Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default *** Reviews 11/1 Washington, D.C. ***

Reviews only. All other posts will be deleted.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.24.11 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from the show. I had 10th row near the ramp- great seats! I had a bunch of midgets around me so the view was perfect. This was my second show of the tour, Greensboro was first. I have got to say that this show was simply not as good overall. Biggest problem was the sound. Greensboro was absolutely perfect but tonite it sounded very fuzzy & flat. The other 2 people with me agreed. Second big difference I noticed was the crowd. It's not that they weren't into it, but in Greensboro it seemed like every person was going nuts from first second to last. Whereas this show, I saw a large number of people just standing there like dead fish. I didn't feel that same electicity & overall sense of urgency coming from the performance tonite. In no way was it a bad show- the band did have good energy & seemed to have fun. They were looser than Greensboro & did change a few things up( not the setlist). For me, Eddie's solo was the highlite. It was better than GBoro. I don't know the particulars like others will know on this forum, but Eruption seemed longer & the sound was just perfect. He started off sitting this time & overall it just felt more emotional & spontaneous. I looked over at my wife who doesn't usually get excited about these things & her mouth was wide open in awe. We all were in agreement that it was the best part of the show. It alone was worth the price of admission. Dave did sound superb as well and his shtick was familiar, but intact, but he only circled the ramp 3x total this time as opposed to 7-8x at GB. He didn't do it during ICM, but did tell his little stories.He also missed a lot more lines than GB. In fact, he missed entire verses at times. Something weird seemed to happen with him at the end of I'll Wait also- he just stopped singing & looked like something was wrong. Wolfie seemed a bit more relaxed, he did 1 circle & had more solos. I think they are trusting him more. But a lot of the time, he still just stands there with no stage presence. I thought the Drum solo was more entertaining this time also, but can't say for sure if it was any different.
    I'm sure the others will be better with details. Bottom line: Van Halen puts on an awesome show, but this 1 was not one of the best on this tour.
    Last edited by DLRoth; 11.01.07 at 09:24 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I swore I wasn't going to go, but I broke down. Had 3rd row center between the stage and walk-ramp. Great show. Missed Mikey. Valerie was there with her new boyfriend on Wolfgang's side. She walked out during EVH's solo and then came back for the finale. Dave was incredible - amazed at how good he still is. Brett is right - Wolfgang does not seem to play everything. EVH's solo seemed tried - Cathedral was kinda poor. Didn't think his performance was that much better than 2004. 1998 was better.

This was all about Dave. He definitely brings something that Sammy couldn't. No knock - loved both versions - but Dave is amazing. I feel like I'm back in high school after seeing EVH and Dave together.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had very bad seats, top of the bowl, almost dead center....but had a good view of the entire arena, crowd and big screen....which is crystal clear.....

I found the mix to be a little crappy from my location and really lacked a lot of bass. Ed's guitar didn't quite "cut" thru some of the stuff....but I think that was because of my location....

For the most part...I enjoyed the show. My section sat for the whole show....very odd...so I rocked out in my seat...first time ever at a VH concert. I spent some time looking around the arena....all were standing in the lower sections, but few were really rockin' out like in past years....no real electricity....no deafining chants from the crowd....In 2004, when they played Unchained....the "pop" from the crowd almost blew the roof off the joint....tonite, not much from people...even the "pit" looked pretty tame.

DLR sang very well....he really struggled at the end of "I'll Wait"....which for the record sucks live....Ed nailed the solo, but other than that...a complete waste. I don't care for Dave's "thing" live....didn't like it 20 years ago and didn't dig in tonite....blow up Microphones, Sailor Hats, Top Hats, Chains for Wolfie.....lame o.....when he threw on the Sailor hat....total Love Boat.....he's just so damn gay...gayer than Cherone....Too many breaks in tunes....get on with it.

Wolfie....maybe the worst "tone" I've heard from a bass. Not sure what happened to having a nice round, fat bottom....but the kid's got some nasty shit going. On "So this is Love" he was jammin' the intro.....horrible...sounded like he had some sort of distortion pedal going.

