Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Van Halens houses in Pasadena and Studio City

A few years ago while attending the NAMM show in Anaheim, I ran into a guy from the Van Halen museum in Pasedena. I learned about him from the Inside magazine. At the time had a VH museum and did amp repairs. He claimed to have Ed's first Teisco and was a wealth of knowledge.

After the show, we met him at his shop and got the full tour. Guitars that belonged to Chris Holmes, many cool amps and items that he collected through the years. Needless to say, yours truly was in heaven and it was like Disneyland.

He then took us over to Ed and Al's old house. I was speechless, I imagined the boys coming and going thru the years. I wondered if that was the same door knob that the hands that played Eruption turned. We went around back and drove down the alley and a shed was there. I wondered if they rehearsed and played back in that little house.

Is this where the black and white guitar received its paint jobs? Did the explorer get painted here too? And which bedroom belonged to Ed? Surely this is where all of those gems were penned. This is the house where he developed the style of guitar that changed the face of Rock Guitar.

Well my "normal" friends were getting restless so it was of to the Roth mansion. The house Dave grew up in was the coolest house. He lived like a Rock Star before he ever made it. When you arrive at Dave’s family home, it blows you away. It takes up an entire block and has its own dark forest.

We drove by and did not stay long, just looked at it and shook our heads. There must be a lot of money in ophthalmology because this place was off the hook. As we drove away there were no more houses on the block, our friend said all of the trees belonged to the Roth’s.

Another time I was visiting a good friend that lives in Studio City. He is one of LA's first call studio guitarists. My wife and son and I were visiting him and his wife and he told me he could show me Ed's house. Well I begged to go over there right that minute. He had met Ed several times with Dwiezel and knew how to get there.

Well we came around this corner and all we could see was a long driveway and this upper portion of a house with a huge stained glass window. My friend was uneasy as he is one of Ed' neighbors and did not want to intrude. Well as soon as we got back to his house, my son and I headed right back to investigate. We gawked out front for a few minutes and then left.

What a cool thing it was to see those historic places where basically all of VH's music has developed. I kind of wish I would have known about the house on Los Lunas when I was a kid, it would have been cool to drive over there and at least meet Mr. and Mrs. Van Halen. If you are ever in LA, I would recommend that tour over the other Star Tours any day.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

stalker

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

there's a joke about germans in there somewhere with dwiezel but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:09 AM
    Liked 2,212 Times in 1,116 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah it does sound a little stalker-ish when I read it, but I would have done the same thing
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

great read. great experience.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

actually...after another read it sounds like one of those fan-fiction novellas where people write erotic stories about their fantasy encounters with characters from Friends or Star Trek...

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Dude, obsessed much?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    actually...after another read it sounds like one of those fan-fiction novellas where people write erotic stories about their fantasy encounters with characters from Friends or Star Trek...
    I take it you've read one?

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Chris Farley has been reincarnated.

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I take it you've read one?
    hahaha....not really but I know they exist...

though I did read this one dude's insane fan-fiction about Roy Orbison...all of his stories involved plastic wrap...either wrapping roy orbison in cling wrap or him being wrapped in cling wrap by orbison...very strange stuff...

those lines about "this is the knob that was turned by the hands that played eruption" sounded obsessed in the very same way...

oh and just in case no one believes me about the orbison stories...here's a link:

http://www.michaelkelly.fsnet.co.uk/karl.htm

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What a little cutie

That little girl is precious, I am sure when she grows out of the baby fat she will look stunning.

I am in no way a stalker either, I just enjoyed seeing those sacred spots. If you guys were in the area, I am sure you would drive by.

So are all the people that go on tours of the Stars homes stalkers?
    Are the people that visit Mozarts home and the Cavern club stalkers?

Someone should buy the old VH home on Los Lunas and turn it into a bed and breakfast. I would give anything to see the inside of that house.

And as far as the door knob, it's just a reflection. Why do some try and make every post a dig? I was just reflecting about the experience. I guess I am sentimental about Ed's playing and what it meant to me growing up.

All of this bickering and comparing singers has no interest to me. I like both eras, even the Gary era. The playing and musicianship is all that matters to me. Petty arguing about things no one except the band can change do not interest me. I am only concerened with the music and gear and where it was created from a historical viewpoint.
    Last edited by bosstone.net; 11.01.07 at 12:57 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    though I did read this one dude's insane fan-fiction about Roy Orbison...all of his stories involved plastic wrap...either wrapping roy orbison in cling wrap or him being wrapped in cling wrap by orbison...very strange stuff...
    **steps away very quietly**

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    That little girl is precious, I am sure when she grows out of the baby fat she will look stunning.

I am in no way a stalker either, I just enjoyed seeing those sacred spots. If you guys were in the area, I am sure you would drive by.

So are all the people that go on tours of the Stars homes stalkers?
    Are the people that visit Mozarts home and the Cavern club stalkers?

Someone should buy the old VH home on Los Lunas and turn it into a bed and breakfast. I would give anything to see the inside of that house.

And as far as the door knob, it's just a reflection. Why do some try and make every post a dig? I was just reflecting about the experience. I guess I am sentimental about Ed's playing and what it meant to me growing up.

All of this bickering and comparing singers has no interest to me. I like both eras, even the Gary era. The playing and musicianship is all that matters to me. Petty arguing about things no one except the band can change do not interest me. I am only concerened with the music and gear and where it was created from a historical viewpoint.

It's one thing to drive by a stars home to see how fancy or nice it is. It is also one thing to tour a home that is open to the public. However, it is another to call the VH's childhood home a sacred spot and to ponder what went on inside sheds in an alley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Dude, I find your tour lacking. What about Claudio's the garage where Sam got Ed's phone number? PCC City College where Alex and Mike were taking jazz theory classes together? Long Beach City College where EVH won the piano competition? Ralphs on Ventura Blvd where Ed use to buy Smoking Loon?

You need to go back!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

what about starting a Van Halen reality tour and letting this guy drive the bus?

Eat Us and Smile!