Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 2007 TOUR CROWDS - the 'missing' element?

having been a fan since the 1980's and having seen them 2x in toronto on this tour.... something's been nagging at me....

the shows themselves are great....

BUT

back in the day, the crowd was definitely the "5th member" of the band and it was that insane interaction that made them the 'mighty van halen'

although the majority of us are coming back beyond pleased about what we saw, does anyone else feel that perhaps it was a HUGE MISTAKE to take the first 20 rows, charge $$$$ hundreds of dollars per ticket so that the only demographic that can afford that are NOT what you want in front of your stage to create an atmosphere?

i have NEVER seen such a lifeless group in general as what i have been seeing in the pit, both live and on the vids, and to me has had a life / soul sucking drag on the shows....

i mean NO offense to anyone who is a member here who has paid a small fortune and is sitting / standing there, and quite frankly i think the prices for there are a rip; BUT, is it an age thing? a money thing? if youre in the pit why arent you all just losing it? (and i am asking this, not making rhetorical demands)

just curious, because i have never seen a group of people, consistantly night in and night out look so out of place at a van halen show, and back in the day it was literally a free for all....

just wondering.... thoughts? comments?

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, our group was going crazy at the CT. show. (we weren't in the front rows) Defianately partied HARD pre-show, but I really can't remember the "Edd-ie, Edd -ie" chant....
    Was out getting a beer when some old (like 65ish) man asked me if I would like his comp. good seat - my eyes bugged...asked my husband if he cared, he said go for it...down I ran to an amazing seat where I continued rocking out (by myself, who cares)...some guy next to me asked "so you like Van Halen"...DUH!!!! - guess I was the life of that section.
    Will have to pay more attention when I see them again in NY. Less beers when I go again for sure, but will still rock out straight or not. Time stands still for me at a VH concert.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree with you! The people in the pit last night were all STANDING STILL!!! I couldn't believe it! When you are that close, you can't help but jump up and down and be crazy! I was appalled. And this was in DETROIT! Unacceptable. Hopefully the crowd at the Palace tomorrow will be bouncier. Or something.

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goldustgrl View Post
    but I really can't remember the "Edd-ie, Edd -ie" chant....
    You get it every time in Dallas! That's always a good VH crowd for the most part.

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick View Post
    I agree with you! The people in the pit last night were all STANDING STILL!!! I couldn't believe it! When you are that close, you can't help but jump up and down and be crazy! I was appalled. And this was in DETROIT! Unacceptable. Hopefully the crowd at the Palace tomorrow will be bouncier. Or something.

Shari
    Yes! They need to talk to the crowd a bit more! They go from song to song, and that takes the crowd out of it!
    Last edited by C5150; 10.21.07 at 04:34 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C5150 View Post
    Yes! They need to talk to the crowd a bit more! They go from song to song, and that takes the crowd out of it!
    VH on tour (which few people thought would happen) and the fans reaction to the band is a topic of discussion? Oh....... ok.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    VH on tour (which few people thought would happen) and the fans reaction to the band is a topic of discussion? Oh....... ok.
    well mr. sarcasm....

the reason i posted it is because past the fact they are delivering a smart, intense show, is if YOU had gone to any of the CVH shows you would remember that the crowd, and roth / eddie / mike / alex all interplayed with the audience, and the shows used to turn into free for alls....

sorry if watching in 2007 the main group of fans the band would be interacting with and feeding off of all look like they're at an art gallery looking at art....

it begs the question - how does this effect the band? / how will it effect the mood of the tour as it goes on? does the lack of drink / drugs play a role?

no offense but the crowd in front of the band have been dismal in terms of 'whooping it up' like the old days.... part of it is a lack of the roth egging them on, a la let me see your hands, etc. but i have never seen crowds that just literally stand there, do nothing, clap and go back to doing nothing.... while the rest of the stadium is doing somewhat better

perhaps its a sign of the times - because most reviews coming back seem very, hmmm, enthusiastic.... maybe people just want to look.... maybe they are too busy trying to take pics, no idea but....

up here in toronto, we have a new soccer team the FC - well its their first year and they suck; but thanks to the red patch boys, they fill the stadium every game, it is 2 hours of non stop chanting singing and cheering, and they have the best rep in the league fan wise.... and on days where the team is REALLY bad, you still come away sky-high because of the crowd....THAT attitude was the old van halen one.... and its not there.... 'yet' i hope....

