Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default *** Reviews 10.26 Kansas City ***

Reviews of the Kansas show.

Only reviews! If you did not attend this show you have no reason to post in this thread.

All non reviews will be deleted.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.27.16 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

First one back, I guess.

Just got back to the motel from the show. This is my first show of this tour, so here is my review.

I admit that I got goose bumps when they came out.

It was very very loud. I as on Wolfie's side in Section 107 Row 6. It was almost too loud. There were some sound problems like Dave's mic kept going in and out....not to dead, but real soft, then real loud.

Dave still can not remember lyrics and Ed is out of control with his playing. He just plays too much and it makes the song too chaotic, IMHO.

I seemed to watch Wolfie alot and he definately is playing and singing. He seemed to be looking out at the crowd alot, and he also seemed to have some equipment problems as he talked to his tech after each song the first 5 or so songs.

One strange thing...during Jump, Wolfie said the "Hey You" line with Dave responding "Who Said That". I heard a loud "ME" afterward but Wolfie nor Ed was at the their mics. Maybe it was my imagination.

Anyway, the band was better than in 2004, but still not real tight. They would miss a few bars or beats a good bit, especially in song intros. Alex always seemed to keep it going though.

Alex is the man, but he sure is looking old.

Highlights: You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Unchained, Alex Solo
    Lowlights: I'll Wait, Atomic Punk

I'm sure others will provide more details.

Oh, yeah....Eddie played an unmarked black guitar most of the show that had a stenciled "4" spray painted with flat black on the body.

I miss Mike.
    Last edited by Chet Dakota; 10.26.07 at 10:18 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

WOW, I loved this show, everything ive been reading about and more!! I will give a full review soon as I get some rest, but what a night!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.04.07 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The songs do sound chaotic from time to time you are right.
    But, these songs haven't been played in years, so I think they are still working them out........
    The biggest thing to me however, was Dave. I have heard he is sick and I think it showed. He seemed to have very little energy at times. We were very close to the stage and he was constantly clearing his throat between lines. I have some of the bootlegs that have been circulating from this tour and he cut out a lot of his raps. He tell a long story before Ice Cream it was gone, he does an improv (not so anymore) during Doctor and he didn't do it tonight...and during I'm The One, during the pause he has been doing the, "Look at all the People...." line and he didn't do it.
    I loved the show and I hope his voice holds up as it has given him trouble in the past.
    A great time for sure. Can't wait for StL in March!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allhours View Post
    The songs do sound chaotic from time to time you are right.
    But, these songs haven't been played in years, so I think they are still working them out........
    The biggest thing to me however, was Dave. I have heard he is sick and I think it showed. He seemed to have very little energy at times. We were very close to the stage and he was constantly clearing his throat between lines. I have some of the bootlegs that have been circulating from this tour and he cut out a lot of his raps. He tell a long story before Ice Cream it was gone, he does an improv (not so anymore) during Doctor and he didn't do it tonight...and during I'm The One, during the pause he has been doing the, "Look at all the People...." line and he didn't do it.
    I loved the show and I hope his voice holds up as it has given him trouble in the past.
    Are they doing St Louis in March? If that is true than I am very glad for the people that spent all of their hard earned money for that show.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Are they doing St Louis in March? If that is true than I am very glad for the people that spent all of their hard earned money for that show.
    No idea what that means, but yes they are.

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The sound was very loud, my ears are still ringing and it feels great!

Eddie's playing has me puzzled. He seems to overplay everything. I'm not bashing, just an observation from a fan from way back. I would think it would be easier to play the songs as they were recorded versus all the "riffing" he does now. It causes him to be late on hitting key chords in the songs. Wolfie
    seems to watch his Dad alot because of this. I've read during practice Wolfie has said to his Dad "you were late there". I think this is why Wolfie does not run around a lot. He is a solid bass player and has a great future ahead of him.

During Eddies Solo, you could tell he had some trouble. His guitar volume knob froze up or something, I saw him look at his tech and spin the knob with a look of disgust and it real noisy and cutting out during "Cathedral". Then the guitar jack went out it sounded like, so Eddie puls out the cord and licks it! that seemed to help and finished the solo.

I loved the show, I'm still, and always will be true fan. Walking out of th Sprint
    Center, I saw a big black tour bus pulling out with tons of security leading it, I couldn't help but wonder if they were on it.

Great night!!!!