Alex...whatever....he looked very tired tonite...same elements as every other tour....yawn.

Ed. He was sober and played well at times. His "solo" spot was complete garbage....the worst I've ever heard if you throw out the 2004 SustainerFest......He's just fuckin' around up there....Cathedral had issues...he couldn't quite get the swells down with the delay....like not enough sustain out of the swells.....He played 316....just nothing new really. I dig the new tone.

Overall as a band....they're tight, but on the uptempo stuff....forget about it. Hot For Teacher is a fuckin' trainwreck.....too much boogie. I'm the One, Ice Cream Man....something is just wrong....might be my mix, but others I was with confirmed HFT sucked.

RWTD...awesome. Unchained....killer. Little Dreamer....great.....IT ALL DIDN'T BLOW!

At this point, I'm done with VH....I said my goodbyes tonite....I liked the show and give it a C........more on my scoring system later, but unless there's new tunes....I'm done. The ride's been fun, but at some point you have to get off a train to nowhere.....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

Maybe I went to a different show last night, but I thought they were dead on. My seats were right next to the mixing board on the floor, so that is usually a spot that is going to sound the best.

I guess if you don't like Dave you never will like anything he does, but he is keeping the schtick to a minimum, I thought he was awesome, sang great, best I have heard him live I believe. His interactions with Ed and Wolfie were great, the chain thing is lame, but damn, if that really bothers people that much I don't get how people got into VH to begin with.

I like how Ed is adding some riffs into songs, one thing I didn't like by him however was that he changed the solo on one of the songs where it wasn't even recognizable to the original solo, I believe it was HFT. But hey, it's their songs, they can do what they want with em.

I don't know, but everyone in my section was rocking out, air guitaring, fist pumping.

Absolutely great show, not going to say it was the best show I have ever seen, because they all start kind of blending in together, but they were tight and having fun up there and they put on a great show for 2 hours and 15 minutes last night.

I got my moneys worth, which unfortunately I haven't felt each time I go to a VH show, but last night I did and more.

Higlights for me:

Romeo Delight - sounds killer, much heavier than the album
    Unchained
    Little Dreamer - Dave was great and I think that it one of Ed's best solos
    EWS

But as posted in other reviews, I agree that closing with Jump is a little anti-climatic and if I remember correctly they only do one song after Ed's solo before the encore and then finishing; the solo is too close to the end of the show.

Guy in our group went to the Charlotte show and he thought they were better here, so I guess different strokes for different folks, but again I thought they were dead on and that is the best performance I have seen from Dave since the EEAS tour.

Kudos to the band from me, I'd go see them again if they come back through on their second leg.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

I'm sorry, what was that? What did you say? I can't hear you because my ears are STILL ringing! And believe me that is not a bad thing. Well, it's the day after the mighty Van Halen train rolled though D.C. and what a train it was! My buddy and I got the 5-star tickets and were 2nd row center! We were practically within arms reach of the band. What a fucking show! First off, you can completely forget about any doubts you might have had because of one apparent off night in K.C. This show was absolutely fucking awesome from top to bottom. NO tension whatsoever between any of the band members, NO technical problems. As a matter of fact, and of course I fully realize that the 2004 tour started off the same way, but being in the second row my buddy and I could see every little detail with the band interaction, and if you didn't know any better you'd swear they were all lifelong best friends. I don't think Dave or even Eddie for that matter wiped the smiles off their faces for one second of the show! Several high fives and hugs between Dave and Eddie and even Wolfie. The only negative for me, as much as it saddens me to say it, would be that Eddie is just not quite Eddie anymore as far as his playing. Now don't get me wrong, he still plays mostly great on the songs, but his guitar solo is just nowhere near as sharp as it used to be. It reminded me a lot of the 2004 tour, when it first became sloppy. Most of it, as stated by some others, was just him making noises. And once again, for some reason, he just couldn't get Cathedral going right it seemed. BUT, trust me any true VH fan will love this show. There's definitely something special about hearing all those classic songs live after so many years. Dave's voice is better than it has been it a long, long time. And the energy is just awesome. It has been such a long time coming, and it was WELL worth the wait. Another added bonus was at one point looking over to my left as my buddy pointed out that about 10 feet away was Valerie and her new boyfriend and another couple who were with them! They also looked like they were having a great time. Valerie was all smiles, and all four of them were rocking out all night. So overall, it was an incredible night! And JimmyG don't think I forgot about you! It was really cool meeting you and hanging out at the Turtle before the show, hope you're girlfriend made it down there alright! Oh, and Stacey if you're reading this, that red and black striped bra will always rule!
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Washington fucking rocked, it was great.

