Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Hanged witch in Massachusetts sparks allegation of 'hate crime'

Halloween celebrated with sorceress in noose, pagan worshipper likens it to lynching blacks

In the state made famous for persecuting witches in the late 17th century, a modern day sorceress in Massachusetts is burning mad about a neighbor's Halloween decoration depicting a witch hanging from a noose, calling it a hate crime against her religion.

"I want to see him take it down," said Kelly Lynch of Chicopee, Mass. "Look at what's going on in Louisiana. That would be the same thing. If a black family had ... crosses outside of their house or nooses hanging from their trees, it's basically the same thing."

The witch is hanging from wooden gallows in front of a home on East Street, but Lynch finds the decor offensive.

She told WSHM-TV she's been studying witchcraft since she was a child, and says it's her way of life.

"We're not casting spells against people, we're just worshipping the moon, the goddess, the Earth," she said. "Just like the Christians, Muslims, people have their own religion."

When Lynch saw the lifelike witch hanging in effigy in a neighbor's front yard, she went to his door to confront him.

"He told me that people should lighten up, and that it's a Halloween decoration. You know, to hang a witch from a real gallows and to have that as your only Halloween decoration, is kind of odd."

But the homeowner reportedly is not caving in. His neighbor, Kevin Belder, says he has every intention of keeping it up.

"He shouldn't take it down 'cause one person got offended or a lot of people got offended," Belder said. "I think it's funny."

If the owner doesn't remove the witch from its noose by Halloween, Lynch says she plans to protest outside his home, adding it's not only a hate crime against her religion, but offensive to the entire community.

"Why depict a violent death in your front yard for little kids to see?"

Between February 1692 and May 1693, more than 150 people in the British colony of Massachusetts were arrested and imprisoned for alleged engagement in witchcraft. Courts convicted 29 people of the capital felony of witchcraft, with 14 women and five men executed by hanging.

The King James Version of the Bible recounts an Old Testament direction to put witches to death, stating, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." (Exodus 22:18)
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm starting to think that we hung witches because they have no sense of humor.

It's Hallow-Fricken -Ween people, lighten up already!
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

People are stupid.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    I'm starting to think that we hung witches because they have no sense of humor.

It's Hallow-Fricken -Ween people, lighten up already!

hey man Witches have feelings too!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I bet we find out, on November 1st, that egging a house is an ancient Wiccan ritual.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I bet we find out, on November 1st, that egging a house is an ancient Wiccan ritual.
    Yeah or that lighting a bag of shit on fire on someones front porch is a ritualistic gift to the gods.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

and... yet... another...

Figure in noose sparks howls of racism

STRATFORD, CT — It's called the hanging man. But the Halloween display at 445 East Main St., showing what appears to be an African-American man hanging from a noose, has prompted black leaders, clergy and others to denounce the decoration as an offensive symbol of racial lynchings.

The homeowners, Joyce and Jennifer Mounajed, however, insist the decoration is only part of an elaborate Halloween display in their front yard.

They initially said they would not succumb to pressure by the community and police to take it down.

But, by the end of this afternoon, a compromise was taking shape. The Mounajeds agreed to remove the figure from the noose and incorporate it into the general Halloween display.

"It's all just for fun. It's not like we said, 'Let's go out and get a display that included a black man being lynched,' " said Joyce Mounajed.

But the Rev. Johnny Gamble, of Friendship Baptist Church in Stratford, called the police Saturday when he noticed the display in front of the mother and daughter's house. He went to the home today to confront them, shouting, "Suppose my great-great-grandfather were lynched, like thousands of blacks were. This is sickening and sadistic."

Craig Kelly, president of the Greater Bridgeport branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said that after reviewing the display, "this is clearly a reminder of the very painful and disturbing history of lynchings of African-Americans in the South."

Gamble vowed that if the hangman is not taken down, there will be a "massive protest every day from now until it is taken down."
    Police Chief John Buturla said after consulting with the State's Attorney's office, the display — while "highly disturbing" — does not fall into the category of a bias crime.

Noose in Stratford Halloween display prompts protests

Oct. 23, 2007

Stratford (AP) _ A Halloween display on Main Street in Stratford that featured a man hanging from a noose kicked off protests and complaints and has led the homeowners to change it.

