Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Home Heating Oil Thread

For those who use oil for heat, what's your damage so far this heating season??

Well, just got our first tank of oil for this winter...

$3.02 per gallon, or $2.96 if paid by 11/8... OOoooh, big fucking bargain...

There goes a quick $480...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

How long does that last you??

I can honestly say that oil heat is better than gas, plus a oil furnace will last 10 years longer than a gas furnace. Oil heat is much warmer than gas heat.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    How long does that last you??

I can honestly say that oil heat is better than gas, plus a oil furnace will last 10 years longer than a gas furnace. Oil heat is much warmer than gas heat.
    I'll let ya know when I get ass raped again since we just installed a new oil-fired boiler for our new baseboard heat... Got rid of the 28 year old oil-fired hot air furnace...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Thats the deal, a oil furnace that lasted 28 years!!!! Gas furnaces do not last that long. Most of the new gas furnaces last 8 to 10 years.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats the deal, a oil furnace that lasted 28 years!!!! Gas furnaces do not last that long. Most of the new gas furnaces last 8 to 10 years.
    My gas furnace is going on 30 years. Not efficient, but the last cleaning a few years ago, the tech said it's good to go. Outside of a blower and the burner, what else can go wrong with a gas furnace. On the other hand, my friends with oil furnace have issues. Little jets that squirt the oil are clogged, oil delivery resulted in spilled oil and massive clean up, leaky tanks, dirty black smoke coming thru duct work......not sure I'd ever even consider an oil furnace, but maybe I'm totally off base....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

One of the biggest problems with TODAYS gas furnaces is they get cracks in the heat exchangers. A gas furnace that lasts 30years is very very rare. Jimmy if I was you I would have that furnace inspected and serviced every year like clock work. If cracks in a heat exchanger happen you could be leaking Carbon Monoxide into your living space and not even know it.

Oil furnaces generally last much much longer and give the same efficiency that any mid efficiency gas furnace does. Now that being said, a bad oil furnace is a bad oil furnace.

Most people do not pay any attention to the furnace or hot water tank until they break. Furnaces need to be serviced annually to keep them running as efficiently as possible. When you ignore the unit for a year its starts to run less efficient and starts to struggle to produce the same amount of heat.

Oil and gas furnaces are not without problems, its just that an oil furnaces generally lasts 10 to 15 years longer for the same amount of money.

A new plus 90 furnace(high eff) is a waste of money IMHO. They don't last as long as plus 80 unit(mid eff) and costs thousands more. The cost in energy savings is minimal.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, I heat with propane and I don't even want to know what my bill will be.

I still have 45% leftover from last winter, but funny how it always seems so empty at 20%, as evidenced by a pilot light that won't.

I know, there's better ways, but I live in my grandmother's former home, it's over 100 years old, and I keep the front two rooms closed off anyway. I usually get through the season for around $500, and we've had very mild weather so far. Fired it up this morning, though, so the fall is here.

A good "killin' frost" and we'll be in collard green heaven shortly, people.

Anyone have any experience with a pellet stove?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Oil Falls As Mexican Production Resumes
    By JOHN WILEN – 2 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Oil futures retreated from record high levels Tuesday on word that Mexican oil production is returning to normal and on expectations that a government report will show crude supplies grew last week.

A research report from influential trading house Goldman Sachs advising clients to sell oil futures to lock in profits contributed to the declines, analysts said.

Gasoline prices, however, jumped overnight at the pump and have now risen nearly 12 cents in the last two weeks. Analysts have long predicted that gas prices would have to rise to catch up with crude prices, which have soared 35 percent since August.

The average price of a gallon of gas rose 1.9 cents overnight, to $2.875, according to AAA and the Oil Price Information Service. The cost of oil makes up nearly 60 percent of the price of gasoline. If oil prices continue on their upward track, gas prices could rise even further in coming weeks.

Crude prices have surged in recent months on a mix of concerns about turmoil in the Middle East and news of falling crude supplies at home.

By Thursday, Mexico's state oil company Petroleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, is expected to resume production of 600,000 barrels of oil a day that was temporarily halted over the weekend due to stormy weather. The production disruption was a driving factor behind crude's jump on Monday to new settlement and trading records above $93 a barrel.

"It looks like the production will resume in a matter of days so it's only a temporary disruption," said Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin & Gertz in Singapore.

