Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default Poll: Least Favorite World Series Of The Past 20 Years

There are some shitty Series in that list but I have to go with Yankees-Padres. There wasn't an ounce of drama in that dog of a matchup.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    There are some shitty Series in that list but I have to go with Yankees-Padres. There wasn't an ounce of drama in that dog of a matchup.
    Of course not. Tino's grand slam. Scott Brosius 3-run shot off Trevor Hoffman.
    The Boston-St. Louis series had me on the edge of my seat.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Of course not. Tino's grand slam. Scott Brosius 3-run shot off Trevor Hoffman.
    The Boston-St. Louis series had me on the edge of my seat.
    Your vote is shocking to me.

By drama I meant there was never a question who would win that Yanks/Pads series. Sure, there were moments of drama within some of the games, but If you can find me one person in America who thought the Pads would win even one game I'll show you a liar. There was just no way anyone could convince themselves that the Padres would beat that stacked Yankees team....it was incredibly lopsided. That's the lack of drama I'm talking about.

As for the Sox Series, I think it was a far more intriguing series because you had a very good Cardinal team who absolutely could have won that series. And of course you had the drama/tension of whether or not the Sox would finally win a WS or would they find a way to blow it again. Plus, in each game the outcome was in doubt most of the game and it was key HR's and errors that turned the games.

I don't think this is one of those series where you can see a 4-0 sweep and assume it sucked or was boring. I do think it could have easily gone 6 games, unlike the Yanks/Pads series that had sweep written all over it. I know you'd expect me to say that but I'm looking at it objectively.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

2004 really fell flat on it's face as a series considering the momentum it had coming in.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being a Giants fan and a SF area resident, '89 will always suck for obvious reasons that go way beyond baseball.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    Being a Giants fan and a SF area resident, '89 will always suck for obvious reasons that go way beyond baseball.
    Same goes for me......It was a time that will be never forgotten, but not for the reason that it should have.....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

It's odd how this thread can have over 100 people take the time to open the thread and read it but not take the .0000008 seconds it takes to click a response to the poll. I mean, you're already in here, so why not?

I was interested to see what other people did think was the suckiest World Series........didn't think it was that bad of a question.

(By Monday we may have to throw out all choices and make the '07 WS the most boring. Although the Yanks/Pads will always get my vote. )

Last Online

By drama I meant there was never a question who would win that Yanks/Pads series. Sure, there were moments of drama within some of the games, but If you can find me one person in America who thought the Pads would win even one game I'll show you a liar. There was just no way anyone could convince themselves that the Padres would beat that stacked Yankees team....it was incredibly lopsided. That's the lack of drama I'm talking about.

As for the Sox Series, I think it was a far more intriguing series because you had a very good Cardinal team who absolutely could have won that series. And of course you had the drama/tension of whether or not the Sox would finally win a WS or would they find a way to blow it again. Plus, in each game the outcome was in doubt most of the game and it was key HR's and errors that turned the games.

I don't think this is one of those series where you can see a 4-0 sweep and assume it sucked or was boring. I do think it could have easily gone 6 games, unlike the Yanks/Pads series that had sweep written all over it. I know you'd expect me to say that but I'm looking at it objectively.
    Well, once again DD I have to disagree with you...shocking, eh? I know that you're trying to look at things objectively, but I'm not sure that you are being completely objective. I think most of your vote was fueled by the fact that the Yankees were involved in that WS, and this could very well be part of the reason I chose the '04 Series, as the Red Sox were involved. And perhaps what preceded that WS is another reason for my vote. Either way, I believe there was far less drama in '04 than in '98 hence my vote.

The momentum that Boston had going into the '04 WS was simply no match for St. Louis. And, yes, I know that the Padres were no match for NY as well, however, call me a liar all you want, I didn't think NY would sweep in '98. I knew they'd win, but I figured SD would get at least one game.

