Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Default OLD Hagar Shows

It's easy to find older Roth solo shows, since many were actually recorded when he was still on top of the world. I have many so I don't see much of a reason to request that at this time.

What I'd REALLY be interested in are some old Hagar shows. There are clips of him on youtube from the '70s--individual songs--and he smoked back then, seemed to put on a terrific show.

Now, I don't think this belongs in bootlegs since I'm kinda asking for more than just boots here. My first question is, yes, I am looking for some boots Montrose - VOA (even Marching to Mars, before the Cabo schtick), so if anyone has anything, video or audio, shoot me a PM and maybe we could work something out.

My second question, however, would be to those who'd actually SEEN Sam from that period. Any insight as to how his performances were. Did he put on a better show, or a much more different show than what he puts on today? Like I said, I've heard and seen VERY little from this period, so I'm curious as to what those who'd seen him then have to say.

So those of you who'd seen him Montrose - VOA and even the Marching to Mars tour, speak up. I'm very interested in hearing some first-hand accounts of past experience
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Hi mate!!! Sammy toured Australia on his "Marching to mars" tour in 1998 (The same time VH was here too). He had the Wabos with him as his band though, not session players.
    I've got a few old Sammy shows back at my familys house but thats a long way from where I live now.
    I've got the St. Louis show from 1982 on VHS (but its very blurry)
    I've got a VOA Show from late 84/early 85 on cassete (thats mint quality)
    and
    A rosemont theatre show in Chicago from 1997 on VHS (which is cool)

I'm after some rare stuff too, but old Sammys pretty hard to find.
    I posted on Sammys website whether I could get some old setlists from the 70's, about 70 + read my message, but no one replied.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I used to have some vhs tapes from when the old redrocker fanclub site did all his merchandise, they were pretty good shows. Tapes are long gone now they got watched that often, shame some of the concerts haven't been transfered onto dvd. Most recent one I had was a St Louis show from the Red Voodoo tour, played "Returning of the wish" near the end and it sent shivers down my spine how good it sounded live.

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I would love to see that old MTV In Concert performance of Sammy Hagar. Not sure if it's the same as the Live 1980 album from the Hammersmith Theatre in London.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Default DVD

Ive got the 83 St. Louis show on DVD. Quality and sound are alright. Considering how old it is I guess it's good.

Great show LOTS of energy.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I saw the MTM show at the Rosemont Theatre in Chicago. It didn't have the beach vibe at all. But Sammy was Sammy. Very laid back. He talked to the crowd a lot. Told Van Halen stories. Didn't bash anyone. Just kind of laughed and joked a lot. He had a ton of energy. Weird thing about the show....he opened and closed with the song MTM.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I saw him on the VOA tour in Memphis and the MTM tour in Louisville.
    Both very good shows, yet very different from one another. I suppose the 12years or so between those shows would have some differences.
    The VOA show was full of energy and that band absolutley smoked. The MTM show was still very good, but more intimate since the Louisville Palace is a much smaller venue that the Mid-South Coliseum he played in 1984. In '96 he made "Waboritas" for some folks in the front row and signed everything thrown his way during the set.
    What an amazing performer.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Sammy at the Cow Palace in about April of 1983 with Night Ranger. Standing Hampton was just out....that was an AWESOME show!! This was back when you could actually get to the front of the floor, next to the stage, without getting hurt. God, I long for those days again!

Last Online

08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

first saw him solo on the MTM tour...he was very cool...lots of crowd interaction, just as we see today. His setlist was great on that tour as well. And yes, although the theme and lyrics of most of the songs on the MTM album was largely a stab at the VH bros, he didn't slam them during the show. He actually had a lot of respect for his time with VH and made it clear he was sincere about that.

I saw him on MTM in Toronto in Nov 1997, but prior to that when he did his May 1997 promo tour for MTM he played a little club in Toronto called the Horseshoe Tavern. It's a landmark old club on Queen St. Local radio station Q107 had a contest to get passes...only 300 people got in...i bought my way into 2 passes for the show...cost me $500 bucks but it was incredible to see him in that venue. He told a story about the night he and EVH wrote Finish What Ya Started. Magic.

Send me a PM and i'll provide a list of boots from that era that i have.
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...

VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Atheena View Post
    I saw Sammy at the Cow Palace in about April of 1983 with Night Ranger. Standing Hampton was just out....that was an AWESOME show!! This was back when you could actually get to the front of the floor, next to the stage, without getting hurt. God, I long for those days again!
    That tour with Night Ranger was during the Three Lock Box Tour in 1983.

Saw the show the day (or two) after the St Louis show that you see on youtube.

The show was in Davenport Iowa on the campus of Palmer Chiropractic Collage. Small venue(5000plus)but all things being equal, that show was and is still one of my favorites.Pure rock and roll ENERGY from both bands and the crowd for the whole show.

Sammy called back to the local rock radio station the next day to thank the fans for the great vibe we were sharing the night before. He said if we 5000 had been 15,000, we would have tore the roof off the place.

Festival seating(GA) was the sh*t back then. Although i seen some guys get erased down in the trenches too.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atheena View Post
    Three Lock Box would've just been out (1982), Standing Hampton was 1981.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 04:27 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Hagar fan since Montrose

I first saw Sammy when he was the lead singer for Montrose. I also saw him during the 9 on a 10 scale tour. The Red tour, Musical chairs etc.

