Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default **** REVIEWS Chicago, IL United Center ****

**** REVIEWS Chicago, IL United Center ****

Only Reviews, all non reviews will be deleted.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars and Dreams
    Last Online

07.25.15 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Default Outstanding

Eddie, check...Alex, check... Dave, check... Wolf, check...

Another great show at the United Center. That place is huge, so I was worried about the sound, but I thought it was okay. I was also worried about the crowd, which looked sparse during the Marley guy, but it was packed and rockin' again (I just remember at Allstate, that it looked crowded earlier, but I guess that is the burbs vs. the city). It did, however look like there were some technical issues tonight. Dave and Ed spent some time on the side talking to some tech guy. I don't really know anything about that stuff, but I did see them talking to someone, a few times.

Anyways, great show all the way around. Kind of sad that the Chicago dates I was so looking forward to are over. Again, if you have a chance to see this tour wherever you are please do! My ears are still ringing, and the Mighty VH is definately back.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.07.09 @ 06:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Third and final show for me unless I can make to the west coast for a date. I will be interested to see what first timers thought of this show. I finally had first few rows on Wolf's side this time so the perspective was completely new and always better that close. Packed house again. Some random thoughts:

Lots of guitar problems in this show. Tons of feedback. Several times you could see Ed lip that he couldn't hear. He even apologized to the people in the ring during the solo. Hope he isn't too deaf. It was again different with little guitars intro in there and he sat for the long runs on Eruption. Anyone know what the problem was on Little Guitars? I was filming that one and the song was sort of ruined. Outside the solo, it was Ed's least impressive performance, but it seemed technical problems were most of the hinderance.

Oh yeah, I can't stand sitting on stage right. The bass is always too much in the mix overwhelming everything else. It's REAL LOUD close to the stage, people.

I must say this show was weaker than Greensboro and Rosemont from my perspective, which I acknowledge is skewed a bit because I knew where to look to pick it apart. Just my opinion. Still enjoyed it though.

Also, it was (and would be hopefully in the future for everyone) very easy to sneak some quality recording equipment in. Nobody seemed to care I was taking pictures with my pocket digital Cannon the whole time.

Interesting that up close Dave really looks labored trying his best to give a great performance.

Here's hoping they can all keep it together for another few months and get some new music out shortly after.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.07.14 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was 11th row Eddie's side with a 4 star seat next to the S. AWESOME! This show totally kicked some serious ass. I was at Rosemont Tuesday. JUsat these seats alone made this show completely and totally bad ass! I will have to edit my post with more detail manana! Van Halen is back and tearing up the country!
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.26.12 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow....speechless again. Didn't seem as tight as Tuesday, as mentioned with the tech issues above, but it didn't matter. They still put on one helluva show.

My highlight was witnessing what may have been the first ever "Flying Wolfie". He needs to work on his elevation a bit, but it was cool to see him & Eddie flying together.

As I've stated before....see the show.....then see it again.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.05.08 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rightly or wrongly, I always use an AC/DC show I saw at Madison Square Garden as my concert benchmark. Thus far a show has failed to measure up or surpass that one as my favorite, but last night was a close second.

As mentioned, there were numerous technical difficulties from guitar issues, the band not being able to hear (several here have mentioned Eddie mouthing it to the crowd during the solo but Dave seemed a couple of beats behind on several songs) and the bass being way too prominent in the mix. This was disappointing because the sound at the United Center, while cavernous, has always been relatively good compared to other Chicagoland venues.

That being said, whatever the show lacked in sound quality, it more than made up for in production value and sheer heart. Al is Al, and the drum solo was impressive (I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile before). Wolfie is an immensely talented young man who has a promising future ahead of him. I for one didn’t miss Michael Anthony, and while his bass playing is better than his vocals (Wolfie struggled on “Pretty Woman”) his presence made for a more emotional show. Eddie was clearly beaming with pride, and there were several endearing moments between father and son. You can’t help but remember that he’s 16, still awkward in big baggie clothes and rolling his eyes at his father when he’s leaping around the stage, but he seemed excited to be there and his limited interaction with Dave and the crowd was pretty hysterical.

Speaking of Dave. I think his performance was solid. As referenced above, he seemed to struggle with some of the songs – I suspect more as a product of lousy sound than not knowing the words. He is, however, still a remarkable showman (leaps, kicks and abs that boggle the mind) and was a pleasure to watch. The chemistry between him and the other members of the band was a delight and provides an interesting juxtaposition to the Sammy years. He seemed so grateful to be on that stage with those guys and it showed in his performance. As a (near) life long fan, it was truly a pleasure to see him take the stage – he didn’t disappoint.