Here's some pictures I'll post more in a couple days

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/album437

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

changes every day
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crazy Levi- can you please answer my post to you above. Im debating if I should sell and get better seats

Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 2
    Favorite VH Song

way too many.....
    Last Online

10.06.13 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another review-long-time fan, first Van Halen concert

Well, I wouldn't care if they came out and sang from the phone book. My best friend of damn near 30 years (who intro'd me to VH) and I were 11th row, right up against the ramp. In fact, I must have been about 3 feet from crazy levi, because his pictures look like the same ones on my camera! I thought they were unbelievable!

We loved this show. I thought the sound quality was good, but not superior. How much of that is the venues fault I have no idea. But after all, who fucking cares! It's Van Fucking Halen. Dave is, well, Dave, Eddie looks fantastic, and we thought Wolfie was just great. He is 16 years old, people! Could anyone else go out at that age and perform in front of those crowds? I know I couldn't!

Everyone around us was absolutely great! What a great nite. We had a wonderful time and couldn't believe we were finally seeing the band of or youth! What an awesome show!

And we both thought Eddie's solo spot was unreal. To come over and sit on the steps and connect with the audience (maybe because we were within 15 feet of him) was beyond belief! Maybe because it was our first show (won't be the last, I can assure you!) we loved it! Thanks to Eddie, Dave, Alex and Wolfie for one of the best concerts ever!

PS-anybody got tickets to sell? To anyplace?
    Might have to do a road trip.....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone catch Dave sticking some dudes cell phone down his pants.....nice.

Didn't Ed snap an E string on a tune....Atomic Punk maybe?

Anyone else think Wolfie's tone is complete shit?

Anyone else wonder why Ed had his flanger on for the first part of Unchained....rather than just for the "chugs" on the Dropped-D...really took the punch away.

Anyone like "I'll Wait"...I couldn't even hear the guitar part.

Anyone think Cradle Will Rock was missing something on the bottome end....I did love the way it ended....one more little...chu, chu, chu....

Anyone not like Ed's new tone....I thought his shit sounded pretty good....I do miss the Balance sound, but his new shit is way better than the 3 era or 2004 tour....

Anyone else think HFT was a trainwreck?

Does anyone like the way Dave changes up his cadence with the lyrics....

Does anyone here consider last night to be the best show you've ever seen of VH.....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.03.07 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was next to the mixing board, and I thought the sound mix was a bit weak as well. Crowd energy was good, but it's hard for people to really get into it if it doesn't sound clear. The sound was good on the individual solos, but was inconsistent at other times. Vocals and guitar were frequently too high or too low in the mix, or just muddy.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_rage View Post
    I was next to the mixing board, and I thought the sound mix was a bit weak as well. Crowd energy was good, but it's hard for people to really get into it if it doesn't sound clear. The sound was good on the individual solos, but was inconsistent at other times. Vocals and guitar were frequently too high or too low in the mix, or just muddy.
    i agree thound wasnt too hot. A problem at this venue. The band was great. 3rd show for me each has been better than the last.

On Fire
    Last Online

07.09.12 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From my vantage point high above Ed's side of the stage, I watched as David Lee Roth slithered up to his position at the top of the ramp, back behind the curtain. The house lights were down, so I could only make out his silouhette as he went through his last minute preparations. Surely after 30-plus years of playing rock's most exciting quarterback, the game time ritual be routine if not monotonous by now. There was Dave, standing in the darkness hidden from the crowd , hopping up and down and shadowboxing like a fighter standing in his corner awaiting his announced entry into the ring. After all these years of serving up white-hot rock & roll in it's purest form to millions and millions of euphoric fans, David Lee Roth was still being filled with pre-show adrenaline and channeling the swelling energy of the crowd as Ed's thunderous guitar began to tear through the arena. What struck me about this moment was it was not part of his act. Most of the crowd could not see this as he was still behind the curtain. Dave was truly pumped and at that moment I knew we were in for a treat.