Favorite VH Album

I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.09.12 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The biggest thing to me however, was Dave. I have heard he is sick and I think it showed. He seemed to have very little energy at times. We were very close to the stage and he was constantly clearing his throat between lines.
    I sure hope he isn't too sick ... that would not be good for the next couple of gigs ... would hate to see any shows be postponed.
    7/28/1981–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    10/11/1982–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    3/25/1984–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    8/8/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–VH w/ HAGER
    10/7/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–DLR
    6/10/1988–WASH., D.C.-RFK STADIUM (MONSTERS OF ROCK)-VH w/HAGER
    6/25/1990-COLUMBIA, MD-MERRIWEATHER POST-DLR
    9/29/2007-GREENSBORO, NC-GREENSBORO COLISEUM
    11/1/2007-WASH., D.C.-VERIZON CENTER
    5/15/2008-BALTIMORE, MD-1ST MARINER ARENA

Favorite VH Album

I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.09.12 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sounds like a spring leg of this tour perhaps, yet to be announced ... Has this date been published anywhere?
    7/28/1981–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    10/11/1982–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    3/25/1984–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    8/8/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–VH w/ HAGER
    10/7/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–DLR
    6/10/1988–WASH., D.C.-RFK STADIUM (MONSTERS OF ROCK)-VH w/HAGER
    6/25/1990-COLUMBIA, MD-MERRIWEATHER POST-DLR
    9/29/2007-GREENSBORO, NC-GREENSBORO COLISEUM
    11/1/2007-WASH., D.C.-VERIZON CENTER
    5/15/2008-BALTIMORE, MD-1ST MARINER ARENA

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Last Online

07.22.15 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Great show! I agree with everyone else it was very very loud. The band seemed to rush the show. I would have loved to hear Dave speak more with the crowd. Highlights for me: Hot For Teacher, Alex's Solo, and seeing the mighty VH.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1; 5150
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire; Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default KC Show Review

Here are my thoughts: (1st time seeing this tour)

Most people's earlier reviews are dead-on:

Concert was very loud, Eddie seemed to "overplay" a few of the songs, Wolfgang a bit "stiff", Dave forgetting some of the lyrics, etc.

The show overall exceeded my expectations. It was very cool to hear 12-15 differerent songs they hadn't played in concert in 22 years. I thought Romeo's Delight & Hot for Teacher were two of the best.

It was nice to see Dave enjoying himself but not "overdoing" the silliness he is know for. I was shocked to see how in shape he was. His voice is definitely a concern however. His vocals were drowned out several times by Eddie's booming guitar. His sickness could be a factor, but 15 shows in & losing some steam, has to be cause for concern down the road. I think he gave his best effort. In the past that was not always the case.

The tour manager was extremely smart in not scheduling back to back shows. I don't think Dave's voice would hold up. It would be prudent to take at least a month off before starting the second leg.

Eddie was much better than 2004. Not even close. Was he perfect? No. I say so what. His playing sober will always give people enjoyment. I didn't care much for his solo, but I enjoyed his playing.

One piece of advice for those going to future shows: DO NOT PURCHASE TICKETS AT FACE VALUE. WAIT UNTIL THE DAY OF THE SHOW. THERE WERE DOZENS OF $160 TICKETS SELLING FOR $50-$100. GOOD SEATS!!!

I know some of the shows have sold out which would make it harder to find good tickets. But last night's show was 90-95% full. Be patient.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

07.21.16 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello I agree with most everything I've seen posted here so far. This was not their best show from what I've heard before and in boots.

It was streamlined, no talking as they said before. If Dave was not completely well that would explain it.

To me it seemed like yes they were loud, but at times I could not hear Eds guitar well in the beginning. I did see him messing with the volume knob as mentioned earlier. Also it seemed something was working on and off as you could hear him playing a riff but an effect was missing so it sounded bare.

A couple of people also said one time when Ed came up to Dave he used Dave's mike to sing the chours - and sing it LOUD - and must have been to loud for Dave's ear monitor. When Ed turned away after singing the chorus Dave looked back and seemed to mouth 'you asshole' . But they were hugging and slapping hands later in the show so I don't think was anything but a 'moment' thing.

One song I really looked forward to was 'Everybody Wants Some' but the little guitar riffs were not really there at the beginning. Either because of Ed's volume issues or he just didn't hit them the way he did in prior shows I heard. So I was a little disappointed there.

Hot for Teacher was right on the money though. Seemed like later in the show Eds sound improved. However that's when it seemed Daves mic started to fade. So maybe the sound overall was an issue.