I have seen Sam open for Thin Lizzy in Sacramento as well as Heart.
    I also saw him when he first started headlining. Some of Sam's best shows were back then. He flat out rocked in person and was always running around the stage. Non stop, Lots of energy. He jumped around and ran up to the rafters. He played alot of guitar back then as well. Sam pretty much stayed the same throughout the early years although he had slowed down on the running around by the Mid 80's tours.

Sam always played for a long time 2 hours or so and always talked between songs. He used to have some very cool rants. He even said one time about how his fans wouldnt be caught dead at a Greatful Dead concert. (funny since later he became friends with the band) David Lee Roth and Hagar had a little feud in the British magazine Kerrang where they made snide remarks about each other. Roth once said Sammy had to sing love songs to his car because who else would want to be with him

Sam also did some different shows from time to time. Days on the Green, Ney Years Eve in the Cow Palace. In Stockton California in 76 or 77 he did a show where after the lights went on and half the crowd left after 2 hours or so. The lights dimmed and the speakers had the voice of the narrator who told the story of a young singer who came to earth from a different planet. This alien had taken over the body of Sammy Hagar and was ready to show Stockton California how to rock and roll. Then Sammy Hagar came out and said hello my name is Sammy Wilde and he then burst into Space Station #5 and other space songs probaby about 30 minutes total. He said at the end he was hoping to do a theme record of the Sammy Wilde personna. (I'm still waiting)

Sam also had Ronnie Montrose come out at times during his solo career. Also his friends from Boston and of course HSAS with Schon. His records sold a solid 250,000 copies throughout the late 70's and early 80's. Until he had his breakout with I can't drive 55.

Those who think Hagar was not the rocker Roth was. Just were not listening. Although there were always the couple of mellow songs on each record the majority of songs were classic hard rock in the early and late 70's tradition.

Sam has changed his image and his personna has changed to the Tequilla drinking party thrower. But in the old days he was known to talk about partying and getting stoned after the concert. Even though insiders would say that his band was one of the straightest around and Sam even now is no where near the drinker he portrays. Of course if he was at 60 he would be just a shell of himself.
    Montrose
    8-23-74

Sammy Hagar
    3-8-77, Sacramento
    11-20-77 Stockton
    4-15-78 Concord
    9-4-78 Sacramento
    12-31-78 Cow Palace
    5-6-79 Oakland
    10-19-79 Oakland
    7-4-80 Oakland
    11-6-81 Reno
    3-26-82 Cow Palace
    1-19-85 Cow Palace
    8-19-97 Sacramento
    7-7-99 Sacramento
    8-16-03 Sacramento
    9-10-11 Tahoe
    9-5-13 Sacramento

David lee Roth
    8-3-99 Sacramento

Van Halen
    7-23-78 Oakland
    11-1-86-Cow Palace
    7-17-88-Candlestick park
    11-21-88 -Sacramento
    9-9-91 Sacramento
    8-22-93 Sacramento
    5-15-95 Sacramento
    10-13-95 Sacramento
    11-27-07 Sacramento

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.29.07 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Old Hagar Shows

Well said cabowabo49. Cool story about the Stockton gig. Different era and different vibe, I guess. I to, am a big Hagar fan of old, Musical Chairs time and onwards. The Capitol years ('76-'80) produced some awesome concerts. The live version of Young Girl Blues was insane in addtion to Bad Motor Scooter where Sammy and Gary Pihl have a guitar battle on a nightly basis. His shows were still great during the Geffen years ('81-'85), but a little less improvisation due to the fact that he had to cater to a growing MTV- oriented audience. Classic songs such as Turn Up The Music and Planets On Fire were replaced by weaker commercially-mined tunes like Never Give Up and Two Sides of Love. Just one correction, although his earlier albums did in fact sell about 250,000-300,000 units, his eighties catalogue sold considerably more. Standing Hampton about 750,000, Three Lock Box about 1,000,000, and VOA about 1,500,000. By 1984-85, Sammy and his band were headlining major arenas across the country, and not just in his traditional strongholds like the Bay Area, the Pacific Northwest, the Mid-West, and in Texas. Love to get a hold of boots from the '76 and '77 tours. Futhermore, Hagar's persona did change dramatically when he joined VH. Out went the serious musician (but hilarious stage banter at times) replaced by a more fun loving-sex crazed frontman. The Red Rocker's transformation contined in the late 1990's and beyond to a tequila drinking hard rocking dude as most of you have come to love or hate. He still puts on high quality shows, but those 1970's concerts man, were absolute killer. Some of the best live performances that the hard rock/heavy metal genre has ever seen ! I should know, I attended over a dozen of those 'special' gigs in Vancouver, Canada and in Seattle, Washington during this period. Cheers.

Last Online

08.21.14 @ 01:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

great stories cabowabo49 and tas...i wish i'd seen his old shows live!
    ...and in the end, on dreams we will depend...

VH Shows: 18
    Dave Solo Shows: 9
    Sam Solo Shows: 14
    Chickenfoot Shows: 2

The CABO count...my trips to Baja:
    Jan. 2001
    Apr. 2004
    Jan. 2006
    April 2009
    Sept 2013
    May 2014

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:12 PM
    Liked 792 Times in 478 Posts

[QUOTE=cabowabo49;905152]I first saw Sammy when he was the lead singer for Montrose. I also saw him during the 9 on a 10 scale tour. The Red tour, Musical chairs etc.

Do you remember what kind of setlist he had for the "Nine on a Ten Scale" tour by chance?
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x