This moment has probably been my most often-recurring daydream going back to my days as a seven year-old completely consumed by Van Halen courtesy of my best friend's boom box. He had recently brought home 1984 and I would never the same. I remember we spent that summer taking turns trying to do flying splits off of my front porch and pretending that we were there watching our superheroes. I also remember seeing footage of the 1986 tour on MTV and imagining what could have been. As years passed, the legend of classic Van Halen had grown to mythical proportions in my mind. I scoured the internet for footage of that lineup just to get a small taste of what it must have felt like to feel that mighty noise in the flesh. I spent many hours of my life visiting the fan sites like slawterhouse and VHLinks hoping to grab a shred of hope that one day I might get my chance.

They say that patience is a minor form of despair disguised as a virtue. Van Halen fans have most certainly driven through despair more than once on this long and torturous road. I'm pleased to say that after waiting more than two thirds of my life for this event, patience does indeed payoff. It paid off for me when I heard Dave's voice singing the opening lines of "You Really Got Me" backed by Ed's legendary riffage and Al's undeniable backbeat. With that moment, my rock world was complete. It truly didn't get any better than what I saw last night. It was everything that I had ever hoped it would be and then some.

You've all seen the reviews here and I'll only say that all of the accolades, all of the praise was completely validated tonight. I didn't see a single thing last night to contradict it. These guys brought it like so few bands in history could ever hope to bring it. It was obvious to me given the expressions of the fans around me, both young and old, that we were all witnessing something truly special. From start to finish you could look anywhere in the building and see a smile on every face. It was absolutely amazing and it carried out onto the streets afterwards as small groups of people broke into song on the sidewalk, singing "Jump" and "Meanstreet".

Let me just say this about the performance: Dave was on. The man was spot-on in just about every facet of his game. Sure, he didn't have that Janis Joplin howl at his disposal the way he did back in the day but it was still there at just the right time. I've heard the boots over the years and seen him live in this very same arena in 99 and have always felt like he had lost something along the way. Tonight he showed me that whatever it was, he found it. He was actually singing songs the way they were originally sung on the albums. He was holding notes and not crumbling into that strained squeel that he's been guilty of in recent years. He sounded like a star again and that was more than welcome music to my ears. I particularly liked his voice on "I'll Wait" and "Dance The Night Away".

Seeing Ed live could only be compared to seeing some unearthly legend like Hendrix at the top of his game. While my vantage point at times made it difficult to clearly hear his flurry of notes, it was clear to me that this was indeed the greatest guitar show on Earth. His standout performances included...the whole fucking show. I can't recall feeling disappointed about any of it.
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.03.12 @ 06:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well this was my girlfriend and I first Van Halen show. We were in section 6 row M to the right of the sound board if facing the stage. So much for the god damn ice rink we were sitting/standing on. The ice was coming up through the cracks of the floor covering and it was cold as shit at times..nice huh.

All I got to say is DAMN we rocked out!! After the first 3 songs my head and ears felt like they were under water. After the 5th song my voice was gone. If it wasn't for a group that we knew all the lyrics to the g/f and I agree it was too loud and the sound was horrible but for what I paid for the tickets we made sure we had a great time and we did! It was hard sometimes to understand the guitar intro then hear Dave starting to sing then we both looked at each other and said "Oh that's this song" and started singing. If it wasn't noticeable at first on top of all the screams then we would get our groove back on. Disappointing I think a little.

The Review

~Dave sang well, he sang every word but had some different spins on some verses/choruses which was kind of odd. I still can't believe they didn't figure the sound out yet!!! He was a good showman but he could have done without the blow up mic on the encore and the hat "trick" for the ladies…well…ok, and the other hats that Jimmy mentioned could have been left back stage. Dave will always be a showman, he had good stage presence, and with the ladies as well.

