Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Michael Anthony - Show Review for Bloomington, Illinois

Right now I would have been just getting out of the Scottrade Center in Saint Louis after the Van Halen show that was scheduled for today but got cancelled. So, for a consolation prize I took the wife to see Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony last night in Bloomington, Illinois.

It was really a great show last night. Mike was phenomenal. His high-energy stage performance was focused, tight, and full of energy. His bass playing was top notch as usual, and vocally he was at the top of his game. Mike sang some old school Van Halen tunes while Vic played guitar. While I would much rather hear David Lee Roth singing the lead vocals on those songs, I got to hear Mike's high tenor backup vocals on the Classic Van Halen songs while Vic sang Dave's part. There is nobody who can sing those backup parts like Mikey - I don't care if your last name is Van Halen.

Sammy's show was good too, especially when Mike came out to play bass on the Van Hagar material. I hate to say it, but Sam and Mike's version of that Van Hagar material sounds just as good if not better than what it sounded like when Van Halen played it in 2004. While it didn't have any of Eddie's flair with the tap-ons, harmonics, and whammy bar stuff - the performances were void of the screw-ups that were happening in 2004. Plus the energy among the band members is much better when Sam is solo.

Mike seems really happy with what he is doing. He is obviously having fun, which is what it's all about. If the band's not having fun, you can bet that the crowd won't be either. Mike loves to entertain people, and he does a great job at it.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go Mikey, go Mikey!! Thanks for the great review. It's reassuring to hear such positive news about a beloved person that I believe everyone only wishes the best.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Sammy Hagar And The Wabos
    With Michael Anthony And The Mad Anthony Express
    2007-10-27
    US Cellular Coliseum
    Bloomington Illinois (16-bit) (FLAC)

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...7&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by voivod; 10.28.07 at 09:28 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was funny when Sammy told Mikey not to drink too much after he left the stage because Sammy didn't want him falling asleep in the lear jet on the way home. LOL! Must be nice. I guess that's one of the perks of selling your tequila business for $80-million. Fly to a gig in the afternoon, do the sound check, play the gig, and be home in L.A. in time to watch the Late Late Show. Meanwhile the old band members are cruising down the interstate in a tour bus trying to keep from strangling each other. ROFL!

I can say one thing for Sammy and Mike - their success and riches has never taken away from their passion to please an audience. They don't need the money. They do it because its their passion. That is what makes them true entertainers.
    Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 10.28.07 at 09:28 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Sammy Hagar And The Wabos
    With Michael Anthony And The Mad Anthony Express
    2007-10-27
    US Cellular Coliseum
    Bloomington Illinois (16-bit) (FLAC)

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...7&page=1&pp=15
    Thanks for the link. It shows the set list from Mad Anthony Express:

Mad Anthony Express Opening Set
    02. Running With The Devil
    03. Atomic Punk
    04. Immigrant Song
    05. Hear About It Later
    06. Little Dreamer
    07. Baby Come Along With Me(?) New Song
    08. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    09. Bottoms Up!
    10. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Like I said, these songs sounded awesome, but as good as Mike was singing, his high tenor voice just doesn't fit DLR's lead vocal tracks IMO. It's not like they sounded bad, just a little out of place. However, his backup vocals more than made up for it. Damn, Mike would have been a big boost to the 2007 Van Halen tour. His energy onstage and drive makes Wolfie look like a statue. Nothing against Wolf, but Mike has got the goods. He lays down one bad-ass bass line, not to mention his backup vocals.

Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 10.28.07 at 09:34 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At one point Sammy jokingly said something about Vic not playing the guitar like Eddie does, and the crowd lightly booed at the mention of Eddie's name. I think a lot of people are upset with Ed for what he did to Mike.

I do have to say that I think Sammy could find someone better than Vic to play Eddie's guitar parts. Vic is just okay in my book. David Lee Roth has had several guitar players in his band that would smoke Vic onstage. I think Sam's idea to bring a "superstar guitarist" on his next tour will be a great addition. Sammy and Mike deserve to be onstage with the best, especially after playing for so many years with Eddie. But then again, I guess Sam figures that sacrificing a little talent to spare a lot of drama is a worthy tradeoff. Personally, I think Neal Schon would be a perfect fit. That would give me a reason to go see these guys again in 2008.

Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 10.28.07 at 09:43 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

I reckon Sam & Mike should re-group with Neil & Deen Castonovo for that Planet US project they were going to do a few years back. Maybe even bring in Joe Satriani as well.

Then record a new album and tour it with a bunch of Hagar era Van Halen tracks thrown in for good measure. Mike could sing lead on a Classic Van Halen track or two, plus they could even draw from the Montrose discs, or the HSAS album.

That would be a worthwhile album and tour...
    Last edited by Ian Sane; 10.28.07 at 10:05 PM.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Sane View Post
    I reckon Sam & Mike should re-group with Neil & Deen Castonovo for that Planet US project they were going to do a few years back. Maybe even bring in Joe Satriani as well.
    Deen would be an awesome addition! He kicks some major ass on the drums, not to mention he can sing some of the Journey songs better than their last two singers did. Hell, they could do even do some of the most popular Journey songs with Sammy and Mike singing backups for Deen. Now that would be a fucking killer gig! What the hell, if they want to go all the way they can always throw in Jon Cain for good measure. Sammy can foot the bill with tequila money - LOL! Wow - can you imagine... a triple bill with Sammy Hagar, Van Hagar, Van Halen, and Journey... with the same group playing all the songs.

On Fire
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

sinners swing
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

I can imagine that. But, it would still be a cover band! I,E. No EVH, no Steve Perry, etc... grow up.
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedtruckermf View Post
    I can imagine that. But, it would still be a cover band! I,E. No EVH, no Steve Perry, etc... grow up.
    If missing one or more of the original members makes you a "cover" band, then Van Halen is one. You grow up.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Keep rockin' Mikey....
    Guess I'll have to go down there since you bastoids won't play in Canada...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    At one point Sammy jokingly said something about Vic not playing the guitar like Eddie does, and the crowd lightly booed at the mention of Eddie's name. I think a lot of people are upset with Ed for what he did to Mike.

I do have to say that I think Sammy could find someone better than Vic to play Eddie's guitar parts. Vic is just okay in my book. David Lee Roth has had several guitar players in his band that would smoke Vic onstage. I think Sam's idea to bring a "superstar guitarist" on his next tour will be a great addition. Sammy and Mike deserve to be onstage with the best, especially after playing for so many years with Eddie. But then again, I guess Sam figures that sacrificing a little talent to spare a lot of drama is a worthy tradeoff. Personally, I think Neal Schon would be a perfect fit. That would give me a reason to go see these guys again in 2008.

You know Sammy just can't let it go. I've seen the current VH tour and they don't make snide comments about Sammy. Vic couldn't hold Eddies jock if he wanted too. You know this Sammy vs. Eddie thing is just like a bad divorce both sides are to blame.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I think Sam's pretty upset for Mike that's all, and that he got a real raw deal in a band that he basically help put on the map.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah no shit. Sometimes I swear I just dunno about those Halen bros.

Thanks a lot for the great review! Wish I could see them again.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRocks View Post
    I do have to say that I think Sammy could find someone better than Vic to play Eddie's guitar parts. Vic is just okay in my book. David Lee Roth has had several guitar players in his band that would smoke Vic onstage.

I listened to "HAIL", and, though Vic has been known to butcher Ed's guitar parts from time to time, I think he did a pretty great job with "HAIL". I was impressed, especially with how close he came to capturing Ed's sound on it during the intro.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008