But the night clearly belonged to Eddie.

Sound issues aside, the man was, for lack of better term, on fire. He was playing with style and precision. Considering the struggles he’s seen over the last ten years, it seemed to be a man with a reinvigorated passion for both the instrument and the music. His smile lit up the audience, and watching someone perform with such joy inspired even those of us up in the nosebleeds.

As Dave said when he introduced the band at the beginning of the show, last night’s Van Halen was three scoops original and one part inevitable. The sum of the parts was nothing short of an outstanding performance so enjoyable I paid $10 for a bumper sticker at the merchandise stand.

If you have the chance to go, don’t hesitate. As for me, I’m going to see if I can’t get to another show before the tour is up.
    The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar.
    - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Favorite VH Album: Van Halen, then Van Halen II

And yeah, I'm a newbie. What are you going to do about it?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default United Center

I went last night. Not a big concert guy, but sales coverage had a box so I went. I was all the way on the other side of the stadium from the stage. The sound was pretty good, and I didn't need any plugs.

I have to say that Van Halen really blew the doors off the joint last night. They were great, and it was the best concert I've ever been to. I give most of the credit to David Lee Roth. His singing was so spot on. Many of the variations you see on youtube clips make so much more sense live. If its not very clear to the rest of Van Halen that their game is brought to a different level with Roth, then they are beyond hope artistically. Dave did the "I forgot the words" during Doctor last night.

And on that matter...

Not only is the set list the same, but the hugs and all the other stuff you have read about all happen at exactly the same time. If the guys were not in top form musically, this would really drag down the show in terms of energy. They should hug when they mean it, even though it got a big round of applause. Dave didn't ride the inflated mic at the end, which kind of bummed me out. He threw it down at the end, so I suspect that part might be abandoned at the next date.

Guitar: Ed played really well tonight, but his solos often relied on the sliding up the neck wild bend that you see on Romeo Delight clips. But he was still awesome. People have complained about a wandering solo, but I found it very focused -- but also very different. It seemed clear to me that Ed was doing more of a Jimmy Page style solo - a lot of atmosphere more than shredding. I thought it was really great. Al's solo was also focused and the electronic mix of Ed's guitar and other stuff was very reminisent of the stuff they were playing through the P.A. before the show.

Which, correct me if I'm wrong, was music from Dave's BBQ video.

One final note -- this is a new rock show. The way the tickets are sold makes sure stale guys are up front. They have a lot of cash for tickets, but they are a bunch of tossers. I was way in back throwing horns and jumping around, and the guys in the pit looked like they were waiting in the unemployment line. To get a seat up front, you should have to pass a quiz about the group and do some push ups. How can the band keep up the energy faced with these lifeless "fans."

More on the new rock show - its very clear that the boys are playing to the camera rather than the crowd. If you watch the video, the edits and the staging are so precise -- it has to all be planned in advance. I suppose that helps the majority of the crowd, but it has to place artistic constraints on the group, ultimately. Watching through glasses, I got a much more 'live' feel than you got off the gigantic screen.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hung Over Today

Sorry - "I forgot the words" was during Beautiful Girls.

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

humans being
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went last night and managed to upgrade the seats last minute to seats right on the ring Eds side(SWEET!!!!) Now on to the review, the reason I went and pretty much the reason I won't miss a show is because Edward is phenomenal - always has been -he was last night. So I wonder what the airbrushed 4 means on the black guitar he played for most of the night - and no sign of the numbers 5150 ANYWHERE. hmmm
    The fat kid held his own quite well he was a novelty no doubt but for a 16year old to be on that stage bravo... My opinion before was WTF happened to Mikey???? Alex is a friggin robot the guy never grows old or misses a beat. Dave??? was OK, but what sucked is word for word the between song schtick was the same as other shows -bogus!!!! The songs they did were from a truly remarkable time in their career. A time when NOBODY could touch them. However seeing them on this tour did not in any way have that magic. I saw a reunion show of a lineup (minus Mike) that could not get anywhere near the level they were back in their heyday. Don't get me wrong I thought the show was good, and Ed's playing was great. Like I said hes the reason I went... But I truly think anybody going to see this tour expecting a show on par with what they did (watch the US festival show..) will be let down. -unless your "blinded by fandom". Funny thing is back in 04 that tour didn't have the reunion vibe happening - it was all good with Sammy. Don't get me wrong the Dave catalog is EPIC..
    I'm glad I wen't but I wanted to give an honest review, and not ramble that this was the best show I ever seen etc. It wasn't. They didn't do anything wrong but it reminded me TOO MUCH of a reunion tour by a band that does not have the magic they did when they were origonally together.
    Don't shoot!
    Jay rocks...
    "And the Cradle will Rock!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I only have three words: Un-Fucking-Believable...

