Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Default my wife asks "Why are they just walkin' around?"

Let me preface this with my wife isn't a Van Halen fan. She's knows a few of the songs but she was listening to Depeche Mode when she was in school so.... anyway My wife watched that Rosemont DVD with me the other night. The unwritten deal was she lays on my lap and I have to give nice back scratchin'/rubbin' and I can watch the show on the big kids' TV.

I thought she was sleeping because she didn't say anything for about 30 minutes. Then she turned her head and with a very worried tone said "baby this is pretty boring. Why are they just walkin' around?" so I'm just like "well...." and she's "they aren't trying to get the crowd excited or anything."

so I kinda half defended them and explained that they were in their 50s and have had broken bones and chemo between all of em' and whatever recreational and that they were "concentrating" on playing the songs right.

anyone else miss 1982?

don't get me wrong. it's very cool seeing Dave back in there. but there is a drama about it that just

other than jumpin' off the drum riser and Mike Anthony what else is missing?
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Energy and excitement from the band.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I know what ya mean... but you can NEVER go back, and a lot of people just dont get that.

I think we are finally getting what is about as good as we are going to get with their age, condition, etc... etc...

1980 and 1981 VH concerts were the greatest concerts of my life, but I have abosultely zero expectation of ever re-capturing that. I am just glad that for the moment, they are making some good old fashion rock noise and hope it can last a while.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.09.12 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    1980 and 1981 VH concerts were the greatest concerts of my life, but I have abosultely zero expectation of ever re-capturing that. I am just glad that for the moment, they are making some good old fashion rock noise and hope it can last a while.
    I have to agree, the VH concerts back in 1981, 1982, and 1984 were the best ... the best ... everything about those memories are gold and forever etched in my mind ... those were many, many yesterday's ago ...

We're all getting up there in age ... I am just so damn happy that David Lee, Eddie and Alex are back together and sounding awesome ... I do have vivid memories of DLR jumping off the drum riser, with the lights blasting bright into the crowd ... but he doesn't do that anymore ... lol ... we can only hope that we'll all get another opportunity to see this band tour again ... I'll settle for a slow moving VH anyday ...
    7/28/1981–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    10/11/1982–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    3/25/1984–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    8/8/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–VH w/ HAGER
    10/7/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–DLR
    6/10/1988–WASH., D.C.-RFK STADIUM (MONSTERS OF ROCK)-VH w/HAGER
    6/25/1990-COLUMBIA, MD-MERRIWEATHER POST-DLR
    9/29/2007-GREENSBORO, NC-GREENSBORO COLISEUM
    11/1/2007-WASH., D.C.-VERIZON CENTER
    5/15/2008-BALTIMORE, MD-1ST MARINER ARENA

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I think it's exciting enough just to hear them playing now and being out there, and I think they have loads of energy. It's just a different time. I think everyone should just sit back, relax, and enjoy every era of Van Halen. All of it gets me so excited I can hardly retain myself! Especially Eddie!!! MMMM!!!
    Last edited by Kimmie5150; 10.25.07 at 06:50 PM.

Favorite VH Album

I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD, In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.09.12 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hain23x View Post
    Then she turned her head and with a very worried tone said "baby this is pretty boring. Why are they just walkin' around?" so I'm just like "well...." and she's "they aren't trying to get the crowd excited or anything."
    The crowds are stoked for this tour ... this band just needs to show up and rock ... and they do ... they don't need to move around a whole lot ...
    7/28/1981–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    10/11/1982–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    3/25/1984–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE
    8/8/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–VH w/ HAGER
    10/7/1986–LANDOVER, MD–CAPITAL CENTRE–DLR
    6/10/1988–WASH., D.C.-RFK STADIUM (MONSTERS OF ROCK)-VH w/HAGER
    6/25/1990-COLUMBIA, MD-MERRIWEATHER POST-DLR
    9/29/2007-GREENSBORO, NC-GREENSBORO COLISEUM
    11/1/2007-WASH., D.C.-VERIZON CENTER
    5/15/2008-BALTIMORE, MD-1ST MARINER ARENA

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

Even at 50+, VH still moves around more than other bands. Eddie did at least 15-20 'flying eddies' at the Charlotte show I went to. I wouldn't expect any 50+ year-old athletes to run around and jump like they did in their 20s and 30s.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

These guys are all in their mid 50's. Eddie has a fake hip. What is it you expect them to do?

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The real problem is that your wife has no interest in this and there wasn't a good reason for you to "bribe" her with back rubs to watch it. Not EVERYTHING needs to be for both of you, I'm sure she's got plenty of stuff going on that you don't want to have to pretend to have an interest in.

It's all in your head, the shows are great, watching it with your wife was unwise and has messed your mind up. Do you watch the View with your wife and then say "Babe, this is probably the stupidest TV show in the history of the medium? It's just a big henfest where idiots talk about nothing."

No, of course not...even though from your (my) viewpoint it would be absolutely true.

Anyway, put some headphones on, ALONE, and watch it later.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.30.16 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Ed looks pretty active but is limited by the chord. I'd like to beleive that dave is focusing on his singing which sounds greatly improved from youtubes clips of a few years ago. Wolfie is no where near Mike's in stage presence. Put it all together and they seemed more subdued over all. But they sound great to me.

I have seen the Crue and GNR where the singers ran all over the stage but vocals sound like shit. I'm willing to lose the activity level in favor of sound.
    Last edited by Yngwie Van Blackmore; 10.25.07 at 07:00 PM.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    These guys are all in their mid 50's. Eddie has a fake hip. What is it you expect them to do?
    Exactly.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.19.12 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

=other than jumpin' off the drum riser and Mike Anthony what else is missing?
    Your youth ...and the live experience. They didn't need to act like a bunch of 20 year olds to get the audience excited. My God, the whole arena was out of their seats, jumping and fist-pumping the entire show I attended. I haven't danced that hard in awhile -- and I still go to more than a dozen concerts a year. Maybe you need to get her off the couch and into a show!
    Last edited by vargasgirl; 10.25.07 at 07:25 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.26.12 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I wasn't expecting lots of highwire stuff either. We're all getting up in years & I know I can't hang like I used to either. Not to mention the recovery time is at least double what it was 20 years ago.

Sure, it would have been nice to go back & relive those days when I saw VH last week, but I was in no way disappointed in what I saw. Besides, I think I did enough jumping around for both me & the band.

Life evolves, just like our favorite band has. Enjoy the moments as they are way too fleeting.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmmm....

i thought eddie moved great, roth did his thing most of the audience was grooving.... to me i think its the right amount of 'REAL' energy form the band, not a bunch of punks moshing and going nuts for no reason....

go ask you wife if she is going to be really let down if jimmy page doesnt take a flying windmill leap off bonham's drum riser next month.... *grin*

or conversely DO NOT ever let her see a ben harper concert - he makes an arena go nuts just by sitting there on a chair with a guitar in his lap for 2+ hours....

i still hold that the 'awe' of the audience in the first rows that disables them from putting their hands in the air somewhat takes the air out of the tires, combined with the last memories we had of this (almost) line up was 23 years ago when we were all young running amok in the arenas

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Hain you answered it, it's not 1982.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com