Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Florida Criminal Shows Rare Spark Of Intellect (For THIS State) In Gasoline Thefts...

This is so far above the norm for this state, I actually feel the urge to tip my hat to this guy...

Man, 70, accused of daily gas thefts

Thu Oct 18, 5:19 PM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. - A 70-year-old man has been charged with grand theft after police watched him siphon off more than 900 gallons of gasoline from underground storage tanks at two gas stations, the Polk County authorities said Wednesday.

Deputies witnessed Hobert Gibson steal gasoline from two stations Tuesday, but sheriff officials believe he did this on a daily basis since at least January. The two gas stations he hit that day were about 40 miles from his Winter Haven home, and police believe it was typical for Gibson to visit a few stations per day across a wide geographical area. He is believed to have sold the stolen gasoline, which he stored at his towing company.

Gibson outfitted a stolen box trailer with tanks able to hold 3,250 gallons and with a trap door underneath, police said. He would pull over near the underground storage tank at a gas station, pop the trailer's hood and pretend to fix a problem, as the trap door obscured the view of gas being pumped into the tanks.

Once Gibson even chatted with a Florida Highway Patrol officer while on one of his missions, he told investigators after his arrest, sheriff's spokeswoman Carrie Rodgers said.

"It was broad daylight, nobody knew that's what he was doing," Rodgers said. "He was that good at it."

Gibson was being held without bond at Hernando County jail because he faces theft charges in multiple counties. It was not known if he had an attorney.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

10.20.16 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 849 Times in 465 Posts

Premium Member

I heard about some thugs doing that right after Katrina. Just w/ an old Buick 225 or something. Not sure where it was happening.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.20.16 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 1,370 Times in 689 Posts

Now if they could just figure out a way to siphen BEFORE the station purchases it, it could be a victimless crime. Unfortunately, the station has to buy the full tank and gets gouged by the oil companies, too. Get it while in route or just after production and no jury would convict this guy.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.