And I'm not sure I'd refer to the '98 Yankees as "stacked." The team they have now is certainly "stacked" but obviously can't do much with it. The '98 team had one of the best baseball season's ever and they played with chemistry, which is certainly lacking nowadays.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Panama / Humans Being
    Last Online

11.28.16 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone that involved the Cubs, oh wait, they haven't been in the World Series in the last 20 years, sorry.
    Ever Onward
    Time Waits For No One
    Its Never To Late To Mend

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Well, once again DD I have to disagree with you...shocking, eh? I know that you're trying to look at things objectively, but I'm not sure that you are being completely objective. I think most of your vote was fueled by the fact that the Yankees were involved in that WS, and this could very well be part of the reason I chose the '04 Series, as the Red Sox were involved. And perhaps what preceded that WS is another reason for my vote. Either way, I believe there was far less drama in '04 than in '98 hence my vote.

The momentum that Boston had going into the '04 WS was simply no match for St. Louis. And, yes, I know that the Padres were no match for NY as well, however, call me a liar all you want, I didn't think NY would sweep in '98. I knew they'd win, but I figured SD would get at least one game.

And I'm not sure I'd refer to the '98 Yankees as "stacked." The team they have now is certainly "stacked" but obviously can't do much with it. The '98 team had one of the best baseball season's ever and they played with chemistry, which is certainly lacking nowadays.
    Clearly we've reached an impass.

To that I would say this: I think you may be looking at that 2004 team through your 2007 glasses. At the time, I think there was a LOT of uncertainty for two reasons. One, not only did the Red Sox "win their World Series" by beating NY for the first time in a gazillion years, but they did it in historic fashion. The St. Louis series had potential to be a hangover series where the Sox couldn't regain that level of intensity that they had against NY. The team and city celebrated that like they did win the World Series.

And two, these were the Red Sox. The team that found a way to collapse in unimagineable ways. I really believe a lot of neutral fans watched this series just to see if they could actually finish the deal. I still thought they'd find a way to fuck it up even when they were up 3-0 in the series, and winning Game 7 in the bottom of the 9th. These were the Red Sox, man....the biggest choke artists ever. I don't care how dramatic that win against the Yankees was, I don't know a single person who felt the Sox were a shoe-in to win the World Series, especially against a very good St. Louis team. We were all conditioned to believe a heartbreaking wasn't a possibility, but a certainty. That's not the case anymore but it sure as hell was in '04

With that Yankees series, there was no doubt they'd beat the Padres. None. It was just a matter of how bad and how quickly they'd embarrass them. Wasn't that the Yankees team that had 116 wins or something? They were a machine and they weren't gonna get that far and not finish the deal.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Anyone that involved the Cubs, oh wait, they haven't been in the World Series in the last 20 years, sorry.
    Uhhh, dude, hate to break this to you, yet...they haven't been to the World Series since 1945.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

I don't care how dramatic that win against the Yankees was, I don't know a single person who felt the Sox were a shoe-in to win the World Series
    Hi, I'm Jimmy, it's nice to meet you. There, now you know someone who knew the Sox were going to win the '04 WS.

Last Online

With that Yankees series, there was no doubt they'd beat the Padres. None. It was just a matter of how bad and how quickly they'd embarrass them. Wasn't that the Yankees team that had 116 wins or something? They were a machine and they weren't gonna get that far and not finish the deal.
    One last thing........for now;

I agree, there was no doubt the Yanks would win in '98, but, like I said, I really didn't believe it would be a sweep. I think it might have something to do with the fact that you and I are a little skeptical about our teams. It seemed obvious to me in '04 that Boston was going to win the WS, just as it seemed obvious to you with NY in '98. But because they are our teams, we sometimes imagine the worst. I remember thinking that the Yanks had a huge, dominating year but what if they were to lose to the Padres? I knew they wouldn't but I thought the series would be closer.

Oh, and the Yankees had 114 wins that year. They finished 125-50 between regular season and playoffs in '98.
    The 116 you're thinking of was a record set by the Mariners in '99 or '00.

...I guess we should just agree to disagree...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Uhhh, dude, hate to break this to you, yet...they haven't been to the World Series since 1945.
    At least he didn't say they hadn't won the World Series in 20 years.

One last thing........for now;

I agree, there was no doubt the Yanks would win in '98, but, like I said, I really didn't believe it would be a sweep. I think it might have something to do with the fact that you and I are a little skeptical about our teams.

Well at least I had reason to be skeptical of my team....they hadn't won it all since my grandparents were 7 years old!

But you? You were a Yankee fan with a team sporting 112 wins, only two years removed since your last title, and a century's worth of championships.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out........ :
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.