...alright, so maybe I'll have some more

I will post a full review later, but all I have to say now is, 10x better than 2004. I will have that review, pics, and video for you guys as soon as I get all of it up!
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, FW, 1984 W/Sam: Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Any CVH
    Last Online

05.01.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What can I say, all four guys were fucking awesome! The sound was great, the visuals were great, the singing kicked ass, and of course the musicianship as usual blew me away! The interaction between them all, the camraderie, and the fatherly pride were all fun to see!
    "...And then our children will form a family band, and we will tour the countryside and YOU WON'T BE INVITED!" ~ Ron Burgundy
    ---------------------------------------------------

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Here's my review, as I promised!

------------------------------------------------------------

So my buddy, his friend, and I arrived at the United Center around 6:30 and bought shirts. My friend made me feel really good about going to the show, saying “without you, chances are I wouldn’t even be going to this show, or even cared”. His friend proceeded to say the same thing. We blasted Fair Warning in the car (them being casual fans wanted VH1 and 1984) based on my suggestion on the way there.

After we were at our seats for awhile, Ky-Mani Marley stepped on stage. After two songs I hated it, so I took a piss break and got some hot wings. I spent a total of $55, and 20 of it was on food, which is pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me. I went back to the seats, caught “I Shot the Sheriff” which concluded Marley’s set.

So I waited anxiously for the half hour to pass, watching the VH blimp fly around the crowd. Before you knew it, the lights went down, Ed’s guitar echoed throughout the building, and the riff to “You Really Got Me” started off the show, along with the thunderous roar of the crowd. At the end, Dave went over to Ed and they gave each other a real big hug, essentially saying “This is the real deal” to the crowd. This would medley straight into “I’m the One”.

The band was sounding tight, and at the end of the song, Wolfie ran up to the top of the monstrous “S” shaped stage, spotlight directly on him, and he played the opening bass line to “Runnin’ with the Devil”. A staple at any VH show, and a song any die-hard VH fan is pretty sick of, it actually worked well. The real fun began when they took the break for Dave to introduce the show, and Eddie ripping out the intro to a more obscure VH tune, “Romeo Delight”. Any Rush fan reading this knows what I’m talking about with “Dreamline” lasers, but those were introduced in this song, during the breakdown, where they had broken into the Who classic “Magic Bus” before reprising to “Romeo”. The first highlight of the night for me.

Dave brought out a harmonica, jammed a bit, and thus began “Somebody Get Me a Doctor”, which was a surprise as this song was closely related to ex-bassist Michael Anthony, as for 1998 tour with Gary Cherone singing and the 2004 Hagar reunion, he sang the tune. “Beautiful Girls” and “Dance the Night Away”, two wonderful sing-alongs, came next, before they ripped out “Atomic Punk”. That was one of the few songs from the Roth years I’ve moderately liked, but they tore it up on that one.

Next came a familiar drum line, as the jungle drum intro kicked in with Alex Van Halen counting down the start of the song. Yes, this was “Everybody Wants Some!!”, which proved to be another highlight of the show for me. Ed and Dave were awesome on this one, as their classic swagger came out as if it were 1981 all over again. That medleyed into “So This Is Love?”, where Dave spoke to Wolfie briefly before kicking into the song. Dave first said “Someone’s been practicing the bass! Give it up for Wolfgang Van Halen!” He had every right to, and the fan had every right to cheer long and hard. The kid is a phenomenal bass player. He’s what made this tour happen and what’s keeping it alive. His vocals match up too. He’s no Mike Anthony, but damned if he can’t hold his own out there. After that, Dave asked him “Wolfie, have you ever been in love? Well someday you will be. And like I told you, once you get in you’ll just want to get the fuck out of it!” So after a nice laugh from the crowd, the song was played, very well. “Mean Street” would follow, and I still believe Eddie’s having a hard time pulling off the intro. Nevertheless, the performance sounded good and that’s all that matters.

After this, they went into “Pretty Woman”, which I’ve never cared for and it wasn’t spectacular honestly, but next came the always interesting Alex Van Halen Drum Solo. The guy is a fucking machine. He ranks up there with Peart as one of the best around. He also tried some Latin flavored beats (ala “Balance” Tour 1995) and even added “Outta Love Again” in there! The guy next to me impressed me very much, when after I sang “Outta love!” going along with the song, he joined and sang the next line “once again!”. I thought that was pretty cool. So definitely a highlight.

