Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Opinions On A Hardtail (wolfgang)

Looking into buying a Wolfgang hardtail. Any thoughts pro or con?
    It would be my first Wolfgang, so should I go for one with a Floyd or this?
    I've had other guitars with floyd's, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'm having a hard time deciding.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

go for it buddy...they sound better than a les paul (or atleast as good) they're as easy to play as a strat, they're light, and not as common as the aformentioned les paul, strat or whatever else is about thats similar...as long as u get a decent one that is.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go with the hardtail! More sustain than a Floyd. You will not be sorry. I love my ivory hard-tail standard. Best of luck to you!
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

My experience with hardtails is that you get the same big bass that you achieve with a blocked stainless steel Floyd Rose, but not as much "obnoxious trebley snap". Which, to me, is a good thing.

I say do it.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Not to mention stoptails are usually a couple hundred dollars less.
    \m/ VH \m/

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dance The Night Away View Post
    Not to mention stoptails are usually a couple hundred dollars less.
    Great guitar. I've had one for 7 years, actually won it in a raffle at my local music store. I was just a little bummed at first that it wasn't a trem version, but after a few gigs, it was obvious it was a very powerful guitar. And it cost me a dollar for the raffle ticket. Best deal ever.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ive been looking for a black stoptail special. havnt seen any on ebay for awhile.

id have the nut recut and string it with .56 s tuned to drop B . play it thruogh my 5150 head,

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm super chunk for days.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

If you don't use a Floyd very much and could potentially get annoyed with the constant maintenaince one requires, go for the stop tail.

I didn't think there'd be that much difference in tone when I bought my first Wolfie stop tail (my sixth overall), but there was a HUGE difference in tone, sustain, and harmonics that was obvious right away. I think the Floyd Wolfs have great sustain; but the hard tail Wolfs have AMAZING sustain.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Chris' Guitars

http://www.chrisguitars.com/electric.html

Scroll down about three-quarters of the way, and you'll see the Wolfgangs listed. There are a couple of hard tail sunburst solid basswood Wolfgang Specials and an amber flame top Standard.

I've bought a couple of guitars from Chris (including one Wolfgang). He's a great guy--slow on email sometimes, but very trustworthy.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    If you don't use a Floyd very much and could potentially get annoyed with the constant maintenaince one requires, go for the stop tail.

I didn't think there'd be that much difference in tone when I bought my first Wolfie stop tail (my sixth overall), but there was a HUGE difference in tone, sustain, and harmonics that was obvious right away. I think the Floyd Wolfs have great sustain; but the hard tail Wolfs have AMAZING sustain.
    They do. My brother plays the Wolf now, I play my Strat, mainly because it's a little more versatile for the cover tunes we play(and it has a trem) and we've just become comfortable with that arrangement, but my amp is a Mesa Road King. It solid cooks with the Strat but I have to MAJORLY reset all the eq if I ever switch and play the hardtail Wolf through that amp. It will sustain for days and days. Hell, it even kills through my little Marshall MG practice amp.
    Last edited by jimmyw; 11.02.07 at 09:44 PM. Reason: I spelled "practice" wrong.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

personally, i can't recommend a stop-tail at all.

an electric must have a locking nut system to stay in tune properly - it's about total control over the string width.

i would say get one with the stop-tail tremolo system and install a real floyd on it. then if you don't use the tremolo bar just take the bar off and play. you get the same sustain and sound plus the technology associated with a locking system. you get all the control over string length plus the flexibility to actually use the tremolo system should the inspiration strike.

when you think of music think like a musician. when you think of guitars think like an engineer.

just my 2 cents.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh as for versatility, what i need to find out is if the humbuckers the wolfs come with can be tapped.

i love being able to mix and match humbucker and single coil sounds in the same instrument.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't think they were made to be tapped. The new HP's are, though.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post
    personally, i can't recommend a stop-tail at all.

an electric must have a locking nut system to stay in tune properly - it's about total control over the string width.

i would say get one with the stop-tail tremolo system and install a real floyd on it. then if you don't use the tremolo bar just take the bar off and play. you get the same sustain and sound plus the technology associated with a locking system. you get all the control over string length plus the flexibility to actually use the tremolo system should the inspiration strike.

when you think of music think like a musician. when you think of guitars think like an engineer.

just my 2 cents.
    Er....Wow. Thats alot of work to go thru. You must do alot of guitar work to recommend that option. and I don't understand how cutting a chunk of wood out of a guitar body can help the sustain at all. Oh well, if that's your thing, go for it.

- DLR 2012

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    Don't think they were made to be tapped. The new HP's are, though.
    I remember back a few years ago, there were several Wolfgangs on eBay from time to time that supposedly had been tapped. Whether they sounded good or not, I dunno, but it seemed like a fad for awhile.

- DLR 2012