On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default For those who have seen the shows: I have questions and I want answers !

1. Has Eddies tone improved amp wise and not just playing wise? Is it a new tone or more of an old school tone. Youtube just cant do anything justice.

2. Can Dave cut a blistering full on Rock album and sound good.

3.Who is the strongest link in this band right now( I know its not Wolfie)

4. Seeing them live Do you really think Dave can cut it with this band long term?

Just curious about your opinions. Go ahead make my day

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

I have not gone but I have heard enough boots.

1. Ed's tone is better. His playing is better than 2004, but I wouldn't say it's close to where he was even 10 years ago.
    2. Maybe, he still struggles on the all out rockers. But better than he's been in a long time.
    3. Dave for sure. Al is just...well Al.
    4. I have an opinion, but haven't gone so I won't say.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.09.09 @ 10:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the Chicago shows and can at least offer a guitarist's opinion.

1. Yes, Ed's tone is far better. The 5150 III has much more growl and bite and less fuzz than the 5150 I/II. Tone-wise, it's definately less less his VHI sound and more of VHII & Fair Warning vibe (go to any Guitar Center store and crank into Somebody Get Me a Doctor and you will be amazed. If you can't, the staff will LOVE to do it for you!). Also, my ribs ached a bit from the guitar sound - that's how loud it was - and waaay overpowered the bass (which was highly intentional I am sure). He still has feedback issues and relys on that damn wah pedal and phaser FAR too much for my taste. Both effects have a piercing affect on his overall sound and shouldn't be so dominant sonically - but again that's IMO. And aside from that - he's playing as sharp and precise as when I saw him in 1986.

2. Dave's voice is still very sharp but I heard a tinge of fatigue. They definately will take time off after the first of the year for all of their sake's but I think it would benefit Dave the most. Yes, he is in olympic-caliber physical shape but his voice hasn't had this kind of work in years. I do think he CAN rip out a rock album as long as he keeps the swagger in his voice and doesn't try to over-sing (I also think they'll have a hard time selling a record with 12 new songs on it in today's media world - I'd recommend three or four new ones with some live cuts from this tour because these days it's all about the performances for artists who want to make money - not the records).

3). Ed is by far the strongest link and THE driving force in this band. He and Alex are as tight as they've ever been and Wolfie is progressing nicely. He played very well and other than his timid stage presence, he has exceeded nearly everyone's expectations.

4). Noone on the planet can answer this one. I would say they do have a chance because it's not the same old "I am the band" Dave we have gotten to know over the past few years. He definately has found a way to blend in with the boys behind him and not try to steal the show each night. As long as that holds true and Eddie remains sober - we could all be in for a great run over the next five or six years.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Len75 View Post
    1. Has Eddies tone improved amp wise and not just playing wise? Is it a new tone or more of an old school tone. Youtube just cant do anything justice.

4. Seeing them live Do you really think Dave can cut it with this band long term?

To answer your questions, Len-

Answer: I think Eddies Tone in Cleveland was AWESOME. In my opinion,
    Eddie's tone is never better!

A: I would say,YES! I was for sure that Dave would sound a little rough around the edges (I have 2 bootlegs of the US Festival and Burenos Ares where Dave was just okay). Those DVD's were the only real idea I had as far as what Dave sounded like with Van Halen back in the day (mom wouldn't let me go to see the 1984 tour). Dave sounds GREAT, and I TRULY believe that if they are all over with their issues, when they are ready to cut an album, it will rawk!

A: Honestly, I think they ALL are, in a sense. The show I saw, it looked like they all got along well, and I hope it wasn't some BS. I would love to see a new DLR Van Halen CD!