**Part II On It's Way!**
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

What better way to follow a highlight than with another? “Unchained” came next, and it’s always a fan favorite, no matter what era fan you are. Fist pumping the chorus and belting it out at the same time is always a fun thing. Wolfie even spoke, as Dave said the whole “that suit is you” thing to him, with Wolf replying “Dave? Can you give me a break?” Everyone laughed hard after that, and cheered Wolf on for speaking during the show. “I’ll Wait” followed, with the guy next to me saying “well, time to give my ass a rest!” I agreed, I think this, along with “Pretty Woman” were really the only lowlights in the show. Following this would be the interesting “And the Cradle Will Rock…” which featured piano in place of rhythm guitar! I thought that was damn cool, and the use of the lasers added to the effect.

Next came my all-time favorite song on the planet, by any band, and that was “Hot for Teacher”. While the sound through most of the show was nice and clear, I can see people’s complaints about the sound being a bit too loud on this one. A lot of it at the beginning was pretty hard to determine, but as soon as Dave began to sing you knew where they were. Seeing Dave twice and VH once, it’s safe to say it was nice to see my favorite song played the right way at least once.

Following was “Little Dreamer”, which albeit a cool song, was kind of a resting point live, and it fit in nicely where it was placed. We would move on to another “little” song, and that being “Little Guitars”. This is one of the VERY few songs I’d waited all seven years to hear done live by this lineup, and it didn’t disappointed. Very satisfied by the performance and was easily one of the major highlights of the entire evening.

“Jamie’s Cryin’” was up next, and that satisfied the woman behind me. Throughout the show, maybe four times, she shouted “Jamie’s Cryin’!” hoping it would be played, and when the intro started I looked back and told her this was it, but she must not have believed me. Either way, the song itself was nice. This was followed by “Ice Cream Man” and Dave doing his traditional acoustic rap before the song. “Tonight, we broke the 15 year old record of most beer sold here in Chicago in one night!” Dave told everyone, and it had classic Diamond Dave written all over it. As he went on telling his stories of when the band used to play backyard parties, the guy next to me kept laughing and saying “What the fuck are you talking about, Dave?” In a sense, he had a point, but each time he did I just looked at him and said “Well, Dave’s the only one who can make it entertaining”. I also like how he said “everyone back then had a best friend named Kenny”, because my dad’s best friend growing up was named…Kenny! The song itself ripped as usual, and sounded magnificent.

“Panama” was next and could’ve easily been the song of the night. I must say, I’ve never been a fan of this song, ever. But when I saw them in 2004, this and “Unchained” were the two best songs of the night (go figure, two CVH era tunes), and it was the best song of the 10/18 show. Jumping up and down, shouting the chorus, looking to my friends and singing along with them. It was all so perfect. Pure classic CVH swagger on this one.

Next was Ed’s solo, and quite honestly this could’ve been the second finest part of the evening. He started off sitting, doing “316”, the song for Wolfie (appeared on the 1991 Hagar era For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album, as a dedication to Wolf, who was born on March 16, 1991), and got up to break into the beginning of “Eruption”. He stopped “Eruption” about halfway in, before doing the “Little Guitars” intro (which many people do not know is a separate song from the actual “Little Guitars” on the Diver Down album). After this, the lasers came out and Ed did “Cathedral”, which can be boring on disc, but when seeing it in person, I was mouth agape, just like in 2004. After this, and the “Eddie! Eddie!” chants echoed across to the stage along with the cheering, Ed stopped, covered his face, and as he removed his hand, pointed to the crowd, clearly crying at the fact that everyone was showing there support. He was clearly overwhelmed and it was a special moment in the show. And anyone who knows me knows the impact he’s had on my life the past five years, so I see it as no threat to my masculinity when I say I started to fucking cry myself at the sight. Look in this perspective. I saw him in 2004 when he was on the Loon, not taking care of himself, and generally unhappy. Now in 2007, he’s healthy, sober, and happy, and seeing my personal hero in good shape is definitely a highlight of my year, to be honest. He then broke into the climax of “Eruption” and while the tears in my eyes dried out, I found myself cheering louder than I had all evening. Very special.

