Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Singer/Songwriter Thread

Anyone here interested in folks like Aimee Mann, Micheal Penn, Mathew Sweet, Juliana Hattfield, Ian Moore, Jeff Klein, David Garza or other mainstream or not so mainstream individuall singer/songwriters?

If so sound off...If you know someone the rest of us need to know about, post some clips or something.

I for one really enjoy the above listed artists...Moore is probably my favourite guitar player right now and happens to be my favourite songwriter at the moment. His most recent album is out and definately worth a listen too.

If anyone wants to bring up other people like Costello, Lightfoot, Bacharach, or other individual artists from the past, do so.

I just wanted to have a thread where we could talk to about individuals. Most of our emphasis seems to be on bands...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I resent your implication that Costello is "in the past." If you want to bring in Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Al Stewart and Harry Chapin I will gladly give that to you. Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam is a borderline case.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    I resent your implication that Costello is "in the past." If you want to bring in Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Al Stewart and Harry Chapin I will gladly give that to you. Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam is a borderline case.

easy now...costello is a real inspiration and one of my favourite players...in no way did i mean to imply he isn't relevant or activce. Obviously he's still going strong and no one is more happy about it than I am. All I meant was that he is older, of the previous generation than the first group of songwriters I mentioned. Poor choice of words I suppose.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Christy Moore is waaaay older than Elvis and a killer politico-singer/songwriter. He's influenced everyone from Elvis, Bono, Shane McGowan, Sinead O'Connor (yes, old school)

Though his best political lyrics are not up on you tube, here's a heartwrencher.
    Check him out:

Last edited by Yesterdays; 10.30.07 at 08:52 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Christy Moore is waaaay older than Elvis and a killer politico-singer/songwriter. He's influenced everyone from Elvis, Bono, Shane McGowan, Sinead O'Connor (yes, old school)

Though his best political lyrics are not up on you tube, here's a heartwrencher.
    Check him out:

i quite enjoyed that...thanks for posting it. I've never been exposed to his work. I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i quite enjoyed that...thanks for posting it. I've never been exposed to his work. I'm looking forward to hearing more!
    I'm so glad you liked it. I've been a major proponent of Christy Moore, who is largely unknown in this country, for quite some time.

Altantic released an album of his in the late '80s that still blows me away. He's even better live.

Buy this album (not necessarily from Amazon... ). It will make you go through changes of emotions like you've never experienced --anger, heartache, pity, celebration and great humor. It's all there.

http://www.amazon.com/Christy-Moore/...3802703&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Yesterdays; 10.30.07 at 09:08 PM.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

For starters...

Jim Croce. Man, that name...the guy wrote what perhaps is (to me anyway) the finest song ever about "the love that didn't work out, quite so well", called "Dreamin' Again".

You simply have to hurt to write that good, ya know? The following tune comes from that sort of thing...

Jim Croce - Operator (3:26)

The first Michael Penn solo disc "March" was simply brilliant. Sadly, there is little video evidence. Honestly, if you see the album in a bargain bin, it's worth a try. The track "The Innocent One", with it's attention to detail, is worth the purchase alone. In the meantime, here's the vid that was played on MTV briefly in 1990 or so on MTV.

Michael Penn - No Myth (4:12)

Yet this is only the beginning...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Operator" has got to be one of my all-time favorites, though alot of Jim Croce's material got too mushy for my taste. Never really got into Michael Penn -- especially after he married and co-headlined with Aimee Mann.

For sure-fire storytelling ability I'd have to go with Harry Chapin, particularly three songs -- "W.O.L.D.", "Mr. Tanner", and "Taxi". YouTube is down for maintenance, as I write this, (Horrors!) but if there's videos of the former two songs I'll bring them up.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Andrew Bird

If you guys haven't discovered Andrew Bird yet, check him out: http://www.myspace.com/andrewbird.

He's from Chicago, but has tapped two Minneapolis musicians to work with him now on his most recent work (one of them being my former studio business partner). They've done all kind of touring and made appearances on Letterman, Conan, etc. It's very much that new brand of independent "smart pop."

This thread was a good idea!

Last Online

For sure-fire storytelling ability I'd have to go with Harry Chapin, particularly three songs -- "W.O.L.D.", "Mr. Tanner", and "Taxi". YouTube is down for maintenance, as I write this, (Horrors!) but if there's videos of the former two songs I'll bring them up.
    "Mr. Tanner" is a terrific tune. I recently found a CD copy of "Verities and Balderdash", a record I've had since I was a kid. In fact, I have a friend named Arte that used to play the tune during his sets, occasionally allowing me to sit in with him.

Harry Chapin sings MR. TANNER (5:39)

And of course...
    Harry Chapin--Taxi (6:40)
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for that, Chef! I knew I wanted to be a music critic from a very young age. When I was in high school, I became the Music Editor for my high school paper. Harry Chapin was one of the first people I ever interviewed. His approach to looking at people, taking in all their flaws and foibles and dreams affected me profoundly. I probably still approach people the same way today.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

God Bless Jeff Buckley

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    God Bless Jeff Buckley

The bracket goes to the right of the =, bro. There ya go.
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know why Jeff Buckley never really moved me. His songwriting is solid. I don't know, I think he reminded me of a poor man's version of Nick Drake, who I believe was some much more moody and evocative. Another one who died too soon. (Sorry if I keep coming off contrarian.)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i was going to post nick drake next!