Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 8amtill606 View Post
    Is this all Democrats know how to do?

http://republicans.waysandmeans.hous...spx?NewsID=133

Pretty much. They make it really hard for you to even want to succeed in life and make a decent income. Gee I wonder why, can't be because they want you to depend on the government to survive.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

What was the Republican alternative? No, I am not stirring shit here. I read the assessment of the bill. Merely curious as to what the Republican plan was, if one existed.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    What was the Republican alternative? No, I am not stirring shit here. I read the assessment of the bill. Merely curious as to what the Republican plan was, if one existed.
    For a tax increase? Are you kidding...

Republicans are for tax cuts - not increases.

Last Online

No, I'm not kidding. This is a memo from one member of the Ways And Means Committee. I was not asking for generalisations, rather a dedicated response.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not always... let's not forget president "read my lips"...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You might want to check out the spending numbers for the Republican-controlled congress during the first 6 years of the Bush administration. Gives a whole new meaning to fiscal conservatism.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I think what he's saying chef, is that there is no Republican proposal because Republicans would never want to increase taxes.

Democrats want to increase taxes to the top and distribute it to the bottom to raise the basement level, Republicans do not want to redistribute the wealth at all and allow for trickle down economics. Traditionally, the Republican alternative is to cut spending, unfortunately, there haven't been too many cases of that in the last 10 years to hang our hats on.

Of course, I'm telling you things you already know, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry Chef - I don't know where you are going with this in asking what alternative tax increase plan the Republicans have. They have no intention of raising taxes.

The memo from what I read states members to oppose Rangels bill altogether. Looks pretty clear in the memo what Rangels plan is and the effect that it will have on tax paying and non-taxpaying Americans.

Why would the republicans need to counter with a plan to a bill that they oppose in the first place?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    You might want to check out the spending numbers for the Republican-controlled congress during the first 6 years of the Bush administration. Gives a whole new meaning to fiscal conservatism.

There were tax cuts in 2001 and 2003 - no increases. Different issue than spending. I will agree that spending went up and I as Republican don't like that. It will make a difference in my voting for sure.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post

Point taken.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Republican Response

Rangel's proposals come amid calls from House and Senate GOP lawmakers to take quick action on the AMT. In a letter to Paulson, Senate Finance Committee ranking member Charles E. Grassley, R-Iowa, and House Ways and Means Committee ranking member Jim McCrery, R-La., asked for a detailed analysis of the impact on taxpayers of the Democratic-led Congress' failure to extend the AMT in 2007 (TAXDAY, 2007/10/17, C.2).

McCrery told CCH that Rangel's plan to eliminate the AMT by raising taxes on wealthier Americans is unlikely to succeed. He predicted that Rangel will end up passing a one- or two-year AMT patch that does not solve the problem. The AMT should be eliminated as part of an overall plan for comprehensive reform, he said.

Fellow Ways and Means member Paul Ryan, R-Wis., recently introduced the Taxpayer Choice Bill of 2007 (HR 3818), which would eliminate the AMT and impose a new simplified tax system to replace the current income tax system (TAXDAY, 2007/10/11, C.3). Rangel noted Ryan's plan, saying that he had encouraged GOP lawmakers to come forward with AMT proposals. However, Rangel did not express support for the Ryan bill.

By Stephen K. Cooper, CCH News Staff
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I think what he's saying chef, is that there is no Republican proposal because Republicans would never want to increase taxes.

Democrats want to increase taxes to the top and distribute it to the bottom to raise the basement level, Republicans do not want to redistribute the wealth at all and allow for trickle down economics. Traditionally, the Republican alternative is to cut spending, unfortunately, there haven't been too many cases of that in the last 10 years to hang our hats on.

Of course, I'm telling you things you already know, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway
    Yes - thanks baseball.

Last Online

Sorry Chef - I don't know where you are going with this in asking what alternative tax increase plan the Republicans have. They have no intention of raising taxes.

The memo from what I read states members to oppose Rangels bill altogether. Looks pretty clear in the memo what Rangels plan is and the effect that it will have on tax paying and non-taxpaying Americans.

Why would the republicans need to counter with a plan to a bill that they oppose in the first place?
    Oh, I dunno...perhaps to provide a comprehensive solution, rather than disagreeing? This bill is so shortsighted and nebulous that in years to come, it may have disastrous effects. Look, the money needs to come from someplace. Rather than crippling farmers, perhaps instead of showing indignation, the Republican Party can show the backwardness of the plan for what it is by coming up with another form of revenue, that's all.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    He only served one term for a reason.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.