So following the solo came “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, which is always good with the crowd, especially the “hey, hey, hey!” part. As the band broke into the encore, the blimp from the beginning of the show made a re-appearance, a disco ball came down, and looked SO cool shining on the crowd, and it fit the theme perfectly, as the keyboard instrumental “1984”, which opened the album of that title, was played, and Dave waved the red flag around in front of the stage, I knew the show was about to end. He ran up the stage, waved the flag in front of the giant screen, and the final song of the evening, “Jump” began. Kind of a sleeper, actually, then again I’ve never cared for the song whatsoever. Still a crowd pleaser, which are always fun. The show concluded with confetti sprinkling across the stage and Dave riding a giant microphone to the stage, and then the band taking their final bows before walking off. The lights came on, and the show was over. Before we left, the fans around us wanted some pics with us, and naturally we couldn’t say no.

So we got out of the United Center around 11:10 (counting the parking lot), and the Loop played a block of VH for after the show. I actually called in and got on the air! They asked me what my favorite part of the show was and I had to say “Romeo Delight, Ed’s Solo. The whole thing was just unbelievable!” They proceeded to play “Romeo Delight” after I’d said that. Very cool moment.

I ended up getting home at 1:00 a.m., took a shower and then immediately went to sleep. I don’t even know what the hell I ended up watching. But I woke up at 7:10 this morning, realizing it was over, my legs in pain, and pissed that I had to go to school on only a few hours of sleep. Not a good morning, but the day was good. My voice is fried, though. I sound like I’ve been smoking for 50 years!

Overall, it’s unbelievable that I’ve seen my three favorite bands all within 40 days of each other. I saw Rush in September, Genesis two weeks ago, and now Van Halen. All of them measured up to their expectations and VH was no different. 100 times better than in 2004, and based on how happy and together they seemed on stage, I don’t believe this is the last time I will be seeing the mighty Van Halen. Only reason I say that is, after seeing footage again from ’04 comparing it to now, the sense of brotherhood just wasn’t there, even early on, like it is now. Sam and Ed never hugged each other, Ed didn’t cry THAT much because he was overwhelmed. It was an unbelievable experience I will never forget.

Thank you Van Halen for giving 110% on October 18, 2007, coming back and giving me the chance to see you guys again, only this time in top form. This show ranks up there with Rush and Genesis this year, and now it’s gonna be DAMN hard to pick my “Concert of the Year” for my “Best in 2007 Music” list this year.

---Setlist---

Intro
    You Really Got Me
    I’m the One
    Runnin’ with the Devil
    Romeo Delight (w/ “Magic Bus” teaser)
    Somebody Get Me a Doctor (w/ “Spoonful” teaser)
    Beautiful Girls
    Dance the Night Away
    Atomic Punk
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    So This Is Love?
    Mean Street
    Pretty Woman
    Alex Van Halen Solo (w/ “Outta Love Again”)
    Unchained
    I’ll Wait
    And the Cradle Will Rock…
    Hot for Teacher
    Little Dreamer
    Little Guitars
    Jamie’s Cryin’
    Dave Rap / Ice Cream Man
    Panama
    Eddie Van Halen Solo (w/ “316”, “Little Guitars”, “Cathedral”, and “Eruption”)
    Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love

---Encore---

Jump

**Pics and video will be posted tomorrow. I need to catch up on sleep!**

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Default Good show. But...

Without question - seeing Eddie play like his old self was worth the price of admission alone. Forget 2004 Ed. Even his tone is better... not that spongy, too-tubey sound we've heard lately.

Dave was Dave... the goofball, showman. His voice started strong and faded... he was doing more yelling than singing by the end of the show. But he was definitely in his element.

Al was as solid as I've ever heard him.

Certainly - Wolfgang has inherited his father's talents. For a kid picking up the bass recently, he can cut it. No doubt. But he just doesn't belong there. I found myself not watching him, sorta blending in... which, ironically, is my complaint. Michael Anthony always stood out for me. His abilities aside, Mike was always having such a good time... laughing, smiling, the everyday schmoo like you and me who happens to play bass in the world's greatest rock band. That element was noticeably missing. It would be as if Al had left. Van Halen has never been about Ed & Dave. I don't understand that argument. And this show verified it for me.

Still, all in all - a good performance musically. Just lacked some spontaneity and a key ingredient was missing. I would see them again, but I've certainly been to much better Van Halen shows.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.03.08 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a first-timer (who never saw VH and who, I hate to admit, hadn't bought their music in YEARS), I loved seeing the band live! I was sitting on Wolfie's side and couldn't see the screen that well, but I got the idea. I thought the sound was muddled at times, but I am still SO glad I got to see the band, esp. Eddie, having such a great time. Not to be a sap, but I'm really happy that he's feeling good despite all the stuff and can really enjoy the music and being up there with his boy...age helps you appreciate, if nothing else...