Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire (Live)
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 01:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed's Guitar/Tech Problems on Tour

Could someone please explain why Ed is continually having problems with his guitar and seems to be chewing out his (new?) guitar tech on a regular basis during the concert? I don't recall him doing this so frequently on past tours. I'm admittedly not a musician, so I don't understand why there are so many technical difficulties and why they can't be fixed in a more efficient manner.

Also, do we know why Ed fired his previous guitar tech shortly before the tour started?

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

From my understanding, Ed's gone through quite a few techs over the past few years - why on earth Matt Bruck is not handling the duites anymore is beyond me - he seems to just be Ed's personal assistant now or something...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

Perhaps the knowledgeable could also enlighten the ignorant as to what exactly the guitar tech does, other than hand Ed guitars that are tuned appropriately for the song.

It does seem to me that, at this point in the tour, technical problems should be the exception rather than the rule, particularly since they do the same exact setlist every single night.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:22 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Well I was lucky enough a couple times to have a guy roadie for me, and they check everything...your amp, settings, tune all of your guitars, check your pedals, test them all out beforehand, check every cord, every connection. It was pretty cool, I could get used to that. It's funny, the times I had one, I NEVER had a problem on stage. It seems to me that other things are happening when Ed is out there that is causing issues with his sound, like the vocal mics, etc. I mean you keep hearing Dave almost every show, "Turn me up, turn me up." That could be causing feedback issues with the instrument mics as well.

My band has had issues on stage with feedback and all the mics, and it's hard to figure out right off where the problem is. I would think that for Van Halen, who has more stuff mic'd and more volume in a larger setting, it's sometimes difficult to deduce exactly where the problem is coming from quickly.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Being a beginner player myself, I wonder if Ed has too much effects going. He seems like he has more foot pedals and shit than Tom Scholtz could ever dream of. I wonder if thats affecting things?

WHo controlled his shit during 5150? You can't see anything as far as effect pedals on the stage. Why can't he just go back to that and the damn wireless too?
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It seems to me that other things are happening when Ed is out there that is causing issues with his sound, like the vocal mics, etc. I mean you keep hearing Dave almost every show, "Turn me up, turn me up." That could be causing feedback issues with the instrument mics as well.
    Good point. They do have those optical sensors on Ed and Wolf's mics and they're not supposed to operate unless they're right in front of them, but the cabinet mics may be affected. I think one of the reasons he's yelling "Turn me up" is because they *are* loud as fuck and your ears lose that high end after a few songs. We play pretty damn loud and I always think it's my monitors sucking but it's really that loss of hearing.(uh, and yeah.. I have been accused of sneaking over and cranking my Mesa up 'just a little' during the show)

I noticed in Charlotte, he said "turn me up" during Jamie's Cryin' and sure enough, immediately after he says it, he gets high-annoying feedback. So that particular issue had to be his mic. All in all, both shows I saw this time, despite being so loud the sound was the clearest I've ever heard them, with the exception of maybe the 93 show at an outdoor venue. Every other show, even in the early 80s was muddy and garbled. So kudos to whoever is doing it this time.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Big part of their problem is... none are using in-ear monitors. They are relying on massive stage volumes to cut through extremely loud crowds just to hear themselves.

Once you start pushing certain levels... it can almost take on a life it's own, the sound on-stage. Pretty soon you get frequencies cancelling each other... bleed from one instrument to the next and ghosts all over the whole system!!

Ed's tech problems are more about personality conflicts with an obsessive musical nut with little social graces when the gear doesn't do what he wants.

There's nothing all that complex about Ed's rig... from what I hear he is using oddball ear tunings to compensate for how much he manhandles the neck.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zeke Clark was Ed's tech for 5150-F.U.C.K......he was awesome and did a lot to make sure Eddie's rig was perfect. He lives in Nashville, Tn now and techs for Some country artists.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    Zeke Clark was Ed's tech for 5150-F.U.C.K......he was awesome and did a lot to make sure Eddie's rig was perfect. He lives in Nashville, Tn now and techs for Some country artists.

I think your wrong as far as the fuck tour. Im 99.99 % sure that it was Bruck. I had an old guitar world that was a VH live addition and I remember Matt going over the rig as a special side article. He talked about the sony wireless prototype system that ED used and that it was hard to maintain. In fact It went out on him in the LRHRN show the 2nd night in Fresno. It was pound cake and it just cut out. Bruck gave him the red EBMM to finish the song off and they went into Judgement day. if you watch the video you can see him play it on judgement day. Just a little LRHRN inside scoop!

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I belive Zeke remained as Sammy's guitar tech on the F.U.C.K. Tour. Matt Bruck was there in 1991 as Ed's tech.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It's the first time Ed's played sober. He's not used to looking down at the pedal board and just seeing one of everything.

Last Online

05.03.08 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Matt Bruck. He has made several comments in guitar world magazine that make me believe he is by no means an expert. He looks like a doosh-bag. I wish someone who appreciated the opportunity would be Ed's tech. I have very little respect for Matt Bruck.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    It's the first time Ed's played sober. He's not used to looking down at the pedal board and just seeing one of everything.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would glady volunteer to tech for Ed. No, I don't know that much and would probably get screamed at alot. However, after 21 years of marriage I feel more than qualified to handle getting screamed at for no apparent reason.

Yes Dear..You're Right Dear.....I'm Sorry Dear.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 2,084 Times in 677 Posts

LOL