F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Default 2008 Hot Stove Thread

the other half of baseball season. discuss trades and other offseason moves here.

good riddance a-rod.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I will say this about the Red Sox, I do think the two biggest questions heading into next season are Dice K and JD Bust. Dice had a disappointing regular season and Drew was fucking awful. Drew in particular has actually gotten off pretty easy in my opinion. With a season under their belts in Boston there are no excuses next year.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It hurts losing that guy...Although he stunk in playoffs, but they ALL did too....NOBODY showed up..

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Drew came on when it counted, did #13 do the same in the Bronx?
    He will be better next year, same for Lugo

We saw a glimpse of next year in Dice K's last 2 starts, he will be better as well.

I hope that they don't get involved in the A-Rod talk and try and extend Manny a couple more years.
    Mike Lowell IMO will be back in Boston and I also think Schilling will come back but at a lesser price tag and be the 4th or 5th starter behind Beckett, Dice K, Lester and Bucholtz.

They have a nice nucleus of young and veteran players and this run could go a few more years with this team.

Papi gets his knee fixed probably in the next couple of weeks.

The bullpen will also get Brandan Donnelly back next year and still have the Delcarmen (if he's not a starter), Okajima and Papelbon trio.

Someone will need to drive Gagne to the airport right after the victory parade and get him away from Theo's office.

Let Wakefield move to the bullpen and be an emergency starter if he chooses or let him go and sign with another team or retire.

Try and keep Kielty and Cora, let Mirabelli go and have Cash as the backup catcher.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

So if/when Girardi accepts the Yankees job, will he and Mattingly be able to coexist, what with Mattingly going on about how he was ready to manage and stuff, and - oops - nobody asked!?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Reports coming out of New York have Mattingly walking if Girardi is hired, billy.

Report: Yanks offer job to Girardi
    GEORGE KING and JOEL SHERMAN
    New York Post, Updated 17 minutes ago

The Yankees have offered Joe Girardi their managerial position, according to published reports.

It is believed Girardi has been given a three-year, $6 million package to become Joe Torre's replacement on the Yankee's bench.

Girardi impressed Yankees brass during a 10-hour interview last week in Tampa. Entering the interview process that included Yankee icon Don Mattingly and first base coach Tony Pena, it was believed General Manager Brian Cashman favored Girardi. Girardi's preparation and baseball intellect — items Cashman already felt positively about — were strongly reinforced during the interview. Ownership was said to also feel positive about those traits in Girardi.

Last week Hank Steinbrenner said the decision would be made today and announced tomorrow. If the process moves quickly, the Yankees could announce the hiring on a conference call today and hold a major Yankee Stadium press conference later this week.

Mattingly, who interviewed Tuesday in Tampa, hasn't heard from the Yankees since. Girardi, who was working for Fox during the World Series, is in the same boat as Mattingly. Representatives for Mattingly and Girardi didn't return messages.

"Nothing has changed," Girardi said in Denver last night.

Asked if he would like to see closure, Girardi said, "We all like to see resolution in life."

Going into the process, Mattingly was perceived as the favorite. However, Girardi bowled over the Steinbrenner family, especially Hank and Hal.

His one year of experience managing the Marlins is a plus, too. And when Hank said last week that he and Cashman were on the same page, Girardi was perceived to have moved ahead of Mattingly.

When Hank said the Yankees were looking for a leader and not so much a father figure, many believed he was endorsing Girardi.

Mattingly's friends don't believe he will stay as the bench coach if passed over for the managing gig. He had set his sights on being the Yankees manager since taking over as hitting coach four years ago.

There remain concerns about Girardi's aggressive style of handling people - he isn't afraid to bruise feelings. Will he be accepted by the core players after Torre's low-key approach? Will Girardi over Mattingly lead to free-agent defections, notably by either Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera.

Former Yankees coach Don Zimmer, who was instrumental in bringing Girardi from Denver to The Bronx in 1996, believes the ex-catcher has what it takes.
    advertisement

"He knows the game, he played the game the right way," Zimmer said of Girardi, a Yankee for four years and part of three World Series winners. "He wasn't a great player but was a good player on championship teams. To me, he is a winning type baseball person. He went to [Florida] and won a lot of games with kids. You know when you go to New York you are going to win more than you are going to lose. The question is how much more."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7388184
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10.29.07 at 10:13 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Delete...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

So A-rod is a free agent, one of the teams that had the dough to sign was Detroit. Today the Tigers acquired SS Edgar Renteria, I don't think A-Rod is in play there anymore.

That leaves the Red Sox (I hope not), Angels (probably), Mets and San Fran as the most likely teams that can afford him.
    Probelm is for a team to sign him to a 10 year 30 million deal that team would likely have to be in the AL. The last 4 years he will be in his late 30's and early 40's and probably a DH by then.

I hope NO ONE ponies up that amount of cash and the teams send a message to the likes of Scott Boras and all the other big time agents out there.

I think there is some serious interest by the Giants for him, they have the money and will get a return on that investment. The Giants sell alot of merchandise and are probably salavating at the thought of having him break Bond's tainted homerun record.
    But as I was waiting for the day they let Bonds go so I could root for them as my NL team, then they potentially go and get another guy I hate.:
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I think A-Rod will end up with the Dodgers or Angels. I just want him to stay in the Al so he has to go back to NY and get booed. If he thinks Seattle is hard on him each time he comes to plate he has not seen anything.

I do not understand why any team would give him that kind of money. Yes his numbers are great, but I think the distraction he brings is larger than any benefit.
    Last edited by OLO; 10.29.07 at 06:39 PM.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Plus he and his agent's timing of releasing his opt out really makes him look like even more of an big ego asshole. Not good, especially if they were hoping of a big offer from Boston.

Bring back Mike Lowell!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

How many days till pitchers and catchers report??
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

word is that Torre will be named the Dodgers manager. I wonder if Mattingly and any other players will follow him. Could A-Rod become a Dodger?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I think A-rod will be a Dodger or a Angel.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Mattingly may follow Torre..Apparently Grady Little is gone...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

If Torre did get offered the job, were there any other candidates interviewed? I know MLB has some rule where you have to interview a minority candidate. You can't just go and hire someone like Torre without interviewing others as well. I'm just curious to see how MLB handles this one.

For the record, as a Yankee fan, if Torre goes to LA, I say good for him and I don't have a problem with it. Anyway he can stick it to Hal, Hank and Randy.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com