Black leaders and neighbors say the "hanging man" resembled a black man hanging from a noose and a protest march was being planned.

The homeowners initially said they would not succumb to pressure by the community and police to take it down.

But after a meeting Monday with the mayor, police chief and community leaders, the homeowners have agreed to remove the figure from the noose and incorporate it into the Halloween display.

The figure will be sitting on the house steps with a knife through the heart.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Wow whats next. Cemetary workers upset over fake grave stones. People rising from the dead to protest skeletons hanging in front yards. Next thing you know you won't even be able to hang an empty noose in your front yard for a Halloween decoration because someone looking for an opportunity to get on their soapbox will protest.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    and... yet... another...

Figure in noose sparks howls of racism

STRATFORD, CT — It's called the hanging man. But the Halloween display at 445 East Main St., showing what appears to be an African-American man hanging from a noose, has prompted black leaders, clergy and others to denounce the decoration as an offensive symbol of racial lynchings.

The homeowners, Joyce and Jennifer Mounajed, however, insist the decoration is only part of an elaborate Halloween display in their front yard.

They initially said they would not succumb to pressure by the community and police to take it down.

But, by the end of this afternoon, a compromise was taking shape. The Mounajeds agreed to remove the figure from the noose and incorporate it into the general Halloween display.

"It's all just for fun. It's not like we said, 'Let's go out and get a display that included a black man being lynched,' " said Joyce Mounajed.

But the Rev. Johnny Gamble, of Friendship Baptist Church in Stratford, called the police Saturday when he noticed the display in front of the mother and daughter's house. He went to the home today to confront them, shouting, "Suppose my great-great-grandfather were lynched, like thousands of blacks were. This is sickening and sadistic."

Craig Kelly, president of the Greater Bridgeport branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said that after reviewing the display, "this is clearly a reminder of the very painful and disturbing history of lynchings of African-Americans in the South."

Gamble vowed that if the hangman is not taken down, there will be a "massive protest every day from now until it is taken down."
    Police Chief John Buturla said after consulting with the State's Attorney's office, the display — while "highly disturbing" — does not fall into the category of a bias crime.

Noose in Stratford Halloween display prompts protests

Oct. 23, 2007

Stratford (AP) _ A Halloween display on Main Street in Stratford that featured a man hanging from a noose kicked off protests and complaints and has led the homeowners to change it.

Black leaders and neighbors say the "hanging man" resembled a black man hanging from a noose and a protest march was being planned.

The homeowners initially said they would not succumb to pressure by the community and police to take it down.

But after a meeting Monday with the mayor, police chief and community leaders, the homeowners have agreed to remove the figure from the noose and incorporate it into the Halloween display.

The figure will be sitting on the house steps with a knife through the heart.
    That last sentence is great. Wonder how that negotiation went. "You can't have a black man hanging in your yard." "Ok how about we sit him in a chair and run him through."" Yeah that's ok." Come on where are all the family members of stabbing victims. It's your turn.

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Gosh, what happened to pumpkins and scarecrows?

TST<------------confused---------------

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Give me a freakin break. People need to chill the heck out.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It may sound silly but seriously, if people are expected to cave in to the offense taken by African Americans, they should also cave in to everyone else...if you're going to cater to the delicate sensitivities of one group of people you might as well do it for everyone...

that's why I don't care about anyone's level of offense. I've always subscribed to the notion that one has the right to be offended but not the right to not ever be offended...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    It may sound silly but seriously, if people are expected to cave in to the offense taken by African Americans, they should also cave in to everyone else...if you're going to cater to the delicate sensitivities of one group of people you might as well do it for everyone...

that's why I don't care about anyone's level of offense. I've always subscribed to the notion that one has the right to be offended but not the right to not ever be offended...
    I'm offended....

BRETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    I'm offended....

BRETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awww...Voivoid...

i'd like to go on record that my statements were taken out of context, i was misquoted, I was misunderstood and in no way did I mean to offend anyone or anything at any time in my entire life. So you can tell Al Sharpton and Pat Robertson and the rest of them to stay home.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

one sided society
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen