounds better live while you're actually there--whether it really is or not.
    Absolutely.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Absolutely.
    So go and have fun, man. Seriously. It's Van Halen. If they suck the particular night you see them, they just do. You can bitch about it here for years and years to come and I'll personally offer a permanent apology in my siganture for as long as I'm on the Links. C'mon. Who's my buddy?<pinching Brett's ears> Come onnnnn....<jimmyw gives Brett a noogie>
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable