Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddie's Continual Recovery On The Road

As we all probably know, Eddie went through an inpatient alcohol and drug rehab program for 30 days earlier this year before the 2007 Van Halen tour finally got off the ground. It was great to see Eddie get cleaned up with a new set of teeth. He looked years younger after rehab, as he was looking prematurely aged before he finally went into the detox and recovery program.

I'm not saying Eddie is drinking again, so don't go there. However, since there is a 50% relapse rate for rehab patients who don't attend follow-up recovery meetings, I am wondering if Eddie is getting the recovery support that he needs on the road. Let's face it, booze has been Eddie's touring partner for many years now. A key to recovery is to make sure you surround yourself with people who are pursuing recovery on a daily basis. Getting back around former drinking and drugging environments with no support system to rely on is a huge no-no, and has been the cause of relapse for many a struggling addict.

I admire Ed's strength and resolve to beat his addictions. He has done more than a lot of celebrities and artists that never do anything to help themselves. However, just because he's Eddie Van Halen doesn't give him superhuman strength to fight the temptations of relapse. Statistically, Eddie has a 50/50 chance of relapse unless he stays in a continual recovery program of some kind.

Does anyone know if Ed is attending recovery meetings in the different cities that he is playing? Or, does anyone know if Ed has a personal recovery trainer/assistant of some kind to keep him focused on recovery? Just curious. I would like to see this tour make it to its end without any casualties, but I honestly believe that will depend on Eddie sticking with a recovery program. We've seen too many big name celebrities and artists relapse after going through a recovery program, so it is obviously a real concern and not something that should be a hush-hush topic.

I'm sure I will get a few "conspiracy theory" and "the sky is falling" antagonists who believe no one should ever be allowed to talk about anything negative regarding Eddie, but that's okay. Par for the course.
    Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 10.29.07 at 03:02 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

You won't find anyone posting on these boards that can answer your questions about what Ed's doing or not doing in his personal life...

Want to know if Ed's staying on the wagon... just watch the show quality. So far Detroit and Kansas City have been pretty off. The rest have been pretty much on.

If Ed stays fairly consistent with his preformances then he's sober... if it goes into roller coaster mode... all bets are off.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am Ed's AA mentor, and I know for a fact he has been attending recovery meetings as I have been meeting with him via phone once a week. He is also currently mired in "step 9," apologizing to those he has wronged while in an alcoholic stupor. It's taking a LONG time, as he personally calling every single ticket buyer for the 2004 tour. I know for a fact that he's going to get to Mike and Sammy eventually, but as we all know, step 9 can be a real long haul.

Ed is really dedicated to staying sober, and I'm sure he can pull it off. He needs all the support he can get, so keep going to the shows, and keep saying nice things to him when you see him in public! I'll be sure to pass along your well wishes.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

another facet of this issue to deal with is the support structure around ed.

just from reading the threads on this site alone for years, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that ed's 'normal' business and band decisions have been suspect for some time, and that no one has really ever called him on it....

taking your thread a step further:

if no one seems capable of handling ed and basically some VERY immature and destructive band choices, how in the hell does he stand a chance with something much more serious such as addiction?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

U know it was brought up when the tour started that this was a dry tour and that there was no smoking or drinking from Ed or Dave. But now Ed is starting to smoke again so….. anything is possible. As much as I hate this tour, I do wish Ed the best and hope he stays clean so that way we can get some new music.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

I think that there is no drinking...but I don't remember anybody saying that Ed wasn't smoking...he was smoking during rehearsals...but I will say that I only saw him light up about 3 times in Toronto during the first show because I saw him light up fresh cigs in his Guitar space at the side of stage....

But during the 2nd show I think onstage he only smoked one cig....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Banned!
    Last Online

11.19.07 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    You won't find anyone posting on these boards that can answer your questions about what Ed's doing or not doing in his personal life...

Want to know if Ed's staying on the wagon... just watch the show quality. So far Detroit and Kansas City have been pretty off. The rest have been pretty much on.

If Ed stays fairly consistent with his preformances then he's sober... if it goes into roller coaster mode... all bets are off.
    For the record, the first DET show was average, more acoustics than anything...and the second was stellar!! I was there for both.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

We have a thread going that this topic fits right into.

"Is this a dry tour?"
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/is-t...ur-t40705.html

Join in that one.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.