Separately, the Energy Department is expected to report Wednesday that crude oil inventories rose slightly last week. Amid those expectations and the resumption of Mexican production, Goldman Sachs advised clients to cash in some profits.

"Goldman Sachs is an important name in the market and when their economists say that profit-taking may be in order, then that's bound to find an audience among some members of the trading community," said Addison Armstrong, an analyst at TFS Energy Futures LLC in Stamford, Conn.

Light, sweet crude for December delivery fell $3.15 to settle at $90.38 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Crude prices are near inflation-adjusted highs hit in early 1980. Depending on the how the adjustment is calculated, $38 a barrel then would be worth $96 to $101 or more today.

The contract settled at a record $93.53 a barrel Monday, after rising as high as $93.80, a new trading record.

Other petroleum futures also fell Tuesday. November gasoline futures fell 7.03 cents to settle at $2.2571 a gallon, and November heating oil slid 4 cents to settle at $2.4246 a gallon.

Natural gas for December delivery rose 4.7 cents to settle at $8.021 per 1,000 cubic feet on the Nymex on forecasts for cooler weather in the Northeast and Midwest.

In London, December Brent crude fell $2.88 to settle at $87.44 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

Analysts said a decision by the Nymex to lower the amount of money investors are allowed to borrow when they buy oil contracts contributed to Tuesday's price declines. This is known as buying on margin; the changes will force investors to pay more money up-front for contracts.

"You have to come up with more money any time you want to buy a contract," said Linda Rafield, senior oil analyst at Platts, the energy research arm of McGraw-Hill Cos.

Meanwhile, ministers from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries sent conflicting signals about the cartel's plans. An increase in production could send prices lower.

OPEC's president, Mohamed al-Hamli, said the group "will do what we can" to meet changes in supply and demand, adding: "We're concerned about the high level of prices."

But Libya's oil policy head said OPEC ministers weren't discussing any proposals to inject further crude into global oil markets, insisting such a move would do nothing to cool record prices.

Traders on Tuesday were also turning their attention to Wednesday's inventory report from the Energy Department's Energy Information Administration. Oil futures most recent price rally started last Wednesday, when the EIA reported a large, unexpected decline in crude inventories.

Analysts surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires, on average, predict that oil inventories rose by 100,000 barrels during the week ended Oct. 26, though estimates vary widely. Some analysts expect an increase of 2 million barrels, while other expect inventories to fall by 2.6 million barrels.

Refinery use is expected, on average, to grow by 0.5 percentage point to 87.6 percent of capacity, and gasoline inventories are expected to fall by 400,000 barrels. Distillates, which include heating oil and diesel fuel, are expected on average to fall by 1 million barrels.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Average Heating Bill
    Natural gas
    Last year $813
    This year $891
    +10%

Heating oil
    Last year $1,466
    This year $1,785
    +22%

Propane
    Last year $1,349
    This year $1,570
    +16%

Electricity
    Last Year $823
    This Year $855
    +4%

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I have a gas furnace that is pushing 30 years.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Well at my house I too have a natural gas furnace but it produces steam for the radiators. Not to bad of a system but in the winter I can expect to pay about $350.00 - $400.00 a month for gas. We also use NG to heat the hot water, dry our clothes and for cooking. In the summer the bill is around $50.00 a month. As far as maintenance you should absolutely drain your hot water heater once a year preferably in the summer and my furnace I drain once a month.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    I have a gas furnace that is pushing 30 years.
    I never said it does not happen, Its just rare. I doubt your furnace is very efficient at this point. I HIGHLY recommend you have that furnace serviced and inspected by a licensed HVAC Tech annually.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    As far as maintenance you should absolutely drain your hot water heater once a year
    Just curious why this recommendation....thanks...
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Just curious why this recommendation....thanks...
    Sediment build up. Your water has small amounts of sediment in it, larger amounts in area's with hard water. The sediment can build up clogging inlet valves, your faucet aerator and and even affect the efficiency of the lower heating element if allowed to build up.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I never said it does not happen, Its just rare. I doubt your furnace is very efficient at this point. I HIGHLY recommend you have that furnace serviced and inspected by a licensed HVAC Tech annually.
    Yeah, I am wondering how much longer it is going to last. We had a guy check on it this summer while he was here servicing the AC. He said it looked OK. No way it is operating very efficiently. We are bulldozing this house next year and rebuilding it bigger, so the furnace will be replaced then.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.