Still the concert was great, many songs were smack on.

I did see someone selling floor tickets just minutes before 8:00 for $40.00 each. So if you are looking for one or two just before the show, you may get a great deal.

Alex's drum solo seemed to generate a lot of energy from the crowd. It was well played out and not too long.

I thought Wolfie did a great job on bass.

Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Kansas City....NOT GOOD!

First time to post on this website....long time lurker...long time VH fan and let me give you my review of this show.

IT STUNK. Plain and simple....this is the 3rd VH show I have seen on this tour and I will explain why this was by far the worst VH show I have seen on this tour and EVER.

I'm sorry folks....but compared to the other shows I have seen on this leg there is something that went wrong last night or wrong with the guys....

You are right....the show was rushed. Why? I have no clue...personally I think Ed was hitting the sauce. DON'T COME AFTER ME! It's just a theory and you will see why as you read on....

During his solo he started doing things that reminded me of 2004...unplugged his guitar, stuck the jack into his mouth, bit on it and then couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting a good sound...hummm...I wonder why. Didn't do that before....his playing was weird...trying to do too many things at one time. Chicago 10 days ago was ABSOLUTELY INSANELY KILLER! That was a band! This was 4 different guys....

The show was rushed so much that Dave missed some parts of the songs and had to stop singing to let hte band catch up or vice versa....(Secrets and Dance were two that I remembered....)

Dave did NOTHING like what I saw in Chicago which was the best show I have ever seen....

The intro to Doctor was about 2 seconds long with the harmonica....the story for Ice Cream man? Gone....he got straped up and started playing Ice Cream Man....

There was no "3/4th's original....1/4 inevitable"....no mixing up of Panama in the middle.....it was like this....

Get out there....play the songs...don't give anything more than that....get on the bus and get the hell out of Dodge.

I love this band....I hated to see last night...that was the last show I was going to make this leg and if it gets better I will have to go see it again to get this bad image out of my mind. I don't know what happened last night....but let me put it this way.

I bought 5 star in Philly, 4 star in Chicago and for Kansas City I took the kids and we went for the $50 seats....and if I had paid money like those previous shows and saw that last night????? I would have raised a hell fit and been really ticked off.

But my son who is 13 got to see VH for the first time and for that it was worth it....it was still the band we all know and love...wouldn't expect anything except drama right!?!?!?!

I hope that was just something weird going on and I apologize for bringing up the booze comment....but what are we supposed to think? Yes, Dave seemed like something was bothering him too....

But in closing let me say this....that was not a band last night. That was 4 individual people up there. No one was interacting the way they were in the previous shows and they were all in their own world. You had to have seen other shows to agree with me. It was like Wolfie was a hired gun who they didn't want up there...Al was Al...you get that no matter what...

But what a weird show....and to the Sprint Center? You all can take a leap...I got a call from a buddy who asked me to get him a shirt....so there was a tent outside selling who was out there after every show and for some reason (weird again) they were gone after the show...so I stopped 3 feet after I got out of the arena, turned back to go inside and buy a shirt and I got thrown out...no re-entry after you leave....3 feet or not they wouldn't let me back in.

I will post more later...but was there anyone else there last night who saw other shows and agrees with me?

Roth on....

David

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It reminded me of seeing the new Star Wars when it came out. I am a huge fan of those films.....I remember sitting in the theater after 20+ years of waiting and saying to myself, "Does this ACTUALLY suck??"

Yes, last night was really bad. As I said, I have boots from the other tour dates and they were on fire. Last night, I hope, was just an off night....unfortunately, I drove 4 hours for that off night.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The show was not good!

I agree it was bad. I spent $160 that I don't really have to spend to see a band that I had dreamed about for 20+ years. I left there extremely disappointed and upset that I had wasted my money. They were very rushed and the sound was not good at all. Sometimes I couldn't hear Ed's guitar, sometimes I couldn't hear Dave singing, and I really didn't notice Wolfgang much at all. And what's the point of having a walkway out into the crowd when no one uses it? Wolfgang walked out there once and Dave walked out there once. There was no fan interaction at all. During the Sam & Dave tour, Sam said he brings a party, and Dave said he is the party. Not so last night.

Anyway, if I could get my money back, I would. I enjoyed hearing them play some of the classics I never thought I would hear from Van Halen, but it just wasn't that good. I hope for everyone else that this was just an off night.
    Face Down in Cabo!