Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who Makes the Best EVH Replica/Kit

i know there are a few companies selling replica kits, anyone have a favourite company that they've bought from? i'm looking to pic one up now that the canadian dollar is rockin'.

Brian

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've only really dealt with one ... www.frankenstraat.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

That's pretty awesome. How hard was it to put together? Is it something that a college graduate can do, or something a person familiar with inner and out workings of guitars must do?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To put one together like that you have to be very talented, like
    a brain scientist.

Last Online

12.07.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its the painting that requires the skill. Putting it together is not too difficult. I've thought about doing a replica like that before, but it takes a lot of time and patience, and the correct weather if you don't have a climate controlled area for the painting/drying. Hey Dino, wasn't that the guitar james used for that 5150 "how to" kinda post? Thats seriously the best diy clearcoat I have ever seen, not to mention on a 5150 replica.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would have to go with frankenstraat also. i mean we could ask chip ellis where he got his pics???? seriously though there the best i have seen. the paint job is up to you or your local paint guy.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

There is also meanstreetguitars.com. I have no hands-on experience with their product, but from the website, the Unchained model looks pretty good. The other models aren't exactly accurate, but the Unchained looks pretty true to the original. Before I bought my Art Series, I priced an Unchained Custom with the relic'd 5150 paintjob, and it was going to cost $945. The wait time on it is about 3 months. You have to give him $200 up front to build it, and pay him the rest when it is finished. You can get an Unchained model without the custom paintjob for under $600 and do the painting yourself.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have a Meanstreet Guitars Unchained? I have contacted Mitch about one, but he says he can't supply the kits or built guitars until at least January 2008. I'm in Australia, so I want to be sure about the product. The EBMM copies he makes are about $300 in kit form (no pickups) so if the unchained is the same, should be worth it.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Anyone have a Meanstreet Guitars Unchained? I have contacted Mitch about one, but he says he can't supply the kits or built guitars until at least January 2008. I'm in Australia, so I want to be sure about the product. The EBMM copies he makes are about $300 in kit form (no pickups) so if the unchained is the same, should be worth it.
    I just got an "Evolution" kit from Mitchel. The kit was everything except the pickup. I got a white body/ black pick guard and a maple neck. I'm going to add black stripes to it (I'll post some pics when I'm done). Everything in the kit is great, except the back of the neck is a little rough (the site states the pieces have some blemishes) I hope to sand those out. But for $325 I am pleased.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

For my money Divebomb Inc was the best among the ones I contact from here...Framkenstraat, Meanstreets and Divebomb.

Kyle was really responsive to my requests and always answered his email and phone.

I bought a Monster Kit fully assembled by him and painted black. I did the rest of the Frankie painting and relic'ing. I wish I could post photos but I dont belong to a site to do it. It's a Frankie with the banana Kramer headstock (painted) and has all the details!

If you want a really top notch job go to Divebomb. If someone can post my photos...I will be glad to send em over.

Thanks

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm almost thinking that a replica-makers list should be a sticky. I'm honestly surprised at how many there are right now, too. I've bookmarked at least six sites with EVH-style guitar parts.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    For my money Divebomb Inc was the best among the ones I contact from here...Framkenstraat, Meanstreets and Divebomb.

Kyle was really responsive to my requests and always answered his email and phone.

I bought a Monster Kit fully assembled by him and painted black. I did the rest of the Frankie painting and relic'ing. I wish I could post photos but I dont belong to a site to do it. It's a Frankie with the banana Kramer headstock (painted) and has all the details!

If you want a really top notch job go to Divebomb. If someone can post my photos...I will be glad to send em over.

Thanks

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.05.07 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I felt I could add my two cents to this thread as I have had experience with all 3 builders mentioned Meanstreet, Frankenstraat and Divebombinc.
    I have had a great respect for Dino's finishing work ever since I seen it here:

http://classicvanhalen.com/forum/sho...t=11159&page=4

I believe that all the builders mentioned do quality work, but I will say from a consumer/player point of view that Kyle's (Divebomb) can speak in "feel and tone", in addition all of his kits are handmade!!! from the raw wood to replicate every single detail you can think of, from the wood he uses to every single known EVH dimension. In other words they are not pre-packaged kits or parts.

Personally what influenced my decsion is that I have been playing an Ibanez Floral Patteren Jem (Steve Vai model) for 15 years, I love the neck it is wide (very similar to a classical) unfinished and very thin it has a very addictive feel. I wanted to have an EVH Frankenstien replica from the 1984 era (Kramer Beak Birdseye) but with the dimensions (width and thickness) of the Jem neck. Kyle was the only builder who had no problem with this request. (Yes I did own one of the other builders guitars mentioned.....and sold it)

I feel this is important as most of us purchasing a replica do in fact play and are not looking to just hang the guitar on the wall. As such we have all become acustomed to certain models, be it weight,wood,feel etc. so it is very refreshing to talk to a builder who can understand guitar player language (for lack of a better term) and translate it to luither language.

What Kyle custom build for me as a kit....Well here is an excert of the email I sent to Kyle after I recieved it:

"although feel is very subjective, I have never played a guitar that was so responsive in all my life. It is effortless to play, I can hit pinch harmonics almost anywhere on the neck...the experience is beyond words."

I know when I was in the market no one really gave their thoughts or views on specfic builders (very frustrating) and although I won't bad mouth other builders, I have no problem on giving my insight on Kyle of Divebombinc.com

If you read this Kyle....thanks again your the best!!!

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow, that really helps, and i agree, a sticky on replica/kit makers would be a great idea.

Brian

Favorite VH Album

any from 1976 - 1993
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

07.28.17 @ 09:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am actually looking for someone to make me a calssic Frankenstien

can anyone help?