Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Default New Miserable Experience: The Gin Blossoms Thread

So who else here digs the jangle poppers from Arizona better known as the Gin Blossoms?

To me, their hits read like a soundtrack from the '90s. Songs like Hey Jealousy, Allison Road, Til I Hear it From You, Follow You Down, and so many more typify that perfect combination of catchy and meaningful. But in my opinion, some of their best stuff is the stuff that didn't even make it to the radio, and it's a crime they had so much drama and tragedy, and thus only had two albums before fizzling out. Although, their comeback album from last year, Major Lodge Victory, is solid, and if you haven't heard anything from it, I have been so kind as to provide you a vid from the 'Tube of a performance of their first single off the album, called Learning the Hard Way, live from the XM Studios. Enjoy!

If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

One of the great underrated bands of our time. I've actually had the pleasure of recording a couple demos with Robin & Phillip - and Jesse showed me all the cool Phoenix hang spots on one of our days off the first time I was out that way. Truly kewl, nice guys...and great musicians to boot. It's a shame about Doug and those guys are still really messed up about him checking out like he did...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

yeah....try anything was a killer tune, bill.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I recall a truly sad interview before his death, after he'd been kicked out. He'd smashed his gold record, then made the chilling statement: "I can understand why they did what they did, yet did they have to be so mean about it?"

As a result, I feel a huge tinge of sadness whenever I hear one of the band's tunes. More often than not, I can't stand to listen to them, as it brings up personal memories of similar desertion.

No thanks.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I hear ya, Craig. As much as I love 'em all, it's a struggle sometimes to listen to their stuff for just that reason...ESPECIALLY when I've heard PERSONALLY from the rest of the guys how they feel about the whole situation. They didn't name the album New Miserable Experience for nuthin'...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sisca View Post
    yeah....try anything was a killer tune, bill.
    No shit - GOOD tune. I'd LOVE to post it for everyone to hear but I think I oughta check with Robin before I did so, since I actually didn't have a hand in writing it...although I'm sure Jerry wouldn't mind...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fill me guys...I always really enjoyed these guys but I'm completely unaware of the break-up story you guys were referring too...it seems that right around that time I was becoming engrossed in different acts and sort of lost touch with the Gin Blossoms but I've always wondered what happened to them...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Fill me guys...I always really enjoyed these guys but I'm completely unaware of the break-up story you guys were referring too...it seems that right around that time I was becoming engrossed in different acts and sort of lost touch with the Gin Blossoms but I've always wondered what happened to them...
    Here ya go, friend...http://www.ginblossoms.net/band.php
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Pretty accurate except they failed to mention (of course, I DO understand the omission...it's NOT a moment in their history that they're particularly proud of) that Doug was FIRED due to his illnesses and committed suicide shortly thereafter...RIGHT BEFORE "NME" hit big (read between the lines and insert a big, UNhealthy dose of irony). The rest of the guys walk around with an EXTREME amount of guilt and anxiety over the whole thing to this day, especially since Doug was the main songwriter of all those hits off the album that made the band a semi-household name...

Doug's drinking and depression got to the point where the band ceased to function as a unit anymore and, the rest of the guys, trying to enforce some 'tough love', fired him, in the hopes that replacing him (hopefully temporarily, at the time), might force him to see the error of his ways and clean up. Obviously, that backfired in a MAJOR way. Instead of the intended outcome, Doug went deeper into the throwes of depression and...well...you now know the rest. You have to understand that all these guys have known each other since grade school and were the BEST of friends.

RIP, Doug...
    Last edited by sixstring; 10.25.07 at 10:20 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks!

So...you guys that know this band more intimately than I do, what are your suggestions for me going back and rediscovering them? Particular album? specific tracks? A lot of the people I hung around thought they were to soft pop or whatever but myself and a couple of other songwriters I knew always enjoyed their sound.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

thanks!

So...you guys that know this band more intimately than I do, what are your suggestions for me going back and rediscovering them? Particular album? specific tracks? A lot of the people I hung around thought they were to soft pop or whatever but myself and a couple of other songwriters I knew always enjoyed their sound.
    Hey, as with ANYTHING music-related (and to quote our illustrious hero.."If it sounds good, it IS good!" ), it's ALL good. I REALLY commend the rest of the guys for soldiering on and making more records in the shadow of Doug's influence. I TRULY think the rest of the guys can write GREAT songs without him...and I've beared witness to the fact, IN PERSON...

So, that being said, it's ALL good in my book. It's not like they have an extensive catalogue...go buy it ALL. Support those guys, who, in all reality, are just like you and me, STILL struggling artists, keeping it going because that's all they know how to do...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

Pick up the "Outside Looking In: The Best of the Gin Blossoms". If you like what you hear, you can always explore backward. If not, you'll have a good selection of their strengths.
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pick up the "Outside Looking In: The Best of the Gin Blossoms". If you like what you hear, you can always explore backward. If not, you'll have a good selection of their strengths.
    does it have that "try anything" song you guys were talking about?

Last Online

does it have that "try anything" song you guys were talking about?
    Nah, that's unreleased so far. Here's the track listing for the best of...

1. Follow You Down
    2. Hey Jealousy
    3. Until I Fall Away
    4. Allison Road
    5. Mrs. Rita
    6. Found Out About You
    7. Not Only Numb -
    8. Whitewash [Live]
    9. Cajun Song
    10. Just South of Nowhere
    11. Pieces of the Night
    12. As Long as It Matters
    13. Day Job
    14. Til I Hear It from You
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nah, that's unreleased so far. Here's the track listing for the best of...

1. Follow You Down
    2. Hey Jealousy
    3. Until I Fall Away
    4. Allison Road
    5. Mrs. Rita
    6. Found Out About You
    7. Not Only Numb -
    8. Whitewash [Live]
    9. Cajun Song
    10. Just South of Nowhere
    11. Pieces of the Night
    12. As Long as It Matters
    13. Day Job
    14. Til I Hear It from You
    I've heard about half of these...I'm always skeptical of "best of" or "greatest hits" packs. It always seems like the real gems are buried in the middle or end of a record and almost never appear on these packs...should I roll with the greatest hits pack or is there one defining album I should grab that would give me a deeper sense of these guys?