A:Well, I hope to god they do, because I think no one really is gonna wanna see Eddie try Van Halen, Mk 5.
    Hope that helps! -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.17.15 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Yes. Except too much phaser.
    2. Can he...Yes...matter of fact I think he could sound better than ever on record as he seems to have better sensibilities about the strengths and limitations of his voice. (he was always heavily spliced, and now the technology has got much better)....but it ain't going to happen.
    3. Dave. We've all heard that Jump problem, but more subtley on many songs there are some timing problems and tuning problems and he keeps it moving forward more than I thought he could. You could probably credit Al too, but in my opinion it is easier to keep druming to a click track than not lose your footing when singing when things go sideways.
    4. There is no band after this. This is Roth's retirement fund and Wolfie's inheritance fund. Roth said as much on his radio show. For those who wished it would be different once they got into it, the continued media blackout tells the story. It means Eddie is still kookoo bananas and needs to be kept away from a microphone and that Dave has been muzzled.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Ed's tone sounds great! More brown sound to me, with Hagar it sounded more processed to me.

Yes, Dave sounds great live he will do amazing things with Ed in the studio if they get the chance!!*crosses fingers*

Wolf is doing a fine job. The vocals aren't as easy to nail as the bass parts and hes doing a fine job. Will only get better too. I think the combo of Dave being back strong and Ed being inspired and clean is the strongest link and why people are so positive about it all. Most people anyway.

Yes! DLR and EVH are the main dynamic that MADE VH... so seeing them together again strong and continuing into the future is a very positive, respectable, and appropriate thing for the band. IMO of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

04.24.12 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's 3 in the morning right now....listening to the CLT show one more time....

1. Tone? It's there. like it never left....

2. Dave=record? Yes! and yes again! Sounds as good as 30 years ago!

3. LINK? ED then AL then Dave then Wolf. Or....Dave then Ed then Al then Wolf.....Good stuff either way...(MA's not missed....d'oh!)

4. Without a doubt....these four will floor us.....at least they need to take advantage of their situation. They should have the metality of...."let's blow everyone off the face of the earth....and bring them back down...."

the best is yet to come..........these guys in their 50's are inexplicable musicians....(wolf has a bit to go) but fuck!....DLR...EVH...AVH...will melt any speaker playing vh notes today and one hundred years from now.....

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

04.24.12 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the millionth VH linker that wants BRETT to go to the show......for the love of GOD..................GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

You'll regret it if you don't.....................

Listening to this Charlotte show....again for the umpteenthmillionth time, it's a travesty of van halenhood if you sit on the sideline and say "I want the original 4 guys" Brett...( the vh you wanted ) silence.....don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Anyone of us could die tomorrow ..........Don't take that risk.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

LOL I love your enthusiasm man. I'm out though. It was either an Xbox 360 or VH...I took the Xbox. I've seen the Mighty VH with Dave. It will never be better than that.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah same here. I saw them enough with the Diamond One with they were all there. Memories - as hazy as they sometimes are, are enough for me.

It's not the same anymore.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post
    Yeah same here. I saw them enough with the Diamond One with they were all there. Memories - as hazy as they sometimes are, are enough for me.

It's not the same anymore.
    You guys likely waste money on other things you enjoy less. You really should go. It will spark something in you when you are there you don't expect. It's such a great show and the chemistry between dlr and evh is all there. Life is short and fragile I say see them while they are out touring! Hopefully there will be more chances in the future but the future is now! Isn't a VH show worth the price of 2 Xbox360 games or nice dinner out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

2 XBox 360 games? Depends which two.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

That'd be no for me. It's not the same.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by So Hard Done by View Post
    4. There is no band after this. This is Roth's retirement fund and Wolfie's inheritance fund. Roth said as much on his radio show. For those who wished it would be different once they got into it, the continued media blackout tells the story. It means Eddie is still kookoo bananas and needs to be kept away from a microphone and that Dave has been muzzled.

What radio show? The one he had a year before this reunion was even in it's infancy? What are you talking about?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    2 XBox 360 games? Depends which two.
    lol well you're not going to the show but if you are new to 360 and like shooters get halo3 and Gears of War. Madden is a no brainer and I think doa4 is fun as hell! xboxlive makes the 360 extra fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]