Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default help with Vista - for all the nerds in the house

So I just got a new computer with vista about a week ago and so far its been pretty good but there is still one problem that im having with it. Im not sure if anyone on here has done this but I took the 2 hard-drives that were in my other computer and put them into my new one. No problems there but when I go to access ANY of my files on the other hard-drives, vista wont let me because it says i dont have permission. Im becoming annoyed and pissed off by it each more every day that i cant get into my own files but what is even more frustrating is that im the administrator on my computer so I SHOULD have full access to anything on my computer but vista isnt seein like that.

Is there any way to fix this all at once because ive been having to go into each individual music file and folder and set it so that I have access to it but I have about 1500 music files and im really not in the mood to do that 1500 times. So any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO, Vista sucks. Take it back and order a Dell with XP on it. Many computer manufacturers are still selling their new machines loaded with XP because Vista sucks so bad.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Right-click on the parent folder and go to "properties", then "security", make sure "Administrators" have "full control". Click on "Advanced" and on "permissions" make sure that "Administrators" shows "full control" on "This folder, subfolders and files". Might also want to go to "Owner" tab and change the owner to yourself.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I wish I could offer some advice here TB, yet I have my own issues with Vista.

If only I'd known then what I know now, I'd have followed VanHalenRocks advice, or simply purchased a Dell model in the first place. The damned thing is so friggin' buggy, it's beyond description.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Right-click on the parent folder and go to "properties", then "security", make sure "Administrators" have "full control". Click on "Advanced" and on "permissions" make sure that "Administrators" shows "full control" on "This folder, subfolders and files". Might also want to go to "Owner" tab and change the owner to yourself.
    My folder with all my music in it is already set to all of that and i just restarted my computer and it still says i need permission or that access is denied.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

How many say I
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

working in IT makes me realize just how bad microsoft sucks. It also made me the biggest Mac supporter in the world. Sorry folks but the old mac misconceptions are not true anymore. They run almost everything you need. Heck, they even run vista better! Good luck!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    My folder with all my music in it is already set to all of that and i just restarted my computer and it still says i need permission or that access is denied.
    Can you highlight multiple files then right click and check the permissions?

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To waste less of your time and doing this with each file, just disable the whole thing like this:

1. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> System Config
    2. Continue through User Account Controls prompt
    3. Select Tools -> Scroll down and select Disable UAC
    4. Click Launch -> Reboot machine

That will do it. Disables the UAC for Vista, making it like XP, which has no such protection “feature.” Although its probably not exactly the same thing, this seems similar to turning off “Component Control” in your Firewall, if your firewall has such a feature.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    That's because Micro$oft added this RIAA inspired fascist "Digital Rights Management" to Vista. Since (I'm assuming) you added these hard drives to an already installed new PC, the operating system is seeing these music files as "copied", which of course the RIAA Nazis don't believe you should be allowed to do, and it doesn't matter whether the downloads are legal or not.

I don't have Vista installed for this exact reason, so I don't qualify myself as an expert, but if the procedure described by Yerfdog doesn't solve the problem, then you might want to wipe that piece of shit OS and go here:

www.linuxmint.com

and install an operating system that will play all of your media files without the hassle.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VH074ever View Post
    working in IT makes me realize just how bad microsoft sucks. It also made me the biggest Mac supporter in the world. Sorry folks but the old mac misconceptions are not true anymore. They run almost everything you need. Heck, they even run vista better! Good luck!!!
    Unfortunately, the Mac OS will only run on Mac hardware, and while the prices of "entry level" Macs have come down somewhat, they tend to be slower machines than the PC you would get for the same amount of money.

OS X is based on BSD, a derivative of Unix
    Linux is based on a derivative of Unix

If you got $2500 to spend, buy the G5 or G6 or G666 or whatever they're up to now. (The Mac that comes in an actual tower case and is capable of upgrading hardware.)

If you don't, download a free operating system that will work just as good as OS X, and better than Windows, on your current hardware.
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    If you don't, download a free operating system that will work just as good as OS X, and better than Windows, on your current hardware.
    I get really tired of people who don't have any person experience saying "just as good as." How can you possibly know? You can't.

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Okay, who here has had experiance with linux?

Whats its advantages?
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I get really tired of people who don't have any person experience saying "just as good as." How can you possibly know? You can't.
    Like I said, you have two Unix based operating systems. At their core, they're going to do exactly the same thing. Furthermore, I've used Macs over the years. They're great machines and OS X is a great operating system. I just don't believe that the hardware needs to cost as much as it does, and the operating system is functionally equivalent to the one I'm using right now, which (legally) didn't cost me a thing, apart from the price of one blank CD to burn it on.

So, as I said, it comes down to money. If you have a lot of money to spend, (and especially if you can write it off as a business expense) buy a REAL Mac (not the little tin can piece of shit, or the "everything in one piece including the monitor" thing) If you don't, and just want a better OS on your current hardware, go with Linux.
    Eat Us And Smile

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Like I said, you have two Unix based operating systems. At their core, they're going to do exactly the same thing.
    As in, read and write to drives, process instructions, and have a command line? If so, you're right. Otherwise, as I said, it's just a display of ignorance.

At any rate, the kid isn't going to buy a Mac or install some obscure form of Linux. He needs to get his PC working for him. A simple, easy way would be to put the drives back in the old computer, start it up, and fileshare the music over to the new one. No fucking around with permissions, and a fairly straightforward process.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang_'99 View Post
    Okay, who here has had experiance with linux?

Whats its advantages?
    It's free. You can select from any number of distributions, based on what your needs are. They can be bare-bones or have all the bells and whistles.

For the home user, it's a joke. Anyone who recommends it to the home user has absolutely no common sense. It requires a level of knowledge and sophistication that most people don't have the time or desire to acquire.

It certainly has its place. I used to support a few flavors in commercial settings. It wasn't ideal there, but it was better than the alternatives. For home users? No way.