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Sign of the times.....everyone is older. Everybody must grow up at some point.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

I was watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High the other day and that character who scalps tickets was selling Van Halen tix for 12 bucks! I'm sure VH was peaking at that time. That made me laugh out loud and reminded me why I wasn't attending. VH are on their death bed and they have the gall to try and rip me off like this? Lower the damn ticket prices! Its robbery!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cowboy View Post
    I was watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High the other day and that character who scalps tickets was selling Van Halen tix for 12 bucks! I'm sure VH was peaking at that time. That made me laugh out loud and reminded me why I wasn't attending. VH are on their death bed and they have the gall to try and rip me off like this? Lower the damn ticket prices! Its robbery!
    hey my 13th row centre ticket at maple leaf gardens for the 1984 tour was only get this........ $13.18 plus $1.32 tax for a whopping $14.50

13th row centre

yeah someone has lost all touch with reality.... but then again, no one actually buys cds anymore and go look what we are willing to pay for a sporting event or a broadway type show....

and for the gentle man above you, yes we all grow up (to an extent) and i wasnt in the least suggesting 50 year olds tear the seats apart (well maybe )LOL but the main front floors as a group i have never seen anything like it - these guys are blowing their brains out on stage and you all are literally just standing there....

ok off to see how mr. nugent is faring over in the richard simmons thread....

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Two words: Festival Seating.

Back in the day, the people in the front row literally fought for their seats there. Sleeping outside the arena, running like hell to get to the front, and sometimes stomping on the head of someone else to keep their place.
    It goes without saying that these were hardcore concert-goers who were ready to party.

Nowadays, people "fight" for their front row ticket by getting an MBA and a six-figure job and having the secretary call the ticket broker. I guess they're still hardcore, but in a way that makes them much less likely to chug a half gallon of Mad Dog and brain the security guard with the empty bottle. In other words: "party".

Not that I ever did anything like that.

Oh, that scar? I...uh...got that skiing in Aspen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Two words: Festival Seating.

Back in the day, the people in the front row literally fought for their seats there. Sleeping outside the arena, running like hell to get to the front, and sometimes stomping on the head of someone else to keep their place.
    It goes without saying that these were hardcore concert-goers who were ready to party.

Nowadays, people "fight" for their front row ticket by getting an MBA and a six-figure job and having the secretary call the ticket broker. I guess they're still hardcore, but in a way that makes them much less likely to chug a half gallon of Mad Dog and brain the security guard with the empty bottle. In other words: "party".

Not that I ever did anything like that.

Oh, that scar? I...uh...got that skiing in Aspen.
    I think you nailed it with this post....
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cowboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by valdez44 View Post
    I think you nailed it with this post....
    but i thought festival seating was banned after the who concert in the late 1970's

and at the gardens in 1984, the floors were heavily patrolled and such and basically no #-ed ticket, no entry

next question: how do you think having a morgue in the front 15 rows will ultimately play out on this tour?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cat man99 View Post
    ...next question: how do you think having a morgue in the front 15 rows will ultimately play out on this tour?
    Sounds Cool!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cat man99 View Post
    but i thought festival seating was banned after the who concert in the late 1970's

and at the gardens in 1984, the floors were heavily patrolled and such and basically no #-ed ticket, no entry

next question: how do you think having a morgue in the front 15 rows will ultimately play out on this tour?
    It's not like a federal statute or anything. I've been to plenty of festival seating concerts since the Who show.
    In fact, the coliseum in Fort Wayne, Indiana was one of my favorite places to go in my younger days. There were no seats at all on the floor. If you wanted to chill out, you could sit up in the bleachers. Or, if you were feeling rowdy, you could go join the pit on the floor. The security guards mainly spent their time pulling people who were in danger out of the fray. Usually kids who were passing out from the heat or the crush of the crowd.
    There was also a very apparent sense of togetherness in the mob on the floor. Everybody was there to have a good time and nobody wanted to get hurt. So people helped each other.
    I got squashed really bad a few times. Most notably at a Kiss concert. (Oh, thank you, God that I didn't die at a Kiss concert! That would have been really embarrassing.) I was up towards the front when the lights went out, and when the crowd surged forward, I almost went down and got stomped on really bad. But all of these total strangers--who were really excited since Kiss was coming out on stage--stopped and helped me up. It turned out to be a very positive experience.

Anyway, if I ran the world, every concert hall would have about thirty yards of open space right in front of the stage. And then a two-foot riser where the rich folks could sit in box seats and still see over the crowd.

And free bagels for everybody.
    Thanks for your vote.