Register
Page 1 of 48 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Default The "Only in Florida" thread

With so many of the goofy-ass stories posted around here taking place in Florida, maybe it's time for one thread to house them all. Maybe not - let the public decide. But here's one to ponder:

Bus Driver Fired For Failing Drug Test, Blames Students

from wftv.com:

TAMPA, Fla. -- A bus driver in Tampa said her students are to blame for her positive drug test.

Rosemary Pevy said she tested positive for marijuana because she inhales the fumes from the drug when her students ride her bus. She said she complained to the district's officials.

Pevy has been fired, but said she won't fight the decision because it's too expensive.

So...the students smell so strongly like marijuana when they board the bus that it actually permeates her pores and gets her, or they're actually smoking the pot while riding the bus, which of course would be up to her to keep from happening.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

By my count, I've posted nearly twenty separate instances of buffoonery, madness, spiteful intentions and general cluelessness regarding our Florida neighbors over the years, billy.

You wanna merge 'em all?

Personally, I honestly enjoy coming up with the headlines for the individual posts. Would you prefer I put them in this thread, or post the mundane ones here and save the truly astounding ones for separate postings?

Your call bro, as it's your forum.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,131 Posts

Premium Member

Bus drivers don't have any authority though. You try telling a bunch of kids to stop smoking pot when you have nothing to hang over them. That's probably why she complained to the school district. Even if she tried to stop them, it probably would have ended like this:

"Florida bus driver fired after assault on students."

Then again, she just might like to toke up herself and is looking for an excuse. We all know bus drivers are the finest citizens around

PS: I like them separate. I like the anticipation of going to the main page and reading the rediculous headlines and wonder if they could be true before I open it. Shockingly, the stories are usually worse than I think.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    You wanna merge 'em all?

Personally, I honestly enjoy coming up with the headlines for the individual posts. Would you prefer I put them in this thread, or post the mundane ones here and save the truly astounding ones for separate postings?

You know I would if I could!

It don't matter to me, really. It's not my forum (unless this gets kicked over to Music Only, which I'm not sure why anyone would do that!). I honestly don't know what the best way is - the thread's here now if people want to add to it, or if they don't that's their call! Never know, seenbad might decide to issue a forum-wide ban on any stories involving the citizens of Florida - he's a dick like that!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    It don't matter to me, really. It's not my forum (unless this gets kicked over to Music Only, which I'm not sure why anyone would do that!). I honestly don't know what the best way is - the thread's here now if people want to add to it, or if they don't that's their call! Never know, seenbad might decide to issue a forum-wide ban on any stories involving the citizens of Florida - he's a dick like that!
    Ooops, my apologies to seen and DIF.

Then again, at least I did not refer to them as "dick"s.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ooops, my apologies to seen and DIF.

Then again, at least I did not refer to them as "dick"s.
    what part of south florida are you from chef? I was born in Pahokee, a couple hours north of miami and lived in miami at a couple different times in my life...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    what part of south florida are you from chef? I was born in Pahokee, a couple hours north of miami and lived in miami at a couple different times in my life...
    I've been knocking about Broward county since 1969, broken. Primarily in Plantation, Sunrise and Davie, with an odd side trip to Pompano for a couple of years.

After Andrew in '92, this place has been on a steady nosedive, particularly Miami. Good to see that you displayed the basic common sense (that I lack, obviously ) in escaping the wasteland!
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been knocking about Broward county since 1969, broken. Primarily in Plantation, Sunrise and Davie, with an odd side trip to Pompano for a couple of years.

After Andrew in '92, this place has been on a steady nosedive, particularly Miami. Good to see that you displayed the basic common sense (that I lack, obviously ) in escaping the wasteland!
    I actually moved back to Miami and stayed for six months the year after Andrew. We arrived in Miami one year to the day after Andrew...it was amazing. I walked the zoo, or what was left of it, with a friend of mine...just shocking. We lived in Cutler Ridge, just south of Miami but after 6 months we were called back to Houston...Miami will always have a very special place in my heart, not just the family I have there and what not, but those six months were some of the most important of my life...a lot went on during that 6 months, the 6 months leading up to the move and the 6 months after...crazy crazy times...

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    With so many of the goofy-ass stories posted around here taking place in Florida, maybe it's time for one thread to house them all. Maybe not - let the public decide. But here's one to ponder:

Bus Driver Fired For Failing Drug Test, Blames Students

from wftv.com:

TAMPA, Fla. -- A bus driver in Tampa said her students are to blame for her positive drug test.

Rosemary Pevy said she tested positive for marijuana because she inhales the fumes from the drug when her students ride her bus. She said she complained to the district's officials.

Pevy has been fired, but said she won't fight the decision because it's too expensive.

So...the students smell so strongly like marijuana when they board the bus that it actually permeates her pores and gets her, or they're actually smoking the pot while riding the bus, which of course would be up to her to keep from happening.
    File photo of abovementioned bus driver:
    Nothing to see here.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Default Flight from Orlando diverted after woman tries to open emergency door

from www.orlandosentinel.com:

DALLAS - An American Airlines flight from Orlando, Fla., to Dallas-Fort Worth was diverted to Houston on Saturday night after a passenger unsuccessfully tried to open an emergency door.

No one was injured.

The passenger, a woman, was detained by local authorities in Houston, said Charley Wilson, a spokesman for Fort Worth-based American.

Flight 1585, carrying 176 passengers and six crew members, was diverted to Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport after the woman attempted to open an emergency door over one of the wings. She was subdued by the flight crew, Wilson said.

"The crew handled everything. There was no issue with safety whatsoever," Wilson said.

Passengers and crew members were interviewed in Houston. Six passengers got off the plane, since Houston was their destination, and the rest continued to Dallas-Fort Worth on the same plane.

Can't wait to find out what her reasoning was - if we ever do.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts

Maybe she was hot and needed some air.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

Or drunk and looking for the restroom.
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe she was the aforementioned bus driver and needed a quick hit?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Storm Tracey View Post
    Maybe she was the aforementioned bus driver and needed a quick hit?
    Nah, she could have simply lifted a joint from one of the kids. This woman either seriously miscalculated the distance from the airborne plane to the ground in view of her exit plans (unlikely that sort of calculation was taking place inside of her skull), was so wasted she thought she could simply exit the plane like a poor movie choice ("Fuck this, I'm hitting the lobby") or, most likely, for some odd reason did not acknowledge that she was even airborne.

Not all emotional breakdowns are terrorist actions, yet are rightly treated as such in these post 9/11 days. Unsettling a group of folk in what is basically a flying tube is pretty much frowned upon. And correctly so.
    George Bernard Shaw