~Ed was awesome other than the drum bass his guitar trumped the whole show, clarity was not all there compared to other shows I have seen at Verizon for a guitar. Did I mention they still couldn’t figure out the sound? His solo was ok a little winded, the tapping and smacking of the guitar was that out of frustration or him making an artistic statement? It was cool when he would stop and feed off of the crowd and bounce from Cathedral to Eruption then all over hell and back.

~Alex was great he never missed a beat his drum solo was great!! Sound was excellent there! He stood up, we thought he was done and then said "Wait" and jumped back into playing more of his solo. THEN he jumps right into the next song without taking a break. Loved it!!

~Wolfie for being 16 years old he is not too bad. He has room to grow and he will develop a stage persona like his father one day. I am sure this is a shock for him to go from running on stage and kissing his dad during his solo when he was a little kid to touring with the band as a teenager. I did look for a second and thought Valerie was playing as he looks just like her then realized it wasn't. He will slim out (notice he wore all black with a jacket on the whole time) and keep making his daddy proud wherever his musical career will take him. If he stays with the band or carries it on 30 years from now who knows.

Did you notice??

~The Van Halen r/c blimps flying around and at one point had a few near misses with each other?

~Was there a fight or something right before the show when the blimps were out to the right of the ramp? We all stood up and looked with the rest of the idiots and seen some guy going up the walkway with security?

~Was it me or were the first two songs on DLR vocals kind of low?

~Wolfie on the top platform playing the intro bass line to RWTD. Was that bass note off as shit??? Or was it a capitalization on how bad the sound sucked?

~Yea Jimmy I did see DLR put that poor guys cell phone down his pants you couldn't miss it on the BIG screen. We were cracking up!!

~On either "Unchained" or "Janie's Crying" Eddie had “D.C.” written on the middle of his guitar?

~Wolfie’s poor “Dave…. Give Me a Break” line even when he motioned to his dad to stop playing for a minute. I am sure it was nerves and that 16 year old cracking voice too.

~Was that the original Frankenstein guitar on Panama? Looked like it to us.

~Wolfie banged on the drums during his dad's solo?

~Pre- Ice Cream Man story was great?

~How many Mullets and people stuck in the 70’s/80’s hair-do and clothing? I am sorry but some of those people…man… it was too funny.

~The guy with the cut off Van Halen jean jacket, 80's Sammy Hair, and FREAKING BLACK MOCCASINS to his knees? That poor guy everyone in the concessions was busting on him.

In Closing

For our first Van Halen show it was a great show over all we rate it a B-. Will we see them again yes ONLY if they play in an outdoor arena like Nissan Pavilion or Merryweather for the damn soundmen's sake not there musical ability. IF they come out with a new album and it doesn't suck we may go. If Michael Anthony rejoins to complete the original lineup, yes. The sound was bouncing off of everywhere at Verizon (as indoor arenas do) and the clarity WAS NOT there! Maybe if we were up on the side in the 100 section off of the floor it would have been better.

Over all I am glad that we went but let me tell you the BIGGEST let down for us because we had months of vhlinks (which was a good thing) BUT the GOD DAMN YOUTUBE pre D.C. concert videos: IT REALLY felt like I was watching the concert on youtube on a giant big screen. The same show, same everything yeah I know it’s my fault, it’s my choice to watch but this is to prove how much technology has advanced you can see a concert before you really SEE IT. If they tour again I will make it a point not to watch any other venue "videos" or look at the "set list" even though half way through a security guard walking by handed the set list to a guy sitting next to me and said "Here you go"...WTF over??!!

BTW Jimmy and the rest sorry we didn't make it to the Turtle we were stuck waiting on a cab up town and burned time so we had to go right to the concert. Hope you had a great pre-show liquid dinner.

Take Care,
    Joe and Amy

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.03.12 @ 06:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_rage View Post
    I agree. We were by the board too it wasn't the band it's how the bands sound coming out the wall of EVH speakers.