Favorite VH Album

Any and All
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sheer Joy and Performance

So I've been a Van Halen fan for many years, and was very excited when the news broke that they would be touring with DLR. I have attaneded 48 Van Halen shows, but had never seen the band with Roth until his tour (I was 9 when he left the band originally.)

While kicking around and getting reday for the local dates, I dug up some of the old shows from my collection (that collection is beyond extensive and steps way over the line of obsessive). I listened and watched performances with Dave and Sammy, and came to this conclusion:

Throughout Van Halen's career, I don't think the band was any tighter musically, performance-wise, personally, or professionally than on the FUCK tour.

Does anyone agree?
    "What is understood doesn't need to be discussed. Right, Edward?"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.08.08 @ 02:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen them many times over the years, and this tour seems to be the tightest by far. Eddie is on top of his game, Dave sounds great, WOLFIE IS AN EXCELLENT PLAYER and Alex sounds as great as ever. 1984 was awesome...magic, but not as tight as 2007 in Philly. 5150, OU812, FUCK and Balance were strong shows and Sammy sang his ass off. III with Gary Cherone was pretty good too. 2004 was OK... I guess I was just psyched to see them back, but certainly not their best.

I was somewhat skeptical about this tour and their future, but they kicked ass. I hope they can keep it going!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.12.12 @ 01:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally liked the 98 tour with Gary as my favorite just because of the song selection and Gary was all over the place a great show man and Ed was on. That was until I saw this tour it was the best I have ever seen Van Halen period
    "Once believed,Can't ever loose faith."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.07.07 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are hot as anything on the new tour. You can't expect the same group from 20+ to be performing - but if you come wanting some great VH they don't disappoint. Been to two shows and heading to MSG.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love & Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.07 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. I am suprised and very happy about how the band sounds on this tour. They have brought energy to this band that hasn't been seen since,,,well...1982. I liked the 1984 tour,but i thought the 81 and 82 shows were much better.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

The FUCK tour certainly had a lot of energy but one of my favorite tours was the Right Here, Right Now tour. That's when Unchained was played with Sammy the first time. The setlist was pretty good too.

I must say that the current tour has been great. I think the fans got what they wanted...at least for the most part.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangvh View Post
    So I've been a Van Halen fan for many years, and was very excited when the news broke that they would be touring with DLR. I have attaneded 48 Van Halen shows, but had never seen the band with Roth until his tour (I was 9 when he left the band originally.)

While kicking around and getting reday for the local dates, I dug up some of the old shows from my collection (that collection is beyond extensive and steps way over the line of obsessive). I listened and watched performances with Dave and Sammy, and came to this conclusion:

Throughout Van Halen's career, I don't think the band was any tighter musically, performance-wise, personally, or professionally than on the FUCK tour.

Does anyone agree?

I agree. The Balance tour was great as well though. VH live in Toronto 1995 is my favorite Van Halen concert on video.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

i've never heard some better as a band that on the VH3 tour. They seemed out to prove something.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangvh View Post

Does anyone agree?
    I thought the 5150 tour was the best followed by the Balance tour. 5150 they had a lot to prove, Roth leaving, a new album, new sound and Ed was at the top of his game IMO.

Balance was tight as well (the 3 times I saw them at least) Great show.

This thread should be in the "past" forum, these days are long gone for Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    i've never heard some better as a band that on the VH3 tour. They seemed out to prove something.
    yeah...it almost seemed like they had a collective chip on their shoulder and were out to kick people's teeth in...I loved it...every second of it. I know i'm in the vasy minority but that was a great time to be a VH fan. Ed was looking and playing incredibly well, they had a real vocalist and Mike and Al were providing, as always, one-of-if-not-the most incredible rhythm section in rock and roll.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

I prefer the Dave years overall, but I think the 5150 tour was the pinnacle of Van Halen. It was new territory and they did things they hadn't done before or since. Sam had more vocal range than Dave and brought a more human side to the band. Not to take away from the greatness of the Dave years. They probably peaked in those years around 1979-80....since they were basically at each other's throats in 82-84 but just the addition of what Sam brought originally and the freedom of Ed being able to expand (yeah and write the sucky, sappy shit) and them playing with the happiness that the 5150 tour showed, I think that's the high-water mark, whether I liked the catalog of songs better or not.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    yeah...it almost seemed like they had a collective chip on their shoulder and were out to kick people's teeth in...I loved it...every second of it. I know i'm in the vasy minority but that was a great time to be a VH fan. Ed was looking and playing incredibly well, they had a real vocalist and Mike and Al were providing, as always, one-of-if-not-the most incredible rhythm section in rock and roll.
    the VH3 show is still the best concert I've ever seen. I was hoping this tour would top it but it didn't for me. The band was just on fire that night.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.02.08 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen every tour with Sammy,and the Gary tour.My 2 favorite shows were 5150 in Austin,and RHRN in Dallas.5150 was great.New band,new energy.They were on fire.They did an incredible version of Sunshine Of Your Love that night. RHRN tour was my favorite show because it seemed like they were just having a blast on stage.Seemed like they just didn't give a damn....In a good way,if you know what I mean.Unchained blew my mind,and they also did Neil Young's Keep On Rockin' In The Free World.Wish they would've put that song on an album.

The FUCK tour was good,but they seemed a little bored to me.Like they were going through the motions.

The Balance show was great,but I remember telling my friend that something seemed different about them,and that the band probably wouldn't be the same after that tour.Wish I'd been wrong.

Didn't care for the Gary show.I just never really liked his voice,even with Extreme.Great set list,though.

Can't wait to see them with Dave.Bring on those Texas dates!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

The 1980 WACF and the 1981 Fair Warning tour were the greatest I've seen VH on their game. Between the two the 81 FW was the tops by a slim margin.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

The best VH shows I've seen are 1984, 5150, FUCK, and VHIII. Gary was AWESOME!! He really worked the crowd and Ed was ON FIRE!!!

Now, guys get your asses down south damn it!!!!